Something that just does not make sense at all (Syrio)

ShadowRaven

Yeah really. I fucking hate that. All these theories about Tyrek Lannister coming back with Varys to be the new lord of Casterly Rock. Bull fucking shit. If Tyrek is still alive and comes back that way, then GRRM has lost his edge completely.

Same goes with Syrio. He needs to be dead. Or else it's stupid and silly.

Also, to a lesser extent, Aeron Greyjoy. I know he's alive, he has confirmed chapters in the sixth book so i'm over it, but I still think it's dumb. It would've been perfectly understandable and make sense if he was murdered by Euron but made it look like he simply went missing. Ugh. GRRM needs to learn that doing the same writing technique(in this case, pretending to kill characters when he didn't) gets old and obnoxious as fuck.

It's okay if it happens every now and then with main characters and if it's BELIEVABLE, both the supposed death and the come-back, but it's easily the worst aspect of the ASOIAF books

I think he writes the fog of war quite well. While it's nice to know what's going on in a story part of the way he tells the story involves inaccurate rumors used to make decisions and drive the plot. Davos being reported dead while Manderly secretly schemes isn't GRRM using cheap plot devices to keep a well liked character alive, it's a masterful (imho) way of showing from a POV exactly how effective a disinformation campaign can be. And with other characters like Arya it's just a suspenseful ending to a chapter. I don't think Syrio is alive but if he smacked Trant on the head a few times to no effect and turned to run and is tutoring some other Lord's daughter somewhere else safe I have little problem with it.

I'm looking at you Tyrek Lannister and Benjen Stark - I better not see either of your asses or ever learn about what happens to you. (I feel like Benjen will most likely return, but still doesn't change the fact I think it's very realistic that people sometimes disappear/die and no one ever learns about it)

U sounded like a friend of mine now lol

With all the characters presumed dead that turn up alive later (Bran, Arya, Bran and Rickon, maybe Davos, etc) you can't count someone as dead unless the death is witnessed.

Syrio has no fear of Moore. He comments that he's slow, for one thing. He doesn't have to defeat Moore, just delay him until Arya gets away. So you have Moore clomping around in his iron suit chasing a water dancer. Like trying to kill a fly with a 5 pound sledgehammer. Being First Sword in a city of swordsmen implies not just a high level of skill but an awareness of one's oppponent. He certainly knew what Moore was about to do nearly as soon as Moore did.

Syrio lives! Because. Whether he shows up again is unimporrtant.

With all the characters presumed dead that turn up alive later (Bran, Arya, Bran and Rickon, maybe Davos, etc) you can't count someone as dead unless the death is witnessed.

Who presumed them dead? Only the unobservant readers.

Syrio has no fear of Moore. He comments that he's slow, for one thing.

Thats a taunt. And irrelevant. See below.

He doesn't have to defeat Moore, just delay him until Arya gets away.

Either he's a liar and a fraud, or he has to defeat him. The First Sword of Bravos does not run.

So you have Moore clomping around in his iron suit chasing a water dancer. Like trying to kill a fly with a 5 pound sledgehammer.

I guess you didn't read the whole scene then? The clomping is done. They are already at close range and Trant has snapped Syrio's sword and has him within reach. All he has to do is swing his sword.

Being First Sword in a city of swordsmen implies not just a high level of skill but an awareness of one's oppponent. He certainly knew what Moore was about to do nearly as soon as Moore did.

Ahh yes, thats why Syrio let Trant catch and destroy his weapon.

Syrio lives! Because.

Ahh, we get to the real reason people can't put this to bed,

"Because". That explains everything.

Whether he shows up again is unimporrtant.

It will certainly make a lot of people happy if he does. And it will almost certainly be signficant if he does.

But he won't.

Syrio was talented enough to catch the soldiers off guard and make short work of them, providing a distraction for Arya to escape. However, Trant is a member of the Kingsguard and likely a very competent fighter; he's also armored, whereas Syrio is not. Syrio didn't pick up a longsword because that doesn't complement his style. He just provided Arya with a means to escape and sacrificed himself in the process. It was a very altruistic action... He agreed to be in Lord Eddard's service, but he was not bound to save Arya's life. He did it for her, and died for it.

Archived