Drawing Blood From a Bolton

butterbumps!

The Starks have grey eyes.

awoiaf.westeros.org on House Stark.

Moreover, Jon and Arya, the children with the strongest "Stark" look to them both have strong connections to their direwolves, stronger than Sansa's ever was. OTOH, Bran, an uber-greenseer with the strongest warging powers looks like his mother (and thus the Tully's), not like the Starks.

OTOH, I do think the grey eyes thing might be a sign that both the Bolton's and the Starks have a genetic connection to the Others and ice magic.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. I know the Starks tend toward grey eyes. A lot of people with Northern blood (I suppose FM blood) generally have grey eyes (Craster, Varamyr, Rattleshirt so on). But with the exception of potentially Brandon "Ice Eyes" Stark, the colorless (i.e. extremely light grey) eyes of the Boltons are non-existant thus far. I guess I should add that ilyn Payne comes a bit close, but this is a big Bolton thing.

I think we agree on R'hollor and the Other being opposites, kind of the different sides of the same coin, or maybe in this case different features of the same magic. Melisandre also used leeches to take blood from Edric Storm, saying there is power in the king's blood, and, at least according to her, that caused the death of Balon, Joffrey and Robb.

Now if Roose is a descendant of NK, he has king's blood too. Maybe he is leeching himself to use his blood for some ice magic similarly to Melisandre? (Although I wouldn't know what that magic of his in particular would be.)

I'm just wondering about that whole leeching thing that both Roose and Melisandre use, so maybe there is a connection.

• 1 month later...

I do agree with most of what was presented in this thread. My first post on this forum actually drew connections between stone men and others and brought my suggestions that Roose and Ramsay Bolton might be others "wearing skins" (like the faceless men wear faces) and that the the skins rot after a while (reek 1) if they are not leeched to keep the skins "fresh". I also drew connections between the Bolton hunting and Old Nan's stories of the others. Your post makes lots of sense! (A lot more so than mine) this is a great theory, I'll be interested in finding out what GRRM says about the Bolton's in future books...

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanna post a part of my reply in the Others Origin Thread regarding the boltons here:

The first men didn't just happen to find westeros while jogging, they were fullfilling a now lost prophecy to find a power in the West/North, just how Asshai is in the South/East. When they arrived, the COTF tried to stop them from achieving their goals, but upon reaching the North, their knowledge of ICE MAGIC (yes they used this even before reaching Westeros) became much stronger.

The first men split into two groups, While what will be the Kings of Winter, Starks, were able to make a truce with COTF, another very important bloodline (Boltons - read 'drawing blood from boltons') to their magic to another level.

Both could warg, and Boltons began using corpses to Warg in, which was unacceptable by the old gods, but they, like craster 'prayed to crueler gods than you and I' The Great Other.

Ono more quote to mention before my final point is Aegon Targaryans comment 'Fire consumes, Cold Preserves '

Upon warging with corpses and praying to a crueler God 'The Great Other' the Ice Magic took their souls, they bodies and preserved them forever... The Others are Humans (possible Boltons predecessors) that survived the Starks defeat of the Long Night. Their Wargin powers became so strong they could control large numbers of dead corpses, White Walkers. Also the Night's King old nan discussed, was a Stark... and a bolton (Parents? or Grandparents?). The true history of the Boltons are now thought of as legend.

I also thing that when Dragons roamed all over the world, even Westeros, Their were dragon-riders, maybe lizard like, or burt skin as Fire Consumes... And in an older Song of ICE and FIRE, the lost religion of THE GREAT OTHER prophecized a saviour which saved them from the fire, like R'holler now promises AA.

Just wanna post a part of my reply in the Others Origin Thread regarding the boltons here:

The first men didn't just happen to find westeros while jogging, they were fullfilling a now lost prophecy to find a power in the West/North, just how Asshai is in the South/East. When they arrived, the COTF tried to stop them from achieving their goals, but upon reaching the North, their knowledge of ICE MAGIC (yes they used this even before reaching Westeros) became much stronger.

The first men split into two groups, While what will be the Kings of Winter, Starks, were able to make a truce with COTF, another very important bloodline (Boltons - read 'drawing blood from boltons') to their magic to another level.

Both could warg, and Boltons began using corpses to Warg in, which was unacceptable by the old gods, but they, like craster 'prayed to crueler gods than you and I' The Great Other.

Ono more quote to mention before my final point is Aegon Targaryans comment 'Fire consumes, Cold Preserves '

Upon warging with corpses and praying to a crueler God 'The Great Other' the Ice Magic took their souls, they bodies and preserved them forever... The Others are Humans (possible Boltons predecessors) that survived the Starks defeat of the Long Night. Their Wargin powers became so strong they could control large numbers of dead corpses, White Walkers. Also the Night's King old nan discussed, was a Stark... and a bolton (Parents? or Grandparents?). The true history of the Boltons are now thought of as legend.

Well the Boltons are now the scariest family in Westeros. Is this from TWOIAF? I know now either Ramsay or Roose will survive this battle at winterfel and no doubt the frey baby will continue the war. I think we have a piece of the ending.

• 1 month later...

This sounds coherent, but where did you hear this from? Or is this just your theory? But good stuff, this sounds interesting.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I think we agree on R'hollor and the Other being opposites, kind of the different sides of the same coin, or maybe in this case different features of the same magic. Melisandre also used leeches to take blood from Edric Storm, saying there is power in the king's blood, and, at least according to her, that caused the death of Balon, Joffrey and Robb.

Now if Roose is a descendant of NK, he has king's blood too. Maybe he is leeching himself to use his blood for some ice magic similarly to Melisandre? (Although I wouldn't know what that magic of his in particular would be.)

I'm just wondering about that whole leeching thing that both Roose and Melisandre use, so maybe there is a connection.

first: even if he's not a descendant of the NK, roose has king's blood. the boltons have been kings in the north (or their section of it) periodically throughout history. they were called the red kings.

second: leechings were considered a kind of pro-active healthcare, and this is why roose commonly leeches. he is a health fanatic, probably owing to his paranoia. melisandre only needs the blood to work her magic. the leeches provide an easy way to remove and transport the blood away from her victims. it is not burning the leeches that gives her power to see into the flames, it is burning the king's blood within the leeches that matter. she could just as well use a knife and cut the poor bastard, but as she tells stannis she's killed many goats, and not one has seen the blade.

Archived