Geographically or architecturally, to you: what are the most striking/beautiful places in Westeros/Essos

StannisBamfatheon

The Vale seems lovely, but I have this intense fear of heights, so that's a no-go for me. The Water Gardens in Dorne sound lovely,

Naath really appealed to me,(except for the vegetarian part--love meat--but I'd bear with it) but the slavers bring it down. Braavos also sounds really amazing.

Georgraphically, I love the look of evergreen forests, snow capped mountains and lakes - places like the Pacific Northwest (particuarly British Columbia) or Scandinavia. When reading particuarly the chapters about Bran travelling North in ASoS I got the most beautiful mental images from his descriptions that reminded me of places like that.

Architecturally, I'm gonna have to go with either Winterfell or Storm's End.

I've always been so impressed with his ability to craft such different environments. If I were taking a "greatest hits" tour, I'd love to visit most of those mentioned: Braavos, The Water Gardens, the Eyrie and Dragonstone.

If I were going to stay awhile in a place, though, I'd choose Winterfell (hot water running through the walls! The godswood! How can you beat that?) or White Harbor (loved Davos' description of it).

• 4 weeks later...

I've always been so impressed with his ability to craft such different environments. If I were taking a "greatest hits" tour, I'd love to visit most of those mentioned: Braavos, The Water Gardens, the Eyrie and Dragonstone.

If I were going to stay awhile in a place, though, I'd choose Winterfell (hot water running through the walls! The godswood! How can you beat that?) or White Harbor (loved Davos' description of it).

Hear hear! All those are great, and White Harbor seems like a great place to have an evening drink with a veiw of the ocean during summer months.

I was most impressed, oddly, by Riverrun. I had been thinking, during TGoT that it must be a really lame place, out in the open, along rivers...seemed like it would be boring. But of course, when we actually get there, it's so interesting how the walls and moats are integrated with the rivers - and it turns out to be one of the stronger castles, resisting a long time against odds.

I was also enchanted by teh ruined cities along the Rhoyne, even dreadful Chroyane.

It'd be amazing to see the world from the top of the Wall in summer, when it'd be easiest to see a long way.

Also, if you were lucky enough to have a dragon and be able to fly, then flying over the mountainous regions such a as the Vale would be amazing. :D

For cities or towns:

- Bravoss

- Old Town

Geographically:

- The Vale

- The Rhoyne river with all the ruins of ancient civilizations on it's pass. There is something hauntingly beautiful about this that I find very appealing.

- Winterfell's godswood

Buildings/Structures:

- The Wall

- The Titan of Bravoss

- The Eyrie

- Casterly Rock

- The water gardens

- The walls of Qarth

I like the Reach. Sounds peaceful and beautiful and chivalrous.

I would like to have some POV characters go to Tarth so we find out what it is really like. (hmmm I hope this hasn't happened already and I flicked through it).

I have to say I have a prejudice against Kings Landing because the horrible things that happen there give it a sense of peril, also newcomers always remark on the stink.

On the other hand Braavos seems like it would have to be smelly and dangerous too but it sounds very exciting and its origins are so romantic. I was looking at some of the depictions of it and noticing just how important the canals are, I guess it is like Venice.

Archived