Is Mel really as wrong as often as everyone here thinks?

JaegrM

Well, before these systems and precision-guided missiles etc. the method of bombing, for example, was simply to sow so many bombs to the area that some were bound to hit the target. As I said it´s certainly improvement to have some info than no info.

Her actions are in the books. She went behind Stannis, became his "right hand" of sorts, gave major aid in key points of Stannis' campaign.

For the record, I don´t approve much of what she does either. Like I noted that is beside the point - not an issue in this thread, which was about her being wrong in her visions, amateur in her wizardly ways etc.

Faulty information in military campaigns is an absolute disaster and leads to massive loss of life.

I don't really see where you are going with this satellite imagery thing because if you

1) see a grey girl on a dying horse and inform your commander that its Arya Stark - which sets a whole chain events in motion - when actually it is not Arya Stark and you don't have a clue who it is

2) see a guy in an antlered helm smashing your army in battle and tell your commander that he needs to fight and kill his brother only for it to turn out that the guy in the antlered helm is someone else completely

you are absolutely not providing anything of any use.

In fact people on your side are dying because of you.

In fact you murdered your commander's brother, even using him to carry out the murder (something you have understandably kept secret from him) because you can't tell use your "satellite images" reliably

How is this a benefit?

How is this a benefit?

Well, you can circle about it any way you want, but simple answer to this simple question: Stannis and his campaign wouldn´t have last long without Mel. Or do you think otherwise?

I brought the satellite parallel to show that partial information is beneficial, even if it´s sometimes fuzzy, not always exact and even if comprehensive intrepretation is not included. Information about future being especially useful, I would imagine. In my mind this is evident - I dont mind or care if you see it otherwise.

In organizing a royal intelligence team, I would hire Mel in it. You would pick the guy who waits for ravens, sometimes sends one. Maybe he would get more exact information, nothing from the future though, but at least something about the (not-so-recent) past. Whatever they chose to tell you.

I'll throw another misjudgment in. She says she doesn't like Patchface because he is Shireen's constant companion and whenever she looks in the flames she sees Shireen with the shadow of death near her. Well didn't Val hit the nail on the head when she tells Jon that greyscale sleeps but never dies, it would be kinder to smother her with a pillow and to take the Monster (Mance / really Gilly's son) out of the tower "get him away from the dead girl". Mel sees it in her flames she just doesn't know what it means.

No, Mel says She see's skulls dancing around Patchface and blood on his lips. Nothing about Shireen.

VAL tells Jon to get her Monster (Gilly's kid) out of the tower Shirreen resides in because any wood's witch will tell you greyscale is never gone, but only goes dormant.

Edit:

I read Val as Mel in your post, so my second paragraph may be a moot point.

Well, you can circle about it any way you want, but simple answer to this simple question: Stannis and his campaign wouldn´t have last long without Mel. Or do you think otherwise?

I brought the satellite parallel to show that partial information is beneficial, even if it´s sometimes fuzzy, not always exact and even if comprehensive intrepretation is not included. Information about future being especially useful, I would imagine. In my mind this is evident - I dont mind or care if you see it otherwise.

In organizing a royal intelligence team, I would hire Mel in it. You would pick the guy who waits for ravens, sometimes sends one. Maybe he would get more exact information, nothing from the future though, but at least something about the (not-so-recent) past. Whatever they chose to tell you.

Well, what has Mel done to make Stannis' campaign last longer?

She used him to kill Renly and brought him the storm lords, yes. Do you honestly think he will forgive her when he finds out about this. Davos knows how Penrose died and Catelyn and Brienne suspect Stannis killed Renly.

It is going to catch up with her and Mel is going to have to account for her actions.

Do you still want her on your intel team? Do you think Stannis will? I don't.

Archived