How far into the books will the Others be defeated?

Arya Targaryen

Human interactions are more interesting than a huge war against an evil, unhuman force, that's true. But I don't think the books won't cover the fight - that's why I think it won't last that long. There is space for human interactions during and after that war, too. And I think, that a united Westeros, which is prepared to finally step up to fight the Others is a sort of happy ending, and not at all satisfying. And I don't think the Others will wait until Jon or whoever is around, finally unite Westeros. They will attack before that - so they will have a chance to spread all over Westeros.

That seems to be sort of given, but GRRM says he only included dragons because one of his nephews (? or some kid around him ?) wanted dragons.

Oh Jesus. I hope that is apochryphal. It sounds like what Lucas did with Ewoks.

I am already no big fan of GRRM, but if this true, he has declined seriously in my eyes.

So the dragons won't be the clue that solves everything. I'm not even sure how the dragons will react to winter or snowstorms (we know the Others often come in snowstorms). We also know the dragons don't like rain. I guess they don't like cold either. I just don't see them fighting effectively against a cold, snowstorm-making force.

Tell me what 'A Song of Ice and Fire' even means to you. It screams Others versus Dragons to me.

Given the way humans are written - perhaps the Others will be selfish back-stabbers, and the dragons will participate in incestuous orgies, but I still think a major war between them HAS to happen.

I am pretty certain the Others hate fire every bit as much as the dragon hate cold.

I am pretty certain the Others hate fire every bit as much as the dragon hate cold.

Well the one instance in which an Other got near fire was when Grenn was waving his torch at it. It didn't seem to have a problem. It's possible dragon fire is different but as of yet there is no indication the Others hate fire.

Tell me what 'A Song of Ice and Fire' even means to you. It screams Others versus Dragons to me.

I don't really know what it should mean. There can be different meanings. Others vs dragons is one of them. However, the "song" doesn't scream a "battle" or "fight" for me. That is "dance". The song of ice and fire is more about some sort of harmony or balace, not an epic war between them. So whatever it means to me, it is most certainly not dragons vs Others.

Maybe (crackpot time!) the Others are really some sort of ice-magic-trapped humans, who can be "saved" somehow, so the "Others" will cease to exist, therefore be defeated. Bran may find a way to deal with this problem.

My opinion is, that in the end, the Others have been dealt with for good, so the seasons will return to normal, and there won't be any need for the NW or the Wall.

"A Song of Ice and Fire" is a quote from Rhaegar, as he was holding the baby Aegon, heard by Dany when she was at the House of Undead. To put it simply, while metaphorically speaking it could mean many different things, Others vs Dragons, North vs South, Jon Snow vs Dany Targ, the phrase "Song of Ice and Fire, as used in the Book, clearly refers to one single individual who will be "The Prince That Was Promised"

Here's the quote from the book,

"The man had her brother’s hair, but he was taller, and his eyes were a dark indigo rather than lilac. “Aegon,” he said to a woman nursing a newborn babe in a great wooden bed. “What better name for a king?”

“Will you make a song for him?” the woman asked.

“He has a song,” the man replied. “He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire.”

• 5 months later...

I think that the Others will be defeated or at least restrained permanently towards the end of ADOS, be it in a small confrontation or (hopefully) a HUGE EPIC BATTLE between the dragons and the Others (plus whoever Dany can round up). And hopefully Dany will sacrifice herself to save the ungrateful Westerosi.

I hope the Others are done early in aDoS. Personally the ice zombie apocalypse doom is the most uninteresting arc in the series (which includes everything that happens in Pyke) and I don't want Planetos to be apocalyptic. Plus it would make all the theories muffed up if there was no War of the Dawn. And I want to see whoever ends up on the throne and how they rule

I just want to see Westeros under the Long Night. I mean, it's going to be bloody awesome seeing EVERYTHING conquered by the ice zombies. Kind of like Dany's vision in the TV show version of the HotU of the throne room ruined and covered in snow. I want to see UnTommen!

But as to the meaning of the title A Dream of Spring: As many have said in various threads, the Others will be defeated but the Long Night has just begun. We will leave Westeros covered in snow and its surviving people struggling to survive. But they have hope. They have a dream of spring. Maybe the ADOS epilogue will be the son of Lord Rickon Stark going to his first beheading on the first day of spring...

Archived