[Book Spoilers] Shireen in place of Edric storm

locke and key

One of the things I've noticed while looking through the cast list for season 3 is that no-one has been cast as edric storm who any book reader will know has a very important role in davos' storyline for the first 1/2 of ASOS which is what season 3 is base upon.

However, in the casting video released one of the cast members who was highlighted was Kerry ingram as shireen Baratheon stannis' daughter but other than a few scenes playing with edric she doesn't actually do much in ASOS.

so my theory is that the showrunners have got rid of edric's storyline in the season and put shireen in his role I.E. Mel will try and sarifice her to rhlor instead of him.

Now while this may seem quite outlandish to many as even stannis might not be so cold hearted as to effectiveley kill his own daughter. But bear with me as along with the 2 facts I already have listed above there are many other reason's this might be the case.

• It would be very hard to introduce edric storm to non-book readers as all the storm's end scenes were cut out of season 2 and none of the lannister guard tryed to pursue him like they did gendry so it would be hard for them to introduce him without having to explain why the lannisters didn't go after him for being one of roberts bastards and considering the fact that he'd only be in this season it's a bit of waste to build up his character along with all the other new cast in this series, whereas shireen will feature again in scenes on the wall and viewers already know stannis has a wife so the idea of him having a daughter is not difficult for them to grasp.
  • It would give a reason for them casting selyse this season rather than in later ones as she doesn't really do anything till ADWD in the books but if her daughter was potentially being killed she would be much more central to the storyline at this time in the tv series as she'd have strong opinions either for or against it.
  • if Stannis was prepared to kill his own nephew (edric storm) why not his own daughter.
  • Shireen is stannis' daughter and therefore fit's the idea of having 'kings blood' as stannis calls himself king.
  • It would be an interesting storyline of moral dilemna for stannis
  • It would make mel seem a lot more powerful if she could convince stannis to kill his own child
  • and stannis at a lot more of a low after season 2 if he'd allowed mel to take all this power over him
  • Un-like edric we wouldn't have to say goodbye to shireen at the end of the series as davos could just reveal the letter from the wall first without having to smuggle her away as it would provide (I think) a much better resolution to davos' storyline as it would show him overcoming melisandre's influence rather than simply evading it.
  • Shireen would stay on as she's stannis' daughter and go to the wall but it would then be interesting to see how her potential sacrifice by her father made her feel about him which would develop her character further than in the books and it would also serve for stannis as a haunting reminder fo what he'd almost done.

Write in the comments below whether you agree with me and if not why not or if you do agree with me do you like this potential large change to the storyline

I agree this will happen, and I expect that they'll have Davos interrupt the sacrifice ceremony (or impede it before it begins.) to make it more dramatic. I'm a bit worried about this making Stannis seem too extreme and unlikeable, but providing they write the plot line well they can show how conflicted Stannis is on the matter.

This how they'll do it, that much is sure. But in my opinion this will seriously distort a lot of characters, first and foremost Stannis himself, and Selyse, but also, I think, Davos. And perhaps even Melisandre. I don't see how Selyse could remain/be a fervent follower of the Lord of Light and Melisandre if Mel is trying to convince Stannis to sacrifice his own child. They seem to set up Selyse as a version of Alannys Harlaw Greyjoy (who seems to be dead in the show), i.e. a woman who sits sickly in her tower and does not care about what's going on outside. Selyse in the book is ambitious and very aware of her status and role as Queen. She and her men essentially are the backbone of Stannis's power in season 3 until he starts to recruit wildlings and Northmen to his cause. If Stannis should really die in TWoW, Selyse will become Queen Regent for her daughter Queen Shireen, and thus may have major/real impact on the story.

I don't like the fact that season 3 is most likely putting Stannis and Mel against all the other people on Dragonstone (meaning Selyse, Shireen, and Davos), and I actually liked the fact that Mel only got into Stannis's bed and heart through Selyse.

But this whole thing will really distort Stannis's character: If he really considers to sacrifice his only child to win the Iron Throne, he will effectively terminate his own future. Who is going to respect/follow a man who murders his own child? How could Davos even talk to a man like that? And how will Davos be able to prevent Stannis from doing this? He can't ship Shireen away like book Davos saved Edric, since Shireen will eventually become important. She will be declared Queen Shireen in TWoW.

Stannis never made up his mind on the Edric issue in the book, but it's clear that he only way able to consider this whole thing because 1. he did not know Edric very much, 2. he did resent how Robert had fathered the boy on his wedding feast, and 3. he considered this thing the only option to get what he wanted (i.e. power to protect his family from the Lannisters). We have to keep in mind that Stannis condemns Lord Alester Florent to death in ASoS because the man actually tried to deliver Shireen to the Lannisters (as hostage and betrothed to Prince Tommen). Melisandre may believe/try to convince Stannis in ASoS that he has to sacrifice Edric because he is Azor Ahai and as such this would be his destiny (since she could wake dragons from stone during that ritual). But Stannis himself does not believe that nonsense. He does not want to fulfill an ancient prophecy. He wants the strength and power to win the Iron Throne and to destroy his enemies. That's why he is considering all of that. But in his position a man like him would never consider to murder his own child.

My guess is that this story has the most potential of all the plots in season 3 to really piss me off. But we'll have to see about that.

This is a popular theory and I do agree with you. It's a nice list of arguments you have in the op.

However, I'm not so sure on the solution you propose with the letter. On one hand, it does tie nicely in a "Davos learns to read"-seasonal character arc, but I'd guess they would downplay the letter if they can to keep the surprise punch of Stannis saving the day up. Also, it would comparatively be too early on the timeline with regards to the wall. Jon needs to fight off one attack from the South and one from the North and getting imprisoned by Thorne before Stannis can arrive. So by reading the letter at the end of season 3, you pull out the basis for a season 4 storyline for Stannis. But I'm not sure how Davos can save Shireen from Melisandre. There needs to be a way for that though. But I'm sure the writers have a good idea for that ;)

One possibility would be to have Davos take Shireen hostage to keep her safe before Stannis has reached his decision (so that Stannis isn't so unsympathetic as to sacrifice his own daughter.), and demand that Stannis promise not to sacrifice her. Then Stannis is about to punish Davos, who takes his letter.

Yeah, but, well, Stannis considering (or even wanting) to sacrifice his own daughter will make as much sense to me as this whole 'I'll give you a son'-scene in season 2. I still don't understand that. If he wants a son, why is Mel using that 'son' to murder Renly? Why not make the whole thing 'You have to fuck me, else I (or the Lord of Light) can't/won't make you king/give you what you want'. That way, the whole thing and Stannis commanding Davos to enable Mel to murder Renly would have worked much better. Show Stannis knows what's about to happen. But when did show Stannis learn that his heart's desire, his son, is not going to live all that long...?

I can't wait to see how Stannis is going to explain to us that he has to kill his daughter. I don't see an option how he could possible explain that to the audience. Nor do I see a way how Mel could make him believe that this would make sense... Or how (and why) Davos would not to change the decision of a man who actually considers such an atrocity...

Yeah, but, well, Stannis considering (or even wanting) to sacrifice his own daughter will make as much sense to me as this whole 'I'll give you a son'-scene in season 2. I still don't understand that. If he wants a son, why is Mel using that 'son' to murder Renly? Why not make the whole thing 'You have to fuck me, else I (or the Lord of Light) can't/won't make you king/give you what you want'. That way, the whole thing and Stannis commanding Davos to enable Mel to murder Renly would have worked much better. Show Stannis knows what's about to happen. But when did show Stannis learn that his heart's desire, his son, is not going to live all that long...?

I can't wait to see how Stannis is going to explain to us that he has to kill his daughter. I don't see an option how he could possible explain that to the audience. Nor do I see a way how Mel could make him believe that this would make sense... Or how (and why) Davos would not to change the decision of a man who actually considers such an atrocity...

I think so long as they don't have Stannis actually reach his decision it will be fine. Stannis is a harsh man, and I think that many people would be conflicted in such a situation. Emotionally you obviously wouldn't want to sacrifice your own daughter, but logically you know that one life for millions is a small sacrifice. It's a little harsher than how it goes down in the books, but I don't think it's un-salvageable, providing we don't see him reaching a conclusion before Davos takes matters into his own hands, leaving the audience to decide whether or not Stannis would have done it for themselves.

They can also scale up the importance of greyscale. If that's a real stigma and diminishes her marriage prospects or even life expectancy that could lead him more to considering it. (It also has a thematic connection to Tywin struggling with finding a suitable bride for Tyrion, the monster)

Other than that, I'm also not sure how they wanna pull it off, but I'm looking forward how the show tackles this problem ;)

They can also scale up the importance of greyscale. If that's a real stigma and diminishes her marriage prospects or even life expectancy that could lead him more to considering it. (It also has a thematic connection to Tywin struggling with finding a suitable bride for Tyrion, the monster)

Other than that, I'm also not sure how they wanna pull it off, but I'm looking forward how the show tackles this problem ;)

Perhaps the greyscale could be something Shireen contracts this season? It would make the idea of Stannis sacrificing his daughter more understandable if it looks like she's going to die anyway. It even makes Stannis even more sympathetic in a way.

Well, they would have to make us understand how exactly Shireen's death is going to save millions. How exactly is that going to work? That's not even explained in the book, so I very much doubt that could come up with a good explanation in the show. Mel awaking/creating dragons will actually kill a lot of people, not save them. Stannis would continue to wage a war even if he has dragons.

By the way, if they keep the whole thing about the leeches, and Mel 'causing' the deaths of Balon, Robb, and Joffrey, the sacrifice thing may only be really discussed in season 4. Stannis would only consider killing Shireen after Joffrey's death. And he won't be killed in season 3.

Yeah, this is a change I'm very afraid of and one that is very likely to happen. It could ruin all the characters of the Dragonstone arc, unless it's written incredibly. I hope there is an Edric Storm. They don't always reveal all the actors before the show airs and he could be a featured extra. There's one shot of Melisandre in the last Invitation to the Set video where she's looking at someone that looks like Gendry from behind. It could just be Stannis, but it doesn't look like him to me. Maybe they found Gendry's twin brother, so they give Gendry's actor more space in the show as well? Well, better than having Shireen taking over the role of Edric Storm.

I can see that happening, but I would hate it, and I hope they don't do it. It would hurt both Stannis' and Mel's characters. Stannis is a hard man, but he is sympathetic, especially after he arrives at the north, but I can't see how the audience will forgive him if he's contemplating to sacrifice his own daughter. And Mel will look like a stereotypical evil witch - which especially after DwD I think is a big misunderstanding of her character.

If they would only introduce us to Stannis's family in season 3, and heavily feature on Davos's arc (i.e. him on the rock in the sea, finding his faith, plotting to murder Mel, being thrown in a cell, his eventual release, learning to read etc.) then Edric Storm could actually be properly introduced in season 4. Since Stannis can only arrive at the Wall at the very end of season 4 (when the Battle behind the Wall is going to happen), it's actually not that unlikely that the whole sacrifice thing will only be introduced in season 4. The Dragonstone characters won't disappear for nearly a complete season, which is what they would have to do if the sacrifice plot would culminate in season 3. It's final resolution is Davos reading from the letter of the Night's Watch, after all.

Depending on how things seem to unfold in the show, Maester Aemon and the people at Castle Black will only learn about the attack of the Others when Jon and/or Samwell return to the Wall. And that is only going to happen at the end of season 3 (the way season 2 ended strongly indicates that Sam won't send any ravens to Castle Black!). Which could indicate that the letter about the Others/wildlings may reach Dragonstone only in season 4.

That way, Edric Storm could be introduced in season 4, just as Shireen and Selyse will be introduced in season 3. They don't need to show him all the time, especially if Stannis cannot stand him. And he could have lived all the time on Dragonstone, so the fact that the whole Storm's End plot has been dropped in season 2 does not prove anything.

Well, they would have to make us understand how exactly Shireen's death is going to save millions. How exactly is that going to work? That's not even explained in the book, so I very much doubt that could come up with a good explanation in the show. Mel awaking/creating dragons will actually kill a lot of people, not save them. Stannis would continue to wage a war even if he has dragons.

By the way, if they keep the whole thing about the leeches, and Mel 'causing' the deaths of Balon, Robb, and Joffrey, the sacrifice thing may only be really discussed in season 4. Stannis would only consider killing Shireen after Joffrey's death. And he won't be killed in season 3.

Well, presumably the explanation will remain the same: waking the stone dragons to fight the Others. If you aren't happy with the explanation then that's a beef with the books first and foremost.

As for when exactly Stannis would reach his decision, that's my point. Davos will see the mounting "evidence" for Melisandre being correct, fear the worst and preempt her by taking Shireen. Then have Melisandre plead Stannis to sacrifice her, only for Davos to reveal he's keeping her safe. Pretty much exactly as it happens in the books.

If they would only introduce us to Stannis's family in season 3, and heavily feature on Davos's arc (i.e. him on the rock in the sea, finding his faith, plotting to murder Mel, being thrown in a cell, his eventual release, learning to read etc.) then Edric Storm could actually be properly introduced in season 4. Since Stannis can only arrive at the Wall at the very end of season 4 (when the Battle behind the Wall is going to happen), it's actually not that unlikely that the whole sacrifice thing will only be introduced in season 4. The Dragonstone characters won't disappear for nearly a complete season, which is what they would have to do if the sacrifice plot would culminate in season 3. It's final resolution is Davos reading from the letter of the Night's Watch, after all.

Depending on how things seem to unfold in the show, Maester Aemon and the people at Castle Black will only learn about the attack of the Others when Jon and/or Samwell return to the Wall. And that is only going to happen at the end of season 3 (the way season 2 ended strongly indicates that Sam won't send any ravens to Castle Black!). Which could indicate that the letter about the Others/wildlings may reach Dragonstone only in season 4.

That way, Edric Storm could be introduced in season 4, just as Shireen and Selyse will be introduced in season 3. They don't need to show him all the time, especially if Stannis cannot stand him. And he could have lived all the time on Dragonstone, so the fact that the whole Storm's End plot has been dropped in season 2 does not prove anything.

The problem there, is what is Stannis and co. doing for S3? There's really not enough material in Dragonstone for an entire season, before the sacrifice stuff comes in, it consists almost entirely of Davos in jail. Compressing all of the Dragonstone stuff into S3 would also leave a dramatic cliffhanger for season 4, and allow the plot space to breath by getting rid of Stannis for most of a season.

They could reintroduce us to Davos in episode 2. Then they could make his journey to rediscover his own faith much longer. Show Davos was never a pious man, whereas book Davos apparently held the Seven in a certain regard (show Davos was not really concerned when Mel burned the Seven). Upon rediscovering his faith, Davos decides to assassinate Melisandre. Perhaps this will be prepared by Stannis and Davos growing more and more apart. They could show us how Melisandre's influence over Stannis seems to grow, and how Davos begins to hate her since he makes her responsible for his son's death, and Stannis defeat on the Blackwater. They could even give the whole stuff Alester Florent did (trying to make peace with Tywin) to Davos, which could then be all the more reason why Davos would want to murder Melisandre...

Then 2-3 episodes with Davos in the dungeons, followed by his release, and his promotion to Hand. The season could conclude with the leeches ritual, and the foreshadowing of the sacrifice stuff (since king's blood would be used for this whole thing).

We should keep in mind that season 3 has a lot of introducing to do, a lot to wrap up, and a lot to prepare. I'd be surprised if we would get scenes on Dragonstone in every episode.

Most of the action is going to happen in KL, beyond the Wall, in Slaver's Bay, and the Riverlands (Arya, Jaime and Brienne, Robb and the Tullys).

As to the sacrifice thing in the book: There is no mention of the Others! Mel only wants Stannis to sacrifice Edric because she believes this will enable her to create/wake dragons from stone. And she wants to do this because the prophecies she believes in foretell that Azor Ahai reborn will wake dragons from stone. The stone dragon thing is not a means to an end for Melisandre, it's the end. Stannis, on the other hand, is conflicted whether to give the sacrifice thing a try, to gain dragons, which he could use to continue his war, and to save his family from Tywin. At least that's how I understand it. The whole Others and wildlings thing is only introduced when Davos reads the letter. Melisandre never told Stannis to leave Dragonstone and sail to the Wall. She never even told him that fighting the Others was his destiny.

They could reintroduce us to Davos in episode 2. Then they could make his journey to rediscover his own faith much longer. Show Davos was never a pious man, whereas book Davos apparently held the Seven in a certain regard (show Davos was not really concerned when Mel burned the Seven). Upon rediscovering his faith, Davos decides to assassinate Melisandre. Perhaps this will be prepared by Stannis and Davos growing more and more apart. They could show us how Melisandre's influence over Stannis seems to grow, and how Davos begins to hate her since he makes her responsible for his son's death, and Stannis defeat on the Blackwater. They could even give the whole stuff Alester Florent did (trying to make peace with Tywin) to Davos, which could then be all the more reason why Davos would want to murder Melisandre...

Then 2-3 episodes with Davos in the dungeons, followed by his release, and his promotion to Hand. The season could conclude with the leeches ritual, and the foreshadowing of the sacrifice stuff (since king's blood would be used for this whole thing).

I'm sorry but that doesn't really sound very engaging to me personally. Even worse, Davos "finding his faith" doesn't lead anywhere and can be covered in a few short scenes: his scene out in Blackwater Bay, and then maybe another scene showing him praying, and from then on show him referencing the Gods a bit more. Any more than that would be seriously stretching things out. Even with the other stuff you mentioned that doesn't sound engaging to me. Melisandre gaining more influence over Stannis is practically a given, and the proposed pact with Tywin is, again, just filler.

We should keep in mind that season 3 has a lot of introducing to do, a lot to wrap up, and a lot to prepare. I'd be surprised if we would get scenes on Dragonstone in every episode.

Most of the action is going to happen in KL, beyond the Wall, in Slaver's Bay, and the Riverlands (Arya, Jaime and Brienne, Robb and the Tullys).

And that's why what we do see of Dragonstone should be meaningful, rather than filler material with Davos "finding his faith." I think Dragonstone will appear in 8 episodes, but usually with only one scene.

As to the sacrifice thing in the book: There is no mention of the Others! Mel only wants Stannis to sacrifice Edric because she believes this will enable her to create/wake dragons from stone. And she wants to do this because the prophecies she believes in foretell that Azor Ahai reborn will wake dragons from stone. The stone dragon thing is not a means to an end for Melisandre, it's the end. Stannis, on the other hand, is conflicted whether to give the sacrifice thing a try, to gain dragons, which he could use to continue his war, and to save his family from Tywin. At least that's how I understand it. The whole Others and wildlings thing is only introduced when Davos reads the letter. Melisandre never told Stannis to leave Dragonstone and sail to the Wall. She never even told him that fighting the Others was his destiny.

You're right, there is no mention of the Others, forgive my memory lapse. But there is mention of The Great Other, i.e Melisandre's idea of Satan. The waking dragons from stone situation is, in fact the means to an end rather than an end in and of itself: AA is supposed to save the world from the Great Other, and to do that he apparently needs dragons. And again, this explanation is from the books, so if it also carries over to the show we can hardly complain about it changing things from the books now can we.

Also, I don't think S3 really expands in scope from S2 as much as S2 did from S1. The story gets bigger, but not by that much. Most of the new characters are additions to plotlines that already exist. I think it's S4 were things will start to get more cluttered with the Ironborn and possibly the Dornish being introduced. Therefore it makes most to leave certain plotlines like Stannis' on hold for most of S4 to allow things to breath.

My outline for the Dragonstone plotline:

• E1: Davos on his rock, rescued by Salladhor Saan.
  • E2: Introduction to Selyse and Shireen, Melisandre introduces the sacrifice idea.
  • E3: Davos arrives at Dragonstone, attempts to kill Mel and is arrested by Selyse.
  • E4: Doesn't appear
  • E5: Melisandre visits Davos in his cell.
  • E6: Shireen visits Davos, gives him a book convincing him to read (this was reportedly a scene that was filmed.). Another scene with Stannis, Selyse and Mel, establishing that Selyse has been won over to the sacrifice idea.
  • E7: Davos' release, and 3 leeches.
  • E8: Davos learning to read, (helped by Salla as IIRC Pylos hasn't been cast.) finds NW letter.
  • E9: Doesn't appear.
  • E10: After the news of the RW, Davos fears Stannis may be convinced to sacrifice Shireen. Has Salladhor Saan help him take Shireen hostage for her own safety. Confrontation with Stannis and reading of the letter.

Your outline would mean that there won't be anything left to happen in season 4, or am I mistaken? Stannis and his personnel would have to disappear for an entire season if they don't intend to fill the void with boring conversation scenes on sea. It seems to be the case that the Battle against the Wildlings is going to happen at the end of season 4, and Stannis saving the ass of the Night's Watch should come as a surprise. An even bigger surprise than Tywin and Loras showing up at the Blackwater.

If we have to break the plots down to character development stuff, they could actually give us Davos turning from Stannis's best friend to outcast and then (seemingly) back on track in season 3. This could work. Sure, there won't be any highlights in the Dragonstone plot this way, but I'm not sure that this whole sacrifice thing would turn out to be all that interesting. But I admit that this remains a possibility. And it could very well happen this way.

I can imagine only 5-6 episode including Dragonstone at all in season 3. They have to remind the audience that Stannis is still there, but he don't has to do all that much. The main focus of the show should be on Mance Rayder, Jon and Ygritte, Arya and the Brotherhood, King's Landing, Slaver's Bay, and most of all, on Robb, on his queen, his bannermen, the problems he faces, and the newly introduced Tullys.

I really don't think the location hopping worked all that well last season. Give us one scene with any main character every episode really makes it appear as if nothing is happening. This is worst done in 'The North remembers' and in 'Valar Morghulis' (especially there, were both the Arya scene and the Jaime/Brienne scene take the story nowhere).

If they make the Dragonstone plot mainly about Davos, I think season 3 could work.

On the Great Other thing: Fighting the Great Other is Melisandre's main motivation. But we don't know what that means. ADwD indicated that Mel came to interpret both the Others and Bloodraven/Bran as agents of the Great Other - which is/may very well be wrong, since there might not be a Great Other. At the same time, the High Priest of Volantis sees Dany as Azor Ahai reborn, and also includes her in this capacity in his interpretation of ancient prophecies. He neither mentions the Others (in fact, he seems to manipulate his followers into fighting for Dany with promises of eternal life/rebirth!). Which leads me to believe that Melisandre merely integrates real events into her faith the way it works best for her. In that way, waking the stone dragons is the end for Mel in ASoS, since there has been no hint whatsoever that Melisandre intended to do anything 'non-mundane' with those dragons (i.e. he would have tried to conquer the Iron Throne, not tried to fight the Others - interpreted as agents of the Great Other - since neither he nor Mel did know anything about them).

But the main problem in the show will be to make it plausible for the audience why Stannis would want the Iron Throne so badly that he would actually consider sacrificing his own child (i.e. his future, the continuation of his line!) for it? That does not fit with show Stannis. He actually wants a son to continue his line, he does not want the house to end with him. He shows remorse over Renly's death (first in episode 5 of season 2, and then again in the last episode).

Your outline would mean that there won't be anything left to happen in season 4, or am I mistaken? Stannis and his personnel would have to disappear for an entire season if they don't intend to fill the void with boring conversation scenes on sea. It seems to be the case that the Battle against the Wildlings is going to happen at the end of season 4, and Stannis saving the ass of the Night's Watch should come as a surprise. An even bigger surprise than Tywin and Loras showing up at the Blackwater.

That is correct, and that is the whole point. This would create a mystery throughout S4 of where Stannis has gone, so hopefully (providing things are done subtly.), his arrival at the Wall will come as a huge shock. Furthermore this also allows more space for other plotlines in S4, rather than just creating 2 seasons of Dragonstone material padded out with filler.

If we have to break the plots down to character development stuff, they could actually give us Davos turning from Stannis's best friend to outcast and then (seemingly) back on track in season 3. This could work. Sure, there won't be any highlights in the Dragonstone plot this way, but I'm not sure that this whole sacrifice thing would turn out to be all that interesting. But I admit that this remains a possibility. And it could very well happen this way.

The thing is, I don't see the audience accepting an entire plotline, taking up multiple scenes, where nothing really interesting at all happens. It's all very well and good to say "Dragonstone in S3 will revolve around Davos separating from Stannis.", but how is that going to be conveyed? There needs to be scenes with actual content conveying this and these scenes need to effect the plot, not just the characterisation.

I can imagine only 5-6 episode including Dragonstone at all in season 3. They have to remind the audience that Stannis is still there, but he don't has to do all that much. The main focus of the show should be on Mance Rayder, Jon and Ygritte, Arya and the Brotherhood, King's Landing, Slaver's Bay, and most of all, on Robb, on his queen, his bannermen, the problems he faces, and the newly introduced Tullys.

I really don't think the location hopping worked all that well last season. Give us one scene with any main character every episode really makes it appear as if nothing is happening. This is worst done in 'The North remembers' and in 'Valar Morghulis' (especially there, were both the Arya scene and the Jaime/Brienne scene take the story nowhere).

If they make the Dragonstone plot mainly about Davos, I think season 3 could work.

The location hopping doesn't always work, but generally I don't think it's too bad, and at this point, with the scope to which the story has grown, I see little other option. 7 or 8 episodes for Dragonstone is fine.

On the Great Other thing: Fighting the Great Other is Melisandre's main motivation. But we don't know what that means. ADwD indicated that Mel came to interpret both the Others and Bloodraven/Bran as agents of the Great Other - which is/may very well be wrong, since there might not be a Great Other. At the same time, the High Priest of Volantis sees Dany as Azor Ahai reborn, and also includes her in this capacity in his interpretation of ancient prophecies. He neither mentions the Others (in fact, he seems to manipulate his followers into fighting for Dany with promises of eternal life/rebirth!). Which leads me to believe that Melisandre merely integrates real events into her faith the way it works best for her. In that way, waking the stone dragons is the end for Mel in ASoS, since there has been no hint whatsoever that Melisandre intended to do anything 'non-mundane' with those dragons (i.e. he would have tried to conquer the Iron Throne, not tried to fight the Others - interpreted as agents of the Great Other - since neither he nor Mel did know anything about them).

But the main problem in the show will be to make it plausible for the audience why Stannis would want the Iron Throne so badly that he would actually consider sacrificing his own child (i.e. his future, the continuation of his line!) for it? That does not fit with show Stannis. He actually wants a son to continue his line, he does not want the house to end with him. He shows remorse over Renly's death (first in episode 5 of season 2, and then again in the last episode).

I think we've interpreted Melisandre's goals differently. As I understood it, Mel only saw Stannis conquest of Westeros as a stepping stone to rescuing it from the Great Other, so he would have the power and freedom to do what he needed. The Stone Dragons would be used to take the IT, but later to fight the Great Other. The fact that Melisandre doesn't know exactly how his agents will manifest is irrelevant. It also seems that even if he doubts the existence of Rh'llor, Stannis still believes that he is AA and therefore he is thinking not just of the IT, but the Great War. And for the third time, this is exactly how her explanation panned out in the books, and for me atleast it made sense.

Archived