Prime Barristan Selmy vs Jamie Lannister(with hand)

WardenOfTheNorth

I'm surprised at the number of people saying Jaime actually, yes he was a great natural swordsman, but I think he very much lacked the discipline and mental skills that Barristan has, it's tragic in a way, because Jaime could have became this with age but losing his handd when he did has stopped short the great swordsman he could have been. Young and naturally talented? Oh, yes.

Enough to beat Barristan Selmy? No, not really.

I'm surprised at the number of people saying Jaime actually, yes he was a great natural swordsman, but I think he very much lacked the discipline and mental skills that Barristan has, it's tragic in a way, because Jaime could have became this with age but losing his handd when he did has stopped short the great swordsman he could have been. Young and naturally talented? Oh, yes.

Enough to beat Barristan Selmy? No, not really.

Well, Jaime isn't just young and talented. He is a natural prodigy. If you go by the info we get from the Whispering Woods chapter, I seriously doubt many would beat him in that place, at that moment. Granted, Barristan has more experience, but in their primes they would probably be around the same age. 30-35. So Barristan doesn't have all the experience he has when he is older. And if Barristan is older then Jaime would beat him easily. But in their prime, it would be an even match, but calm and calculating doesn't always beat fiery and aggresive in fights, or sports, or wherever you can apply it.

So, Barristan would have the edge of analysing while Jaime maybe has the edge as a swordsman. But I seriously doubt Barry is much better in the mental department when it comes to fighting, since when people are as good as tehy are, they usually have things that other people don't. Vision and timing and so on. Both would probably know when it is best to attack and best to not attack. And then much would come down to mood, terrain and other things.

edit: my vote would go to Jaime.

What book and chapter? :drool: :D I can't remember that.

Nope. He doesn't say this. He says a kid he's training is the best natural swordsman he's seen since Jaime. Not that Jaime is the best he's ever seen. Sorry to kinda ruin that for ya. Also, ya; Jaime is a natural - I really never got the impression he was some shining beacon of wonder and the best swordsman that there ever was or ever will be.

Soz. Still saying Barristan would win this one.

Again, no. He says the kid is the best natural swordsman he's seen since Jaime. This is not the same as saying ''Jaime is the best natural swordsman I have ever seen''. It's not the same at all.

Of course you can put your vote on Barristan. I still have mine on Jaime. That is what opinions are for :D. I haven't read ADWD yet, so that may have been why I didn't recall. Looking forward to that.

But what Barristan does say do say quite a lot. Barristan has been in some of the greatest battles of all time, he has been a warrior since a young age and has a long career behind him. For him to say that Jaime is the next best 'natural' swordsman he has seen is a huge deal. I don't know if he meant swordsmen he trained, but if he meant by what he has seen, then that counts for a lot. Although 'natural' doesn't always mean you'll be the best or is the best, but with Jaimes training he probably reached pretty high. And that he sees this kid being the most 'natural' swordsman he's ever seen doesn't undermine any other swordsman. There a loads of talent out there that never get discovered and it isn't weird to thin that there are peasants who might have become better than the Kingsguard. The training is very, very important.

But after that statement from Barry, I would tilt even more to the Jaime side if they would be in a fight in their primes.

Archived