Prime Barristan Selmy vs Jamie Lannister(with hand)

WardenOfTheNorth

I don't know. Could you give us a few circumstances?

For example, I don't think Rob would beat Jaime, but he did due to tactics rather than actual 'fighting'. (Actually they didn't fight at all.)

If it's just straight up fight, I'd go for Jaime. If it's Jaime caught naughty, and Lannister vs Kingsguard (Robert as King), I can see Barristan outsmarting Jaime.

I don't know. Could you give us a few circumstances?

For example, I don't think Rob would beat Jaime, but he did due to tactics rather than actual 'fighting'. (Actually they didn't fight at all.)

If it's just straight up fight, I'd go for Jaime. If it's Jaime caught naughty, and Lannister vs Kingsguard (Robert as King), I can see Barristan outsmarting Jaime.

Just a straight up one on one fight. I do think Barristans honor could be a problem for him in a fight with another knight, and since Jamie doesnt really have an honor code, that could be to his advantage. Remember Ser Vardis vs Bronn in the Vale?

Just a straight up one on one fight. I do think Barristans honor could be a problem for him in a fight with another knight, and since Jamie doesnt really have an honor code, that could be to his advantage. Remember Ser Vardis vs Bronn in the Vale?

Yeah, I hate to say it but I'd bet Jaime cause he's was an ass hole. (At least we can agree he was then, right?)

Jamie fighting Selmy to save Brienne= Jamie wins.

The rest I don't know. Jamie is cocky yes, but Selmy has quite a few more years on him. Strength wise they could be the same, but Jamie would have more stamina I think. On the other hand, Selmy has waaaaay more experience. This also leads me to think that if Jamie is so good even with less experience, he was born to use a sword. Let's hope his left hand agrees with me.

Barristan Selmy for the win.

Barristan states that Jaime is the best natural swordsman that he has ever seen.

Not that Barristan is anything to sneeze on.

I put my gold and my ironprice on Jaime Lannister.

I think it'd be close, but that Barristan would come out on top around sixty times out of a hundred. Jamie is super skilled, don't get me wrong, probably more or as naturally gifted than/as Barristan. But Barristan has more heart and poise than, i'd posit, any other fighter we see. He entered a tourney when he was ten, he cut through the Golden Company like they were a bunch of unco-ordinated farmers in order to end the Blackfyre Line, He rescued his King from an enemy castle, He killed one of the baddest men in Essos with a staff as an old man, and he was secure enough in strategy and skill to contemplate how to give a great pit fighter an honorable deaths.

Now, that was a bit of a Barristan love tangent with little to do with the comparative, but, I think given their primes, which for Jamie was probably a few year before the series and for Barristan was probably around the Defiance, Barristan is far more expirience in not only general battle, but also what it means to duel a skilled foe. And that experience, plus his heart and poise, makes the difference.

Barristan states that Jaime is the best natural swordsman that he has ever seen.

Not that Barristan is anything to sneeze on.

I put my gold and my ironprice on Jaime Lannister.

Being "the best natural swordsman" doesn't mean that he thinks Jamie would beat everyone. It means he has a knack for it and a natural skillset. It has nothing to do with experience, mental fortitude, and training. It means Jamie would probably be competitive with almost everyone but ability is only about 50% of what it takes to be elite in 1-1 combat.

I go Selmy. IMO Jamie never reached his potential. He never really hit his prime, which is a combination of physical and mental primes, including experience.

If I had to set a line, probably Selmy -110, Jamie +130, then I'd clean up on everyone going Jamie.

Why dont you think he reached his prime? Do you think its because his lost his hand, while still relatively young?

Archived