Robb in Season 3 trailer #2

The Snowman

Game of Thrones Season 3 trailer #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4XSeW4B5Rg

In the mentioned trailer for season 3 Robb is talking to Catelyn with a map on the table in front of him and he says something along the lines of "If we can take his gold, we take his power!"

I am assuming he is talking about Tywin Lannister and to take his gold and power, would that mean Robb is going to attack Casterly Rock?

It would certainly make Robb seem totally unbeatable and a total BAMF if he managed that and make the RW perhaps more shocking.

So tell me what you think?

It simply lays the groundwork for the invasion of the Westerlands, and the siezing of various gold mines by the Umbers and co as per the books. In the books there is even a offhand remark about "nothing will get Tywin Lannister running like a threat to his gold", or something along those lines. It sets up the need for Tywin to try and get back to the West and fall into Robb's trap, only for Edmure to spoil it by repelling Tywin's crossing of the river against Robb's orders.

Would be cool if he took Casterly Rock though......

It wouldn'y have to change the RW at all. It would just make Robb look unstoppable and thus the RW even shitter of an event.

If they just totally mess up up everything north and east of Casterly Rock I wouldn't mind.

I just thought it'd be an interesting way for the show to go. Robb lost his seat to the Greyjoys so Robb takes the Lannister seat of power. It'd expand Jaime's Riverlands adventure a bit with him negotiating the surrender of Riverrun and the Rock.

I don't think they're going to have Robb attack Casterly Rock, though they may of course have him planning to, which would do a good job of increasing dramatic tension. Personally I think that this would be a decent direction to go as far as TV is concerned, considering the event later in the season.

It would make Roose's and Freys' betrayal less practical though. Robb with Lannister seat would be more dangerous to betray.

And Martin would have to write this ep, I don't want random version of CR.

He isn't writing this episode. David and Dan are.

I think it's all talk, we won't see him actually go there. Robb and Catelyn are at Riverrun for pretty much the entire season before they head to the Twins based on when Karstark's beheading takes place (as we know that' at Riverrun).

This could possibly even substitute for the talk regarding him taking back the North before he goes to the Twins. It could be that instead his stated goal is to take down Casterly Rock. He doesn't get to do either obviously.

Like a few people have pointed out, Robb sends forces to attack the gold mines under control of Tywin Lannister. His hope is that it will force him into the field from KL. He cannot attack him in KL and he cannot wait for the combined forces(Tyrell+Lannister) to attack him.

I don't think they're going to have Robb attack Casterly Rock, though they may of course have him planning to, which would do a good job of increasing dramatic tension. Personally I think that this would be a decent direction to go as far as TV is concerned, considering the event later in the season.

I like this. Have him plan it out but then decide he has to go north instead...or something like that

I like this. Have him plan it out but then decide he has to go north instead...or something like that

I think he will first take Harrenhal and leave it to Roose Bolton, then he will make his plans about attacking Casterly Rock, but first he will stop at Riverrun to gather the Tully men too and start a major offensive. When he arrives at Riverrun, he will discover that his grandfather has died and will attend the funeral. Right after the funeral, the Freys arrive and deal with Robb, taking their men back to the Twins and weakening Robb's army, so he has to put his his offensive on hold while he heads north to Edmure's wedding. After that, we all know what happens. I think that would make a great story arc for Catelyn and Robb.

He isn't writing this episode. David and Dan are.

Exactly. They'd have to invent entire castle, people, atmosphere instead of Martin. I guess they could go by his notes, but that's not the same in my opinion, and more importantly, why introduce another expensive locale/CGI castle when you really, really don't have to?

Exactly. They'd have to invent entire castle, people, atmosphere instead of Martin. I guess they could go by his notes, but that's not the same in my opinion, and more importantly, why introduce another expensive locale/CGI castle when you really, really don't have to?

CR will probably not be in the episode or in the season. They only make plans to attack it, than Cat stated they need her family. They go there, they hear about the dead of Bran and Rickon, and Robb wants to go back to winterfell.

Archived