Maester Marwyn's role in WoW

I am not so sure Sam will go to Oldtown at all and season 6 seems really late. Too many plots, Jon having no companions save him left and I think that depends on a number of things.

1- Is Euron being included.

2- Will Dany/Tyrion land at Oldtown, which IMO is how the Oldtown arc resolves itself. Sam is there to provide a POV in the build up to this confrontation.

3- Will the Hightowers have a big role or will another house do.

4- Is the Maesters plot filler or can it be fulfilled by already established warlocks.

No, it's not late.

Sam needs to be at the wall for the first 2 or 3 episodes of season 5, 1 he and Jon deal with Stannis's arrival at the Wall and setting up the LC election, 2, Jon is elected, 3 Sam is sent away.

So he is likely to arrive in Braavos in episode 5, Daeron gets killed in 6 or 7, Sam breaks vows either in Braavos or on the boat, and Sam will not be in episodes 9 or 10 because he is not finale material, unless he breaks his vows with Gilly in 10. At the very most Sam's boat will dock in Oldtown in 10 but he won't meet Marwyn until season 6.

Meanwhile there is no way Marwyn gets to Meereen before Dany leaves anyway, so the timing there will be right for Dany's storyline with a season 6 intro.

I posted this on the general forum more or less. So certainly some trolling going on here. I think that Marwyn is the perfumed seneshal, based on the following.

Quaithe's quote has been discussed a lot:

The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and themummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal.[4]

For the most part we can all agree on most of them, but there has been debate over the perfumed seneshal.

For my money it's Marwyn.

We know Sam met him in the Seneschal's Court.

We know he travels on the Cinnamon Wind. (the CW is pretty important to this crackpot, The Cinnamon Wind is of course the ship that takes Dany from Quarth and the ship Marwyn sails on to find Dany from Oldtown.)

It's not great, but to me it's enough to generally fulfill the name. Also he smells of sourleaf, which isn't perfume but it is a scent.

What we can speculate on is that Marwyn has been taking actions to get close to Dany. Mirri Maz Duur was trained by Marwyn and I believe was placed in a situation to encounter Dany. I think Marwyn placed her or communicated to her through the glass candles in an attempt to steal an egg. MMD was supposed to get Dany on the Cinnamon Wind or escape on the CW. The Cinnamon Wind was there bc of MMD/Marwyn.

Dany did eventually sail on the ship and MMD was dead. Some chalk this up to coincidence, but the presence of CW in the proximity of MMD, coupled with Marwyn traveling immediately on a Cinnamon Wind that was ready to set sail from Oldtown makes it seem purposeful to me. He also tells Sam not to discuss Dany w anyone back at the Wall.

I believe he was behind the sorcerers stealing the Dragons at Quarth as in yet another attempt to get his hands on the dragons. The connection is not too strong, but Marwyn loves magic and resents the end of magic that was caused by the other Maesters. Additionally, he should be able to communicate with the warlocks through his glass candles.

We know Marwyn is a major player who even has his hands in KL with Qyburn. I think he is obsessed with Magic and Valyria. He burns glass candles and practices in or at least his disciples practice in necromancy. He had a ship from the Summer Isles at his beckon call. And I would guess a maester such as this with his talent most likely learned shadowbinding is Assahi and every other possible manifestation of magic. Also his disciple MMD is Lhazareen. This guy is everywhere. I think the glass candles are his way to see everything and set up everything he is doing. I even think there is a chance that he is the one who guided Euron to the dragonhorn in yet another attempt to claim the dragons.

Also from the quote, it says remember the undying, beware the perfumed seneschal. I think that Marwyn played a part in the HotU and it makes sense to set up the warning of the perfumed seneschal. i.e. Remember what happened there, beware of the guy who did it.

As for the sentence with the other names, she said don't trust the other guys, but not to be afraid of them because I don't think they are powerful enough to throw Dany off track but Marwyn is.

He's on course to see Dany. I think it's him and he is a major major player in the upcoming events. And I think it's him.

The next option for me is Varys because of his perfume and his job in KL fits the def of a seneschal. It fits. My only issues are that by the time Dany meets him, I don't think he will be a seneschal, he's gonna be somewhere in possibly a different disguise but not he Master of Wispers in KL. I'm convinced like most people fAegon is the mummer's dragon, and the mummer is Varys, so he is mentioned. (which of course, cuts against my earlier point, bc Marwyn is mentioned by reference in the glass candles burning, remember the undying and beware of him). He's a strong candidate, but I think it's Marwyn.

We've heard so much about Marwyn and I do not believe that he has good intentions for Dany. We no he is involved in evil shit. In any story, necromancy is pretty evil and he obsessed with magic. I think he wants the dragons and I don't think Varys goals are the dragons, but rather to install his regime in KL.

Some people argue that because he's on the Cinnamon Wind he is scented.

That and he stinks of sourleaf, maybe he bathes in fragrance bc of that. Idk.

The reason I think he is mainly PS, is I think he is coming in a big way and I believe he has serious ties to Dany and may be her biggest threat.

I understand the scent part with the CW and sourleaf is somewhat weak, but he is someone to be afraid of in Quaithe's prophecy. For me, the CW/sourleaf coupled with him meeting Sam in the Seneschal's Court is enough to satisfy the name.

That and he stinks of sourleaf, maybe he bathes in fragrance bc of that. Idk.

The reason I think he is mainly PS, is I think he is coming in a big way and I believe he has serious ties to Dany and may be her biggest threat.

I understand the scent part with the CW and sourleaf is somewhat weak, but he is someone to be afraid of in Quaithe's prophecy. For me, the CW/sourleaf coupled with him meeting Sam in the Seneschal's Court is enough to satisfy the name.

I am not convinced he is a danger to her, frankly. I mean he might be - we don't know much about him. But Moqorro's vision made it clear Dany's biggest threat is Euron, who is with the warlocks now - who we already know are a threat.

Marwyn is spoken of with respect by Asha's uncle the Reader. He also taught Miri and Qyburn. The Reader seems like quite a decent guy. The other two are harder to pin down and Miri was certainly a threat to Dany. However Miri acted of her own initiative for her own reasons so the fact that she learned some things from Marwyn is irrelevant to what she did.

Marwyn left Oldtown saying he intended to help Dany. I think we should treat that with a bit of suspicion until we know more, but also accept it as probably true, particularly given the fact that he knows from Sam the danger that is descending from the North and that the dragons will be needed. He wants to help her, and the main thing he would be equipped to help her with is her fight against Euron and the warlocks.

Archived