Maester Marwyn's role in WoW

So in the epilogue of AFFC Marwyn, who seems like a badass, goes off from Oldtown to say he's going to help Danny against the wishes of the other archmaesters (who apparently caused the death of all the dragons and magic).

I want to think that he makes it, hopefully right after Victorian's arrival, and gets to council Dany, but I don't know how much of a role he can play?

Thoughts?

An Archmaester with unsurpassed skill and knowledge, I'm sure he has a huge role to play.

1. He will inform Dany of who actually killed the Targaryen dragons (poisoned by the archmaesters) and worn her of the man sent by the archmaesters to likely kill her and her dragons.

2. He will be the one to inform her of the situation in the North and where she really needs to be first (you must go North to go South)

3. He can probably shed light on how to tame the dragons should Victarian/Euron get control of them.

4. I can't think of a better person to serve as Dany's Grand Maester. She already has a Lord Commander of her QG (Barristan), a Hand (Tyrion), possible consort/Master of ships (Victarian), so Marwyn makes sense to continue the building of her government.

Yeah but its a case of how he will meet up, he is obviously far behind the iron born as he set off later than them, so either he meets them at mereen after everybody waiting a time for dany to get back, or he crosses paths with them as they journey away from mereen.

Coming to mereen he will just be one of too many people coming to see her and could be ignored like the dornish, but if they pick him up on the sea then after hearing he is a maester searching for her and the mentor of mirri maaz duur he is more likely to get more of danys attention

An Archmaester with unsurpassed skill and knowledge, I'm sure he has a huge role to play.

1. He will inform Dany of who actually killed the Targaryen dragons (poisoned by the archmaesters) and worn her of the man sent by the archmaesters to likely kill her and her dragons.

2. He will be the one to inform her of the situation in the North and where she really needs to be first (you must go North to go South)

3. He can probably shed light on how to tame the dragons should Victarian/Euron get control of them.

4. I can't think of a better person to serve as Dany's Grand Maester. She already has a Lord Commander of her QG (Barristan), a Hand (Tyrion), possible consort/Master of ships (Victarian), so Marwyn makes sense to continue the building of her government.

He'll probably have some dealings with Tyrion, trying to figure out what to do with the other two dragons still at Mereen before Dany returns.

He'll probably have some dealings with Tyrion, trying to figure out what to do with the other two dragons still at Mereen before Dany returns.

Good point. Depending upon what happens when the dragon horn is blown, either they will be trying to free the dragons from the control of Euron/Victarian or trying to keep the dragons from destroying the city and killing everyone.

As we know, in ASoIaF, nobody ever gets where he/she is going without some trials, tribulations or detours (if they get there at all). Most likely this means that Marwyn will end up with Tyrion or Victarion (possibly Euron) before he ends up with Dany. Alternatively, he could be the Prologue POV (maester in the South fits the pattern) and die right off the bat

I think there is a darker side to this Marwyn he was friends with Qyburn and he was the only one defended his methods but we know what quburn was doing openning up living people and practicing dark arts doesn't sound like a good cause to defend to me.I think Marwyn is obsessed with magic and now its back he doesn't wants it to end again.Maybe he will help Dany maybe not but he will have a huge influence o Danys journey.This maester sounds like a corrupt men he thought Mirri Maz Duur what she knows and he backed up Qyburn about his disgusting study and he learned from warlocks and shadowbinders which are not that mentally balanced type of people.And this warlocks tried killing Dany so I am nıt sure he is a good man I think he has an agenda of his own.

I agree...to a point. I'm not completely convinced Marwyn has wholely altruistic intentions. He may just turn out to be another person seeking control of the dragons, etc. However, it's been a long time since I actually read the books and I don't recall Marwyn endorsing Qyburn's methods that got him thrown out of the order of maesters. I vaguely remember him describing what Qyburn was doing but does anyone have a quote of Marwyn actually endorsing it (if he did)?

You have 2 switched, to go north you must go south...Dany does switch it once in her mind though

My concern about Marwyn is how much he knows/is involved with the possible hidden identities of Pate and Alleras (being Ja'quen and Sallera Sand respectively)

:agree:

Either Marwyn knows Pate isn't really Pate and that Alleras is really Sarella Sand and is keeping them around for some reason, or he isn't nearly as badass as he seems. If its the former, I hope he is the one who hired the Faceless Man to kill Pate and assume his identity. But if he has glass candles that allow him to see everywhere and communicate with anyone and he can't see that his acolytes are a Faceless Man and a girl I'll be disappointed.

I actually prefer him to educate Dany about the dragons and the prophecy, but I'm not really sure if his motives are good 'coz he's an archmaester of the Citadel. Since Quaite prophecy doesn't say not to trust a maester, I hope Marwyn is not there to kill the dragons or prevent Dany from getting her ass in Westeros.

I actually prefer him to educate Dany about the dragons and the prophecy, but I'm not really sure if his motives are good 'coz he's an archmaester of the Citadel. Since Quaite prophecy doesn't say not to trust a maester, I hope Marwyn is not there to kill the dragons or prevent Dany from getting her ass in Westeros.

Well, he claims to be going to Dany for the opposite purpose. He tells Sam that it was the archmaesters who initially poisoned the Targaryen Dragons and that they have sent a man to likely kill Dany and her Dragons. Add that to the fact that he knows about the "Others," i am counting him as a good guy (relatively speaking). I'm hoping he serves as Dany's Grand Maester.

Marwyn is a man to not be trusted. His past associates include the likes of MMD and Qyburn. One knew dark magic and the other is a necromancer. Need I say more?

He strikes me as a man who loves magic and takes it too far

Archived