Maester Marwyn's role in WoW

Marwyn said the maesters have sent/are sending someone to kill Dany and the dragons. Who? And how does he know? Or is he the one they are sending? He could be planning to go against his instructions in that case.

And if it's not Marwyn then who is it? Someone either already in Meereen or soon to be there, and most likely Westerosi.

The bleeding is Dany's moon blood (moon's blood?) returning, not the bloody flux or the pale mare. And no matter whether the berries made her sick or not, I don't think she's in serious danger of dying right now.

Good point. Depending upon what happens when the dragon horn is blown, either they will be trying to free the dragons from the control of Euron/Victarian or trying to keep the dragons from destroying the city and killing everyone.

This

I keep thinking Tryion will run into Marwyn before Dany does.

Yep

• 3 months later...

Marwyn said the maesters have sent/are sending someone to kill Dany and the dragons. Who? And how does he know? Or is he the one they are sending? He could be planning to go against his instructions in that case.

And if it's not Marwyn then who is it? Someone either already in Meereen or soon to be there, and most likely Westerosi.

The bleeding is Dany's moon blood (moon's blood?) returning, not the bloody flux or the pale mare. And no matter whether the berries made her sick or not, I don't think she's in serious danger of dying right now.

It's been established that Targaryens aren't flame retardent. However, are they really immune to disease, as Dany thinks? It probably is her period, but still...

I am not a master chemist so I'm not making that claim, but, wouldn't dragon fire destroy most , if not all poisons? Dragonfire seems to be magic as well as hot, I say that on the fact that Drogons fire seemed to burn even ghosts in the house of the undying.

The maesters could know of a poison that is the product of combustion. It seems like chemistry is not well understood yet in Westeros, but I'm sure the maesters know of some things that give off toxic materials/fumes, but only after they've been burned.

Do you think its possible that the perfumed senchal is Marwyn. Because he hears about Dany from Sam in Senchal's Court in Oldtown and he boards the ship Cinnamon Wind to go meet her. In the prophesy it says that these things are coming to her. Marwyn would definitely be person not to trust considering that 2 people that have learned under him have gone on to do bad things(Qyburn and Mirri Maz Duur).Also the Cinnamon Wind is the ship that Maester Aemon realizes that Dany is the prince that was promised and the translations were wrong. Its the captian of this ship that tells Dany that Roberts died and he's the one that told Aemon and Sam that he has seen Dany dragons. Also Maester Aemon mentions the glass candle on this ship before he dies, which was part of the prophesy...and also the "Stinky Steward" (the ship) sank, and was bringing two people (Moqorro and Tyrion) who want to help her, not hurt her. Reznak mo Reznak is too obvious, Varys isn't really a seneschal... not sure who else it could be.

Out of all the potential candidates (Reznak, Varys, Archmaester Theobald, Garth Tyrell etc.) I think that most likely Marwyn fits the prophecy for the "perfumed senechal" although it could also refer to a later meeting between Dany and Varys (and if one believes in the "Varys is a Blackfyre pretender" theory), he would the obviously present a danger to Dany.

It'll be interesting if Marwyn gets into his "Book of Lost Books" and the pages he complied as discused by Rodrik and Asha "Signs and Potents"....written by a maiden Targaryen daugther....

Knowing that we can surmize what Marwyn's ulterior motives are....

I could have sworn MMD mentioned him. As well as Qyburn.

Not in the show, here's the part where she should have mentioned him:

Who are you?

I am named Mirri Maz Duur. I was the Godswife of this Temple. My mother was Godswife here before me. She taught me how to make healing smokes and ointments. All men are of one flock, so my people believe. The Great Shepherd sent me to Earth to heal his ... lamb or lion, his wound must be washed and sewn or it will fester.

Do we have any reason to think Dany's moon bloods weren't already occuring regularly? Wouldn't she recognize a period if she were having one?

Not to get off topic, but what if the maesters of the citadel were the ones who poisoned the locusts?

Would that be considered first "cut" by Strong Belwas...if so 7 help all those who inhabit the Citadel and anyone who wears multi linked chain of metals if Dany and entourage make it to Westeros...

• 2 weeks later...

One thing about Marwyn and MMD is GRRM made a point of writing Jorah being particularly interested in that detail. If Jorah and Tyrion join Dany's group it is set up for conflict between Jorah and Marwyn.

I like the idea that Marwyn could bring them up to date on what's happening at the Wall - you'd think there has to be some way in the story of getting a dragon to that part of Westeros - but really Marwyn has been told what is going on but can use that information to his own ends.

Out of all the potential candidates (Reznak, Varys, Archmaester Theobald, Garth Tyrell etc.) I think that most likely Marwyn fits the prophecy for the "perfumed senechal" although it could also refer to a later meeting between Dany and Varys (and if one believes in the "Varys is a Blackfyre pretender" theory), he would the obviously present a danger to Dany.

I always thought the Perfumed Seneschal was Varys or Ilyrio.

Speaking of Marwyn, when we first met him at the end of Feast, I was struck by his description. I felt it was a shout-out to a great mage from another series: Sparrowhawk in Ursula Leguin's Earthsea books. There are similarities and opposites.

• Both guys are blue-collar "arch" guys connected to the sea: Sparrowhawk was a fisherman, Marwyn is described as looking like a dockworker.
  • Sparrowhawk was a wizard; Marwyn is a "scientist," sort of, who is studying magic as a phenomena.
  • I think Sparrowhawk was skinny where Marwyn is broad with a "bull neck."

I just felt this has an homage or something; a deliberate invocation of another fantasy character, a beloved one, but with enough explicit differences that we know we're not supposed to take this literally. Marwyn also has some markers of the plain-spoken wise elder of science fiction, esp many characters in Heinlein. He gives Sam some blunt, sound advice in colorful language. And remember he vioces some respect for (and outrage on behalf of Aemon). I think he's a good guy, and sympathetic to Dany.

No idea how it's going to play out. But I feel like we're going to get some POV chapters from him in the next book.

Archived