Maester Marwyn's role in WoW

Marwyn is a man to not be trusted. His past associates include the likes of MMD and Qyburn. One knew dark magic and the other is a necromancer. Need I say more?

He strikes me as a man who loves magic and takes it too far

A love of the mystic arts is not a reason for mistrust. I also don't think that he should be judged by the actions of his pupils. Remember, MMD was being raped by Khal Drogo's men and watched her whole town destroyed. Its no wonder she wanted revenge.

A love of the mystic arts is not a reason for mistrust. I also don't think that he should be judged by the actions of his pupils. Remember, MMD was being raped by Khal Drogo's men and watched her whole town destroyed. Its no wonder she wanted revenge.

I understand, Im just saying thats one coincidence too many.

I think Marwyn's biggest point is going to be to tell us the Song of Ice and Fire. He's the gateway to the secret knowledge that Aemon kept just out of our grasp for 4 books. It'll also add legitmacy to her when she eventually comes to Westeros. He may also be able to use some of his medical knowledge to slow down the effects of the Pale Mare. But Marwyn will also provide more fodder for Dany's list of possible betrayers. Thus making it less likely for us to predict Barristan running off with Septa Lemore (ashara dayne).

Marwyn is a man to not be trusted. His past associates include the likes of MMD and Qyburn. One knew dark magic and the other is a necromancer. Need I say more?

He strikes me as a man who loves magic and takes it too far

I agree that his past associations call his motives into question when it comes to Dany and the dragons. It would also be ironic if he really was there to genuinely help Dany and she kills him outright because he was MMD's mentor.

He's a device to accelerate the plot. Dany has spent two books on Slaver's Bay; assuming GRRM doesn't add another book, she needs to get back to Westeros, attract aristocratic support and armies, and prosecute a significant war, in two books. She knows sweetFA about Westeros as far as we know, and her record in government isn't great either.

Marwyn therefore, with Tyrion and Victarion, has to draw her back to Westeros, and Victarion has the ships to take her and a limited force there. Marwyn and Victarion (and Moqorro) are also key to giving her control of her dragons, whether through the dragon horn (although how idealisitic Daenerys will use it I don't know), or (hopefully), a visit to Valyria.

Assuming, also, that there's a kernel of truth to Marwyn's claims of a Maester plot to kill the dragons and kill magic, Marwyn is also key to bringig Daenerys and dragons to Westeros to the fight the Others/CoTF/Bran/Bloodraven.

• 7 months later...

I personally believe that the Maesters "killed" the dragons by advising the Targs over a long period of time. First they switched from whatever religion they worshipped to the 7, then they built the dragon pit where they could not grow to full size, they probably "lost" or "mistranslated" or "miscopied" or burned ancient texts that told the Targs how their magic worked. The knowledge of how to hatch them was probably lost over time, along with how to control them.

I personally believe that the Maesters "killed" the dragons by advising the Targs over a long period of time. First they switched from whatever religion they worshipped to the 7, then they built the dragon pit where they could not grow to full size, they probably "lost" or "mistranslated" or "miscopied" or burned ancient texts that told the Targs how their magic worked. The knowledge of how to hatch them was probably lost over time, along with how to control them.

The Maesters poisoning the dragons over time makes perfect sense. I see no reason for Marwyn to lie or be wrong on the matter. The Dragon Pit was blamed for stunted growth, but I don’t see it.

He is there to reveal th truth about Dragon extinction an the role of the citadel in this.

As to his actions - I think of 2 main possibilities:

1 - He fulfills his intention - reaches Danny and helps her to come to westeros.

2 - Instead of Danny, he ends up with Tyrion and helps him to get hold of 1 of the dragons (The other two are controlled by Danny and by Euron)

The Maesters poisoning the dragons over time makes perfect sense. I see no reason for Marwyn to lie or be wrong on the matter. The Dragon Pit was blamed for stunted growth, but I don’t see it.

I am not a master chemist so I'm not making that claim, but, wouldn't dragon fire destroy most , if not all poisons? Dragonfire seems to be magic as well as hot, I say that on the fact that Drogons fire seemed to burn even ghosts in the house of the undying.

I am not a master chemist so I'm not making that claim, but, wouldn't dragon fire destroy most , if not all poisons? Dragonfire seems to be magic as well as hot, I say that on the fact that Drogons fire seemed to burn even ghosts in the house of the undying.

Now we are getting into dragon physiology, and I think no one other than GRRM can take us there. However, seeing that the trained dragons were kept in secure locations (Dragon Pit in King’s Landing, not sure about Dragonstone), it seems likely the dragons were brought food (cattle and such) and water.

Lets assume that the dragons did not feel the need to burn every meal and no one thought to check poisoned water. Overtime the dragons simply became weaker and smaller, dragon eggs were failing to hatch to loss of fertitily, and the “Grey Sheep” simply came up with logical BS to explain away the oddity of the situation. Add to this fact that each new generation of Targaryens were losing the art/knowledge of dragons, or simply turning their backs on their heritage altogether, and you can see how it all happened.

It seems likely that the “Dance of the Dragons” gave the Maesters the perfect set of circumstances to act. We know the Targaryens had 16 dragons!! Post-civil war, I would estimate only a few were left. Seizing upon Aegon III’s hate and fear of them, the maesters struck and no questions were really asked.

If not poison, I see no other way they did it.

Archived