Tower of Joy: something I've never quite understood (possible spoilers)

Turin Turambar

I think Rhaegar took Lyanna straight to ToJ, Brandon came first to KL shouting for Rhaegar to face him and he wasn't there, Aerys arrested him and summoned his father to answer for his son and then killed them along with most of their company, after this some of the KG found Rhaegar and told him all hell has broken loose but he probably didn't go back as having sex is more important to have another child, there is some more time gap as Robert also has to reach SE to raise his banners and so does Ned, and Robert fought alongside Jon Arryn to subdue gulltown before heading to storm lands, also when Hoster tully joined them they had to deal with some riverlords who were loyal to the targs, so there would be sufficient time gap, until rhaegar returned to KL to take his host and meet Robert at the trident and kept 3 of his best KG at ToJ to protect the prince that was promised.

It's a safe assumption that it was at least nine months before Ned shows up at the ToJ. She had to get knocked up and carry Jon to term.

When Ned and his six companions arrive at the Tower of Joy, looking for Lyanna, they find there the three best members of the Kingsguard (ser Arthur Dayne, ser Oswell Whent and ser Gerold Hightower)

I apologize if this has been addressed but I'm far too lazy to read through this entire thread. Are Whent and Hightower among the "three best" KG? I mean, the Sword of the Morning obviously but for my money; I'm taking Barristan the Bold over either if those clowns. This is hypothetical of course because Barristan was recovering from his Trident injuries during the TOJ incident.

I apologize if this has been addressed but I'm far too lazy to read through this entire thread. Are Whent and Hightower among the "three best" KG? I mean, the Sword of the Morning obviously but for my money; I'm taking Barristan the Bold over either if those clowns. This is hypothetical of course because Barristan was recovering from his Trident injuries during the TOJ incident.

Ser Gerold Hightower was the LC of the Kingsgaurd and therefor must have been a good swordsman. As for Whent I think he would have had to have been a good swordsman otherwise Rhaegar wouldn't have left him at the ToJ to protect Lyanna and Jon, even though he was killed.

I don't think Whent was amongst the best from the 7 KG, but at that time the KG were actually the best of the best, so he must have still been pretty good. Hightower was known for immense strength, and I think that it was mentioned somewhere that he is pretty good for his age, and maybe exceptional at his prime.

Barristan Selmy was seriously wounded on the Trident, he couldn't be at the ToJ.

I realize this and mentioned it in the last line of my post. My point was if you had to name the 3 best KG of the time; Barristan would come before Whent or Hightower. This opinion is based on my interpretation of their exploits in the series.

Yeah, I think Dayne and Selmy were the top two. Hightower was too old, Jaime - too young. Martell, Whent, and Darry are never mentioned at being exceptional. But you have to keep in mind that they were still a lot better than the current kingsguard, and did not have a Boros Blount amongst them, let alone a few Boroses.

I realize this and mentioned it in the last line of my post. My point was if you had to name the 3 best KG of the time; Barristan would come before Whent or Hightower. This opinion is based on my interpretation of their exploits in the series.

I'd agree with Barristan, and add that Lewyn Martell's exploits at the Trident would put him up there with Whent and Hightower. I hesitate to mention Jaimie Lannister, but he was the same age as the unstoppable Robert Baratheon at the time. If Jaimie is undeniably in the top 5 knights in all of Westeros in 300 AL, then it's a good bet he was amongst the elite during RR as well (aside from Barristan it seems that most fighters hit their prime in Westeros between ages 15-25).

Whent and Hightower were members of the Kingsguard at the pinnacle of the KG's martial prowess. Whether they were #2 and #3, or #6 and #7, the point is that they were still formidable warriors.

I'd dispute Jaimie being too young. He was the same age as Loras Tyrell during the Tourney of the Hand, and there's no denying Loras was one of the top 5 knights in Westeros at the time.

It is debatable indeed, but in comparison to those, and most importantly to the real war situation, I think that Jaime as well as Loras could be considered "too young". Very talented, yes, but still, that's (should be) the best 7 warriors ever.

You ( I think, sorry if I'm wrong), made a remark about a comment of mine that Jaime was too young and that's why he was left at KL. It was wrong indeed, Aerys used him as a hostage as you said. And yet, he was 15 at the HH tourney when he was knighted, which would make him 16 during the rebellion. This is young by all and any standarts. He was young by ASOIAF standarts too.

Archived