Top 7 military commanders in ASOIAF (including Robert's Rebellion)

Fetch me a block

Duke of Wellington, Eric von Manstein; they can all fuck right off as well ...

If only Manstein had ridden around the battlefields on a tank while waving a sword in the air and screaming nazi propaganda from a megaphone, then he would have been a real general instead of a poser.

I'm not saying she's not a commander,Just that it will be unfair to compare her to on field commanders like the ones on the OP list.

Why?

Especially since we don't get much in the way of on field perspectives in battles anyway.

None of the three times did she actually participate in the battle herself which all the others on the list do,which is what I meant by syaing its an unfair comparison.

is this a best fighter or best military commander thread though?

Especially since we don't get much in the way of on field perspectives in battles anyway.

This. If we were to go by actual in-battle depictions....I'd have to go with Victarion Greyjoy or something. He's the only one I can remember being actually described fighting in a battle in the books.

Why?

JUst because commanding an army from on the field of battle would be different than commanding one before the battle itself,she doesn't even witness a couple of the sieges she orders.

This. If we were to go by actual in-battle depictions....I'd have to go with Victarion Greyjoy or something. He's the only one I can remember being actually described fighting in a battle in the books.

Yeah, he seemed like he could sweep that Serry longship clean all by himself. Pretty badass scene.

JUst because commanding an army from on the field of battle would be different than commanding one before the battle itself,she doesn't even witness a couple of the sieges she orders.

I think she only orders a single real siege, and I'm pretty sure she witnesses it too. That being the one of Mereen.

Also from what I've read about large Medieval battles, and others from similar time periods, there doesn't seem to be all that much a general can do to change the original battle plan once the fighting is underway, anyway. Communication within the army is too slow and complicated.

Well I couldn't figure out who to put for 6. I knew I wanted Ned and randyle at the bottom though. Perhaps it should have been Euron then?

Well, you wouldn't hear me complain.

Edit: Ok, who am I kidding, of course I'd complain. He should be number 4 or something, at the least.

First off, you can't put Robb above Blackfish when his success was mostly due to the Blackfish brilliance.

You can't put Stannis above Ned when Ned remains undefeated. Whereas Stannis was smashed in King's landing, walking into an obvious trap. Besides that, no one likes Stannis. I guarantee you though that thousands of Northmen would happily die for the honorable Eddard Stark. The better commander is quite clear.

Hell, even Jon Snow (raised by Ned, the superior commander) is better commander than Stannis. I mean, Stannis even takes JON's advice on how to proceed when on the wall. Stannis would have never have though to recruit the clansmen.

I think she only orders a single real siege, and I'm pretty sure she witnesses it too. That being the one of Mereen.

Also from what I've read about large Medieval battles, and others from similar time periods, there doesn't seem to be all that much a general can do to change the original battle plan once the fighting is underway, anyway. Communication within the army is too slow.

Hmmmmm maybe but I still don't think she has proven herself enough to be a part of the elite commanders of the time.

Also from what I've read about large Medieval battles, and others from similar time periods, there doesn't seem to be all that much a general can do to change the original battle plan once the fighting is underway, anyway. Communication within the army is too slow.

Yes, this exactly. Most of the crucial decisions the general can make are made before and after anyway. Of course, they did still often play a role at one or two crucial moments on the field itself and Dany has to depend on Jorah and co for that.

You can't put Stannis above Ned when Ned remains undefeated. Whereas Stannis was smashed in King's landing.

This is just silly. I am undefeated in battle as well am I a great general?

How many battles in Westeros have you won? exactly.

Your post is just stilly.

You completely missed my point, oh well. Just because you lead one battle and win does not make you better then someone who has commanded numerous battles and lost one. Use some logic and think about what you are saying.

Yes, this exactly. Most of the crucial decisions the general can make are made before and after anyway. Of course, they did still often play a role at one or two crucial moments on the field itself and Dany has to depend on Jorah and co for that.

Yes. Now that she has started riding her dragon she will probably start taking more active roles in the fighting though.

Archived