Aegon is the Mummer's Dragon... but not the way you think

Azor Ahoy!

“There is a gift for the boy in one of the chests. Some candied ginger. He was always fond of it.”

Illyrio sounded oddly sad. “I thought I might continue on to Ghoyan Drohe with you. A farewell feast before you start downriver …”

"Good fortune," Illyrio called after them. "Tell the boy I am sorry that I will not be with him for his wedding. I will rejoin you in Westeros. That I swear, by my sweet Serra's hands."

^^^ this is what GRRM would call a 'blatant hint'.

This quote from Tyrion III in DwD sums it all up perfectly.fAegon is ILlyrio's son. Illyrio is sending his son candied ginger. Who do adults give candy to fondly? Their children, that's who. Not only that but Tyrion notes that Illyrio sounds sad while talking about fAegon. He is sad because all these people are about to go meet up with JonCon and fAegon and Illyrio does not get to go with them. He does not get to go see his son or go to his 'wedding'. So he is sad. He is sorry he will miss the boy's wedding, then he swears on Serra's hands that he will rejoin them in Westeros, Serra being fAegon's mother, so it is very appropriate that he would bring her up in that sentence. There are maybe 100 more hints like this in the Tyrion chapters of DwD. The only thing that makes rhyme or reason of Illyrio's and Varys' actions (given their history together) is that fAegon is his son and the mummer's dragon.

I also tend to subscribe to the point of view of the OP - that while he is "the mummer's dragon", that has a variety of meanings and the obvious assumption that it means he's fake is one of those red herrings that people keep falling for when they try to act on prophecy.

:agree:

I honestly think it doesn't matter either way, if he is real he has a legitimate claim but will probably die because I don't see GRRM giving the throne to someone who just conveniently turns up in the 5th book, so if he is real he has not got long to live IMO. If he is fake he will probably end up getting killed or being forced into exile anyways. I see Aegon as simple yet effective plot device to finally get Dany to Westeros.

A device which may take some time to succeed given where Dany is at present, and given that she needs to make sure that the slaves that she freed stay that way. Perhaps the "Battle of Fire" will take care of that, but if the Volantenes show up and besiege Meereen, then it may be a while before she goes West. Also, the ships that Victarion will have after the battle may not be enough to carry West all of those who want to go West with her.

Tyrion may also be rather surprised at the reaction his news about Aegon receives from Dany and Ser Barristan. Learning that Aegon is Varys' fair haired boy will evoke all the negatives that they both hold about Varys, e.g. that he voted in the small council for the plan to have her killed after revealing to the council that she was pregnant, that Varys was spying on her for Robert, etc.

There is also the question about whether Illyrio was sheltering Viserys and herself as a distraction to keep Robert et al from suspecting the very existence of Young Griff. If she suspects that, she may even more mistrustful if not outright hostile to the Varys - Illyrio scheme.

If aragorn (read aegon) 'coming out of nowhere' is clichéd , bad writing or whatever, him being a fake , whose only purpose is to bring dany to Westeros is worse. Unless GRRM shows that the kid really has what it takes, becomes King and rules successfully. But I doubt he'll do something that radical

Aegon is real. Dany will mistakenly interpret the message as Aegon is fake. It will lead to war between them instead of a more wise alliance. If Dany is victorious, she eventually finds out he was real and feeds Quaithe to her dragon because all she had to say was "Varys dragon" in the first place, but she gets fancy with the words. Dany already mentioned her dislike for the riddles in the story.

• 4 months later...

What's the evidence that he's a dragon?

[...] And I'm convinced that Ilyrio's motivation is personal: "Aegon" is his son. We know he was very much in love with his second wife (he still keeps her hands!), and we know she bore a certain resemblance to Dany, which would make it conceivable that she might have a son with the Targaryen look. Tyrion also remarked on how strangely fond of the boy Illyrio seemed. If you take the view that all of Illyrio's actions have been leading towards putting his own son on the Iron Throne, it all starts to make sense.

^That's a good thought.

Illyrio, could he be a blackfyre? I forget his backstory beyond being a Braavosi before meeting Varys.

• 6 months later...

i think it wont be clarified either way. but i do think that maybe quaith is spreading the madness in dany, making her not trust anyone and notch up her paranioa much like aerys. i dont think that varys was the cause of aerys' craziness.i believe varys' genuinley wants f/aegon on the throne because no former ruler has been taught as well as aegon....or maybe varys is just a dick

Ok.... there is SOOOOO much wrong with this "warning". Really I don't think we can call it a prophecy.

First, Q mentions Dark Flame in the first portion.. I don't know about you but I get BLACKFYRE from dark flame. IE Aegon. So it seems strange to mention Blackfyre and the Aegon again as a dragon.

The perfumed seneschal is literally the ship Tyrion was on. That was lost at sea. So not sure why she should beware it. Again it seems strange she would mention the Lion (Tryion) and then his ship (Tyrion & Mormony).

Some portions of the warning seem to be about events that are happening soon - Pale Horse (if that was the pale Horse but Dany may just be trying to make things fit) and sun's son and others sound like they might be a bit later on.  Or it could be that the when Q made her prophecy things were moving along in that direction but events unfolded afterward making some of it a bit irrelevant.

There is also an interesting bit later on when Tyrion is on the Perfumed Seneschal where he laments the problems with prophecy biting you in the ass when he realizes the ship will literally not make it.

Anyway, this suggestion is a bit out there but what if the "mummer's dragon" is something related to what Melisandre is doing and the dragon she is trying to conjure.

Archived