I just noticed something...

Donnelly

Welcome to the forums.

You don`t know this, but you have already thread dedicated to parallels between LOTR and ASOIAF

And if this was a joke,it was bad way to introduce yourself.

Welcome to the forums.

You don`t know this, but you have already thread dedicated to parallels between LOTR and ASOIAF

And if this was a joke,it was bad way to introduce yourself.

And if this is your way of welcoming people to the forum, it was a bad way to do it. C'mon now.

And if this is your way of welcoming people to the forum, it was a bad way to do it. C'mon now.

I welcomed him, and redirected to already existing thread. That was both kind and helpful. As for my last comment, it was appropriate, because no one wants to be known as troll because of first impression.

I welcomed him, and redirected to already existing thread. That was both kind and helpful. As for my last comment, it was appropriate, because no one wants to be known as troll because of first impression.

There will always be goofball/throwaway threads. I agree though if this was a joke it didn't exactly deserve a "ba-dum tsh!"

There will always be goofball/throwaway threads. I agree though if this was a joke it didn't exactly deserve a "ba-dum tsh!"

I didn`t mean to `ba-dum tsh!` him :), I just thought it wasn`t funny.

It was inappropriate, there's no link to the thread you mentioned nor any mention to what it might be called and there's nothing in his comment that points towards him being a troll but just a funny joke. You're causing newcomers to abandon the forums.

Btw, Welcome Donnelly.

I can totally see the link between Samwise and Samwell, however, I don't really see the Drogo = Frodo link.. the characters, beyond being similar in name, are very different.

I think all fantasy literature has many similarities. In this case, however, I think ASOIAF is the only fantasy with that gritty realism that prevents it from being just another "prince with magic sword kills dragon and saves princess" stories.

That being said, I love LOTR because its so pure.. it's a magical fairy land where elves don't fart and hobbits don't copulate. In the same vein, I love ASOIAF because exactly the opposite of that. "good" characters can do bad things, and "bad" characters can do quite good things. People you despise in the beginning redeem themselves and characters that you think are going to be the hero of the story suddenly start to become quite villainous. When I read ASOIAF, I can identify with the characters and the world. It's humanity. The good and the bad and all the in-between. When I read LoTR, it's a place I wish I could visit because it's so idealistic and beautiful and perfect. The bad guys are just really really bad, but you know they aren't going to win anyway so it's all good.

Welcome to the forum! :)

I can totally see the link between Samwise and Samwell, however, I don't really see the Drogo = Frodo link.. the characters, beyond being similar in name, are very different.

I think all fantasy literature has many similarities. In this case, however, I think ASOIAF is the only fantasy with that gritty realism that prevents it from being just another "prince with magic sword kills dragon and saves princess" stories.

That being said, I love LOTR because its so pure.. it's a magical fairy land where elves don't fart and hobbits don't copulate. In the same vein, I love ASOIAF because exactly the opposite of that. "good" characters can do bad things, and "bad" characters can do quite good things. People you despise in the beginning redeem themselves and characters that you think are going to be the hero of the story suddenly start to become quite villainous. When I read ASOIAF, I can identify with the characters and the world. It's humanity. The good and the bad and all the in-between. When I read LoTR, it's a place I wish I could visit because it's so idealistic and beautiful and perfect. The bad guys are just really really bad, but you know they aren't going to win anyway so it's all good.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Actually, Frodo Baggins' father really is named Drogo. but that's about it for comparison.

ASOIAF and TES? How so?

I can see the link between them with al the "dragons return" thing. But beyond that? Not really.

Please explain? =P

the returning dragons is the main thing, but there's also:

- Similarities in gods: Nordic Gods (Shor, Kyne etc) = Old Gods, Eight Nine Divines = Faith Of The Seven, Auriel = R'hllor)

- The High King of Skyrim/The King In The North has recently died, and there is a new rebel (Ulfric Stormcloak/Euron) trying to conquer the North and make it an independent kingdom

- The Current Emperor/King of the realm is just a puppet for the real rulers (Tommen is a puppet for the Lannisters, The Emperor of Tamriel is a puppet for The Thalmor)

- In ancient times, the realm used to be inhabited by a different race (Falmer & Dwemer/CotF, but then a group of men (The First Men/Ysgramor and the original companions) crossed the sea, and fought with the original race. Eventually, the original race was extinct...or so most people believe.

How's that? :)

the returning dragons is the main thing, but there's also:

- Similarities in gods: Nordic Gods (Shor, Kyne etc) = Old Gods, Eight Nine Divines = Faith Of The Seven, Auriel = R'hllor)

- The High King of Skyrim/The King In The North has recently died, and there is a new rebel (Ulfric Stormcloak/Euron) trying to conquer the North and make it an independent kingdom

- The Current Emperor/King of the realm is just a puppet for the real rulers (Tommen is a puppet for the Lannisters, The Emperor of Tamriel is a puppet for The Thalmor)

- In ancient times, the realm used to be inhabited by a different race (Falmer & Dwemer/CotF, but then a group of men (The First Men/Ysgramor and the original companions) crossed the sea, and fought with the original race. Eventually, the original race was extinct...or so most people believe.

How's that? :)

So that would mean Dovahkiin=AAR? :)

These are a few common elements, yes, but I think that ASOIAF can never be like any other fantasy, because of the realism. In TES we know the gods are real and even get to meet some of them, while in ASOIAF nothing is certain. This regards all other sorts of magic/super-natural as well. Magic plays a much bigger role in TES and any other fantasy series I can think of, while in ASOIAF it is important indeed, but much more subtle.

And the politics in TES are dust compared to ASOIAF, obviously... :)

Archived