are the female leads stronger characters than the males?

gash

cat letting jamie go was a sign of weakness.

I don't think so. She (tried to) make a prisoner exchange deal with Tyrion, who to her knowledge would exchange Sansa and Arya for Jaime. It's a deal that Robb wouldn't make, so her stepping out of "her place" (as just Robb's mother and advisor and into a position of authority) is a power move.

IMO paranoia is a very big trait of weakness not strength

Agreed... but I guess she's being classified into:

strong willed, determined, ... strong in the face of adversity

I would grant her confident as well, if I didn't think extreme paranoia was contrary to that.

Danny is arguably more in every regard of the OP determined definition of strength then every other male character could possibly be in the story.

Gets sold, deals with marital rape (IMO, let's not discuss whether or not Drogo did this please), takes over his Khalasar remnants, stands against slavery, and all the while dealing with the sexism of men.

Men of her time just couldn't have the same story, nor truly appreciate the depth of such a struggle.

cat letting jamie go was a sign of weakness.

Cat letting Jaime go was a sign she appreciated her children more than the war, imo.

If you really want to go there, many people say Danny holding out in Easos to help slaves, when she's proving inept, is a sign of weakness as well. Similarly, others interpret it as actually being a momentary shift in motives.

still paranoid though.

Cersei is being manipulated by littlefinger the whole time, same person who manipulated cat and ned.

Cersei is right in her paranoia, joffrey died, her other children will surely die, tyrion killed tywin etc etc Cersei lacks subtly or tact but she was right.

Screwing with the Small Council, burning down the Tower of the Hand, recreating the Faith Militant, freezing the crown's debts to the Iron Bank, sleeping with Kettleblack (and dealing with them in the first place, when they actually worked for LF the entire time) letting Qyburn do whatever he wants, sending incompetents to deal with a neutral Bronn, antagonizing the Tyrells...

She's not right in her paranoia. She is paranoid about all the wrong things.

what do you mean? stannis hasnt given up his dream in 5 books! that takes either extreme deteremation or just never wanting to quit (or both)

well he's kind of a huge outlier. Stannis is almost superhumanly strongwiled so its not really a fair contest.

Screwing with the Small Council, burning down the Tower of the Hand, recreating the Faith Militant, freezing the crown's debts to the Iron Bank, sleeping with Kettleblack (and dealing with them in the first place, when they actually worked for LF the entire time) letting Qyburn do whatever he wants, sending incompetents to deal with a neutral Bronn, antagonizing the Tyrells...

She's not right in her paranoia. She is paranoid about all the wrong things.

whats wrong with burning the tower?

but none of those affect her strength she's just making terrible decisions fuelled by being manipulated and undermined.

I don't think so. She (tried to) make a prisoner exchange deal with Tyrion, who to her knowledge would exchange Sansa and Arya for Jaime. It's a deal that Robb wouldn't make, so her stepping out of "her place" (as just Robb's mother and advisor and into a position of authority) is a power move.

it's debateable i suppose. she would have been stronger if she had stayed the line imo. she put her personal grief above the bigger picture - winning the war, which ultimately was lost because of her.

it's debateable i suppose. she would have been stronger if she had stayed the line imo. she put her personal grief above the bigger picture - winning the war, which ultimately was lost because of her.

i was with you until the end, how did cat lose them the war?

Robb lost them the war by marrying jeyne.

good point about stannis. a strong man would not be following around mel like a lovesick puppy.

Alright, now ya dun' it. One sentence that criticizes a character in an excessively simplistic fashion.

In thus turn, I offer you one word.

Daario.

Edit

Why do you want to group characters by their sex? They're all individuals.

I absolutely agree. The best part of the story is being able to objectively view characters for their own nuances, merits, and dis-merits, imo.

i was with you until the end, how did cat lose them the war?

Robb lost them the war by marrying jeyne.

they didn't need the freys until they lost the karstarks, and they lost the karstarks because of catelyn freeing jamie. she lost them the war and ultimately caused her son's death. this is the reason she is so full of hate in her zombie form. she hates herself.

they didn't need the freys until they lost the karstarks, and they lost the karstarks because of catelyn freeing jamie. she lost them the war and ultimately caused her son's death. this is the reason she is so full of hate in her zombie form. she hates herself.

They lost the Karstarks because Rickard Karstark wanted to kill POWs.

they'd have lost the karstarks anyway, as soon as karstark killed jaime robb would have killed him and we're back at the same problem. karstarks were a lost cause, they werent cat's fault.

the freys were directly robb's fault.

Why do you want to group characters by their sex? They're all individuals.

I absolutely agree. The best part of the story is being able to objectively view characters for their own nuances, merits, and dis-merits, imo.

gender is a huge theme in the series imo.

If only Robb didn't send Theon he'd still have the Freys.

I dunno why Doran Martell didn't fight against the Lannisters or declare independence. There was no riper opportunity to fight against the Lannisters than in the beginning of WOTFK

They lost the Karstarks because Rickard Karstark wanted to kill POWs.

...because cat freed jamie

they'd have lost the karstarks anyway, as soon as karstark killed jaime robb would have killed him and we're back at the same problem. karstarks were a lost cause, they werent cat's fault.

the freys were directly robb's fault.

i don't think so. the karstarks were fine not killing jamie for a long time before he was freed.

gender is a huge theme in the series imo.

Well, in life. Edit: Btw odd fact, dinosaurs outlasted our own species, and the females were typically bigger and more dominant.

Regardless, the 'are they stronger' might be viewed as negligible, to really need to argue whether or not they're stronger as a sex, rather than dealing with the fact some characters are unfathomably strong, and are female or male, or excessively weak and are male or female.

i don't think so. the karstarks were fine not killing jamie for a long time before he was freed.

Didn't they want him dead for quite a while? I grant you Cat releasing him stirred the kettle a little quicker, but it was going to be an issue soon or late, Jaime killed his sons, didn't he?

Archived