Think GRRM will ever release a full world map?

Mr Ser

I know Lands of Ice and Fire just came out a few months ago. I just love maps and have such curiosity about the world. Obviously, keeping mystery up to probably the last book furthers the imagination and makes sense for the story. Looking at the newest maps is just awesome! Asshai, Ulthos, Bonetown (lol), Yi Ti, etc just adds so much more mystery to the asoiaf world.

Think we'll ever find out about a south polar ice cap, the rest of Ulthos, Essos, and Sothoryos, another continent west of Westeros, etc? Along with actual information about such places?

The only chance we visit them in the books would probably be if Dany went east to get to Westeros, but any details or stays would drag her arc out wayyy too long; since we have the battle of Meereen still, along with probably a lot of action in Westeros itself.

He has said in interviews that he has more stories planned for this world after Ice and Fire, so we may get more of the map. The Lands of Ice and Fire are pretty complete as far as this story goes though. I have them and I highly doubt that we will see most of those places in any of the books, I'm sure plenty of those places only have names to fill the maps out more.

mindchap is probably right. Will we ever see Ibben? I highly doubt anything of note ever happens there. Most of the maps have just filler space that don't matter. And why need a full world map, including thousands more miles of filler space, when no one will ever see it?

But I agree with you too, OP. I bought the Lands of Ice and Fire a week ago and have been obsessed ever since and think the more we learn about any area and the more maps we get, the better.

I have tried to find topics discussing the Lands maps, I was beginning to think I was the only one who had bought them.

TBH I am as much a map geek as anyone, but the Lands book got bad reviews on Amazon. It said the quality is crap, and the fold-out maps have ugly creases where the color comes off. I'm not going to shell out 30€ or so for a U.S. style rip-off merchandise product that falls apart from a bit of light reading.

TBH I am as much a map geek as anyone, but the Lands book got bad reviews on Amazon. It said the quality is crap, and the fold-out maps have ugly creases where the color comes off. I'm not going to shell out 30€ or so for a U.S. style rip-off merchandise product that falls apart from a bit of light reading.

Yeah, I was going to order it myself, but the reviews all said that you cant fold the maps back and put them in the book without damaging them... they need a real ASOIAF atlas like the ones Karen Wynn Fonstad did for Middle Earth and Dragonlance

I don't think it's gonna happen, at least, not anytime soon.

GRRM has already said that we won't see what's east of Essos in the remaining two books, so I don't think we'll ever truly explore Ulthos and the other new lands that were in the Lands of Ice and Fire.

But he said that he'd like to go back to this world after he finishes the series, so who knows.

well at the rate he's writing, i don't he'll get time to write after the series :stillsick: but he does a lot of things in between asoiaf books, so maybe...

back to the original question, i don't think he'll make a FULL WORLD map, i think he was to leave something for our own imaginations.

Please we don't need him having anymore projects, I'm completely happy with my maps and when this series is 50 or 60 years old then people can go back and do whatever they want with it until then please JUST FINISH WRITING THE BOOKS. Sorry but he does tend to take on a lot of projects.

Archived