Why does Dany never learn to swordfight?

Roadside Rose

With regards to women vs men in combat, weapons are a great equalizer. That's why we have women in combat roles in many armies throughout the world - firearms make combat more about skill than about strength. I will say that in unarmed combat the average women, even above average women are at a massive disadvantage vs an average man.

Put an edged weapon into a woman's hands though, and the ability to close that gap starts. Put a projectile weapon into her hands, and that gap virtually ceases to exist. Now, of course in a contest of edged weapons between equally skilled woman vs man fighters, whoever has more power/speed/reach will obviously have the advantage, and I would agree that most of the time that will be the man in such a fight.

Put a highly skilled woman with a sword up against poorly trained average men, and I have no doubt that a woman can put the smack down.

I've not trained in any of the middle ages martial arts, but I've been training in Kendo for over 20 years, and I can tell you that the most common strike is a quick draw and strike to the top of the forehead, and it takes very little power to kill somebody with this technique - a 120lb highly trained woman could do it easily. I realize in the world of Asoiaf that there is armor and what not, but that works both ways.

I am of the opinion that a lot of this "super killer woman" thing is a product of Hollywood and modern writers, but GRRM I think writes it fairly accurately when there are just a few really competent women warriors in his books - they exist, but they aren't overdone like Hollywood does it with many of the movies with women fighters in them.

I've been an instructor with Sig Saeur Academy for many years, and having trained many women in defense with firearms and small edged weapons, I can attest to the competence of many women over the years. They are the same as men - some are switched on, some are not. The ones that are have skills that are hard to differentiate from those of their male counterparts.

As for the OP, I do find it strange that such a big deal is made about Visenya and her Valarian Steel sword Dark Sister, yet her descendant has no apparent weapons training at all. I'm guessing it's a literary device to focus the reader on the dragons abilities in terms of offensive capability.

And then we have Joffrey.....a skilled swordsman? Not.

Actually the text suggest Joffrey IS a very skilled swordsman, just a coward.

I've not trained in any of the middle ages martial arts, but I've been training in Kendo for over 20 years, and I can tell you that the most common strike is a quick draw and strike to the top of the forehead, and it takes very little power to kill somebody with this technique - a 120lb highly trained woman could do it easily. I realize in the world of Asoiaf that there is armor and what not, but that works both ways.

Yes, but the men are also faster and have greater stamina. When you get tired, your technique becomes sloppy. Across the board at sport you will find the best women are at most around the level of the best 16-18 year olds. This means the very best women could destroy the majority of well trained and good male competitors, but cannot compete with the best male competitors.

As for the OP, I do find it strange that such a big deal is made about Visenya and her Valarian Steel sword Dark Sister, yet her descendant has no apparent weapons training at all. I'm guessing it's a literary device to focus the reader on the dragons abilities in terms of offensive capability.

Visenya was passed down the Targaryen line and Aemon the Dragonknight wielded it.

With regards to women vs men in combat, weapons are a great equalizer. That's why we have women in combat roles in many armies throughout the world - firearms make combat more about skill than about strength. I will say that in unarmed combat the average women, even above average women are at a massive disadvantage vs an average man.

Put an edged weapon into a woman's hands though, and the ability to close that gap starts. Put a projectile weapon into her hands, and that gap virtually ceases to exist.

How come? A longsword has a substantial moment of inertia. An archer needs a whole lot of muscle mass to effectively use a traditional English longbow. And even in modern Olympic games, the world record in javelin throw for men is 25% farther than for women. Sure, if you give them light enough blades, and the opponent is kind enough to take off his armor, the fight will become a matter of skill, strength and dexterity rather than brute force (but longer reach is still an advantage). But that's a lot of "ifs".

Actually the text suggest Joffrey IS a very skilled swordsman, just a coward.

Yes,Tyrion states that Joffery in a couple of years will be as big,strong and good as Jaime.

How come? A longsword has a substantial moment of inertia. An archer needs a whole lot of muscle mass to effectively use a traditional English longbow. And even in modern Olympic games, the world record in javelin throw for men is 25% farther than for women. Sure, if you give them light enough blades, and the opponent is kind enough to take off his armor, the fight will become a matter of skill, strength and dexterity rather than brute force (but longer reach is still an advantage). But that's a lot of "ifs".

Speaking of Archery a short recurve bow is easier to learn and has a requires less power to draw,The Longbow is exponentially harder and a few of them are as tall as I am about 75-77 inches is the average length of bow I was given when I train for competitions.

Dany could easily learn to handle crossbows or shortbows.

Archived