[BOOK SPOILERS] Prologues and Epilogues

WinterKing

dont forget it also showed aSoS at the end of season 2. The prologue of the next two books, one performs little function other than to educate us about wargs, which could easily be done in other ways in the show that doesnt involve a random character none of the audience ever heard of. The Jaqen wouldnt work as it would only confuse viewers, its a place that they havent been to yet, which wouldnt make very much sense to the plot of the following season or two, so no i dont think that one will be included either. Epilogues though are a different matter. The Merret Frey scene will probably be in there, most likely in a slightly changed form, and the kevan epilogue has to be in there as it is a massive event that will impact the following season immensely

I really wish that the aCoK prologue was the first scene of season 2, but oh well.

We 'kind of but not really' got the prologue for aSoS, but since we have the two season aSoS split I don't think we'll have the Frey hanging epilogue this season, although there's a good chance we'll at least see the kiss of life from Beric.

The aFfC prologue I really doubt, since D&D are all about immediate payoff and won't want to wait an entire season just for the prologue to make sense. Plus it introduced a bunch on characters viewers have never seen or heard of before. I think the aFfC material will open with Cersei finding Tywin's corpse.

As for aDwD, I heavily doubt we'll get it. It was nearly entirely internal thoughts, and warging hasn't really been addressed well in the show so far. We also have no Varymyr (no idea how to spell it) and even though Orell is apparently taking over some of his role, I think he'll either be killed by Jon at Queenscrown or the battle at Castle Black.

The epilogue I think has a very strong chance of being in the show, probably the final scene of season 5. Either that or Jon's assassination. From what I gather the TV-only viewers like Varys, and will be excited to see him again after so long. It's quite a shocking and relevant conclusion, so it must be put in. I won't be too sure though of it being the last scene if they continue with the 'supernatural themed' season endings. We'll have to wait and see.

The AFFC prologue will happen in around the time when Sam arrives, they'll change it around a bit to show Jaqen's new face (From the end of Season 2) maybe stalking Pate and changing his face back to his original S2 face (Tom) to enter a certain building before he kills and becomes Pate to let viewers know it's the same guy.

ADWD prologue will probably be cut.

ADWD epilogue will happen at the appropriate time, whether it's S5 or 6.

Or at least, that's how I'd do it. :)

So far:

AGoT Prologue, Will - Shown in full, though slightly adapted re: who survives to get beheaded by Ned.

ACoK Prologue, Cressen - Shown in (near) full.

ASoS Prologue, Chett - Cut the character, kept the main event but focused on the established characters.

In the future, I'm thinking:

ASoS Prologue, Merret - We'll probably see it in some form in S4 to show what Catelyn and the Brotherhood are up to, might be a more established Frey though, like Black Walder

AFFC Prologue, Pate - We'll probably see it, in an adapted form. I'm thinking they'll save it, and all the Oldtown stuff, for S6 (assuming almost all of AFFC/ADWD is done in S5), giving us a sequence of events in early S6 something like: Sam arrives in Oldtown, goes to the Citadel, befriends Pate -> Pate makes deal with Jaquen -> Pate killed, Jaquen takes his identity -> Sam is now hanging out with "Pate".

ADWD Prologue, Varamyr: Cut completely, he's not connected to any of the main cast and has no plot relevance. His stuff (exposition on warging) will be given as infodumps from Orell, Jojen or Bloodraven.

ADWD Epilogue, Kevan - Guaranteed, in in its entirety. It's an important scene, connected to the main action, with plot importance.

So far:

AGoT Prologue, Will - Shown in full, though slightly adapted re: who survives to get beheaded by Ned.

ACoK Prologue, Cressen - Shown in (near) full.

ASoS Prologue, Chett - Cut the character, kept the main event but focused on the established characters.

In the future, I'm thinking:

ASoS Prologue, Merret - We'll probably see it in some form in S4 to show what Catelyn and the Brotherhood are up to, might be a more established Frey though, like Black Walder

AFFC Prologue, Pate - We'll probably see it, in an adapted form. I'm thinking they'll save it, and all the Oldtown stuff, for S6 (assuming almost all of AFFC/ADWD is done in S5), giving us a sequence of events in early S6 something like: Sam arrives in Oldtown, goes to the Citadel, befriends Pate -> Pate makes deal with Jaquen -> Pate killed, Jaquen takes his identity -> Sam is now hanging out with "Pate".

ADWD Prologue, Varamyr: Cut completely, he's not connected to any of the main cast and has no plot relevance. His stuff (exposition on warging) will be given as infodumps from Orell, Jojen or Bloodraven.

ADWD Epilogue, Kevan - Guaranteed, in in its entirety. It's an important scene, connected to the main action, with plot importance.

They might switch Kevan and Pycell for that one, since Pycell is a more prominent character in the show - it makes more sense to witness his demise instead of Kevan's.

They might switch Kevan and Pycell for that one, since Pycell is a more prominent character in the show - it makes more sense to witness his demise instead of Kevan's.

Or perhaps both? They could be discussing matters of the realm, when BAM, crossbow bolt shoots through one of them, the other looks surprised and then BAM, another bolt.

Or perhaps both? They could be discussing matters of the realm, when BAM, crossbow bolt shoots through one of them, the other looks surprised and then BAM, another bolt.

I like that. As for Kevan's not being prominent enough, the show will probably build Kevan after the PW (he's the one who talks to Tyrion on his cell) and takes Tywin's place of "patriarch" of the Lannisters after his death (so he will be important in seasons 4/5)

Yeah, even when reading the books I don't think I registered who Kevan was until Tyrion's trial. And then he's featured aplenty in Cersei's AFFC arc and gets some awesome moments (like calling her as bad a ruler as she is a mother), so the audience will be well acquainted with him by the time of his death.

The ASOS epilogue will probably occur in Season 4.

The AFFC prologue will most likely be left out entirely, I see no possible way they would do that.

The ADWD prologue is pretty useless, so I think it'll be left out.

The ADWD epilogue is the only one of these four that will 100% be in the show. Very, very important.

There is one scenario I'm hoping for in Season 3. In episode 10, I'd like to see Nymeria finding Catelyn and pulling her from the river. The title of the episode is "Mhysa", which means mother. While not an actual epilogue, this would give a 'backstory' to the ASOS epilogue.

Not to mention it would show us Nymeria. :-)

Archived