Least favourite ASOIAF book and why?

Most people will say A Feast For Crows but recently I have come to regard it as one of the better books (second only to Storm of Swords). This is because of the change in prose style to a more contemplative, slower read - but with much more emphasis on theme and subtext. I mean, just re-read that kingsmoot chapter, it's a goddamned masterpiece.

I just want to say that Im glad to see someone with almost the same view on Feast as mine own (Yes I said mine :P B) ). I think the fact that a lot of people waited 5 years for it and expected some action and not a post war arc. They might have also expected to see some of the main characters (Tyrion, Dany, Jon) POVs, but that didnt happen as well.

And how could I forget what is probably the MAIN reason why people might hate Feast. There are NO Catelyn POVs I guess Feast is the book where most people grieved for the fact that we will no longer get any POV chapters from one of the best characters in the series :P .

I honestly had hopes for a Stoneheart POV when I read ASOS's Epilogue, but that didn't happen. Still think its the second best book so far.

If Dance didn't have the northern arc, it would be the weakest to me. Likewise, if it didn't have the Meereen arc, it would be the best.

:agree: Though I enjoyed the Northern arc (Particularly Theon) I have to say Meereen (and some other things) countered that powerfully and made it the weakest for me.

There are quite a few readers, myself included, who think A Feast for Crows is the best book in the series. The idea that there is common agreement about its merit is false.

There are quite a few readers, myself included, who think A Feast for Crows is the best book in the series. The idea that there is common agreement about its merit is false.

That's why just about everyone in this thread so far has cited it, right? :P

It's fine if you like it best, and I'm sure other people do too. That doesn't mean that, by and large, it isn't cited as the weakest.

That's why just about everyone in this thread so far has cited it, right? :P

It's fine if you like it best, and I'm sure other people do too. That doesn't mean that, by and large, it isn't cited as the weakest.

I don't know about that. In the aftermath of the last book coming out, a great many posters on this forum had that one listed last on their list of favorite books.

Funny most people seem to vote for AFfC as their least favorite. I used to think absolutely on the same lines, but after a reread I came to like it lots more, mainly because of the Cersei chapters.

I came to hate her character, but these were wonderful chapters showing in full, how mad and unbalanced she really is (thinking it is everybody else who is an idiot, but not her, of course).

Yes, I also missed my favorite characters, but now we know why.

So I still think ASoS is my favorite. The least favorite? I don ' t know, every one has positive and negative points, as has been pointed out before.

AFFC. It was slow for me after reading ASOS (which is my favourite) so it was following that. It didn't have any of my favourite characters in, apart from Jaime, and I understand how the story is the aftermath of the Wo5K and showing the effects but I just found it slow and a bit boring at times.

ADWD. This was one of my favorites until the appearance of fAegon and finding out Dany made no attempt to start towards Westeros.

I thought the addition of fAegon was a little much. It was like- hey let's just bring in somebody thought to be dead and have another person trying to take the throne. It was like a aCoK story written by the Days of our Lives writers! It was like a freaking soap opera. I would have enjoyed fAegon's story line if he were brought in about 2 or 3 books earlier.

Dany either needs to get her ass to Westeros or effing die. It's to the point of getting tiresome reading her chapters in Essos - more of the same. We don't need pointless POV chapters that have nothing to do with her main story arc - just to let the dragons grow up.

Archived