Question about Theon

Since he became Reek he has deteriorated physically and seems to have aged a lot. When he's delivered to Stannis after escaping from Winterfell his sister doesn't recognize him, but while he's at Wintefell the Hooded Man does, in the dark and maybe in a snowstorm. The Hooded Man seems not to have been around for a while, so how can this be?

Id say that the hooded man could possibly be someone who has seen Theon as he got worse physically. Asha remembers him as the Prince of Winterfell, with a crown on his head. If the HM is ever identified, which I doubt he will be, a clearer answer will be available.

I don't really find it hard to believe what with Theon being openly mocked as a turncloak by damn near everyone within Winterfell. The Hoodedman would have no trouble obtaining the knowledge of his identity, seeing as it wasn't a secret to begin with, change of appearance or not.

Everyone at Winterfell knows who Theon is.... That was necessary for Theon (Stark's ward) to support the claim that Jeyne Poole was Arya Stark. He gave her away in front of the entire castle... He's the most notorious person at Winterfell. I'm pretty sure no one in Winterfell has trouble identifying him.

All the same, Theon is the hooded man.

A lot of people "identifying" Theon could just be power of suggestion. Roose says this is Theon. The perception distributes socially. He says that's Arya, and it's reinforced. As far as I know, Stannis never met Theon before. He's not recognizing him. He's believing. Coincidentally, it's true. He's halfway through the Arya Stark playbook already. He's someone that people would rather not look upon.

The Theon Durden theory just seems wrong to me. A bit meta, but something like that seems like a major plot device not a one-off throw away for a paragraph or two. Nothing else in ADWD or the Theon sample chapter suggests this Gollum / Smeagol thing going on.

It seems to me like the HM did recognize Theon and was surprised by this (why else would he put his hand to his dagger). Furthermore he was surprised that Theon was still alive

Not sure how this can happen when even Asha does not recognize Theon but there it is.

Archived