How can anyone say Ned Stark isn't honorable?

To me the biggest issue with Ned has always been when the Lannisters brought the smashed targ babies. He turned quietly and headed back to the North. He never called BS on Jon Arryn and Robert. He never called them out for Tywins grisly gift.

To me the biggest issue with Ned has always been when the Lannisters brought the smashed targ babies. He turned quietly and headed back to the North. He never called BS on Jon Arryn and Robert. He never called them out for Tywins grisly gift.

Except he did. Then he went back north.

Where is the honor in lying to your wife and showing zero respect and trust in her. I get not spreading it around the castle who Jon was....maybe not even telling the kids. Why not Cat? What was the upside?

Well in this case respecting one loved one's wish ended up damaging the relationship with another loved one...

Plus again we never heard it....but asking Ned to take the boy and raise it as his own does not include "You need to lie to your wife about it"

He did. He and Robert even had a huge falling out over this. Then he went off to release the siege on Storms End and rescue Lyanna. It was the grief both felt at Lyanna's death, which reconciled them.

Ned is an honourable and good man, but he would always choose family over honour. He was more of a Tully than a Stark. "family, duty and honour" were the motto to his life.

He's honorable, maybe he didn't make the best decisions, or he screwed up from time to time, but he was still an honorable man. Maybe he shouldn't have kept the truth for Catelyn, or maybe he should have told Robert, but because he didn't always succeed in doing the truly just/honest thing doesn't mean that he is completely dishonorable...

Plus, raising a bastard after being married, and bringing said bastard to his home for his lady wife to see every day doesn't stop people from thinking him honorable, it's only ever challenged by Cersei who gets fed up because Ned doesn't want to sleep with her.

Archived