Will shireen have a important role in what happens at the end of the series?

Swafford25

Duty does not equal love or caring, so I think you are proving my point with that quote. I don't think Stannis cares for anyone, but I would never suggest he does not have a sense of duty.

ETA: And to answer the OP, I cannot see Shireen having any major role. IMO she is there to show us some things about the characters of Stannis, Selyse and Davos. And to give Patchface a reason to exist. That guy is going to pull something. He is scary.

Well, if you think Stannis is incapable of human emotion/is a sociopath, then I can see where you're coming from. But my view is that he actually does have feelings (including things like caring about others), but generally has a hard time expressing them.

Well, if you think Stannis is incapable of human emotion/is a sociopath, then I can see where you're coming from. But my view is that he actually does have feelings (including things like caring about others), but generally has a hard time expressing them.

I would not say he is a sociopath, just a rather cold person. I would say LF is a sociopath.

Unfortunately people believe this. But I think this is because we dont have a Stannis POV. Stannis will never openly admit that he loves his daughter to anyone. Doesn't mean that he doesn't though. Stannis is a man leading an army in a war. He doesn't really have time for his daughter. Doesn't mean he doesn't care for her.

If I am correct, he openly admitted to loving his brothers, at least at a time. If he says that about his brother, he surely thinks it about Shireen.

I concede, I phrased that poorly. I think he cares for his daughter, but IMO he cares for the throne more.

There is no evidence that Selyse hates her own daughter. She didn't touch Shireen's greyscale cheek. That's all. Jon could be right that she is grossed out by it and avoids it. Or he could be wrong, and Selyse ignored it for a different reason (Shireen may not like it or simply may not be able to feel it which would make it pointless to touch).

Thanks, I gotta finish this reread before I start getting all my characterizations from the show...

Pretty sure in a GRRM interview I read from 2001 or so(after ASoS was released) when asked about future new POVs GRRM was like "Asha definitely, Cersei and towards the end of the series, Shireen."

That being said, he has recently stated(as in last year or so) that there will be NO new POV characters excluding prologues/epilogues.

What this screams to me is either he originally planned for Shireen to be a major character in the end and changed his mind, she IS going to be a major character and he realized he wouldn't need to make her a POV to show this or she is going to be prologue/epilogue character.

Hopefully his change of heart is because of a creative shift, and not because of all the negative criticism of Feast/Dance.

If your memory is correct this is a very interesting statement on his part. It sort of gives to much away since she seems endangered by the mutiny or whatever you call what happened at the Wall at the end of the last book. Aeron Greyjoy, Aero Hotah, among others have gotten PoVs so I'm not sure that getting a few for her makes her an important character necassarily. I've always thought that if she survives and Stannis wins and restores Rickon to his rights the two of them, Rickon and Shireen would be married or have a marriage contract made for them. Still that was from an old interveiw probaly before he scrapped the 3 year jump so I do not know how relavent it is to where he is going with things now.

Archived