[Book Spoilers]The "Episode 9" Moment of Season 4

Tewks44

I think the 9th episode will be a combination of Tywin and Shae dying (with Tyrion escaping). Jon Snow being elected Lord Commander of the night's watch and the battle at Mereen with Ser Jorah and Ser Barristan moving through the sewers.

9 will be the last Tyrion chapter of ASoS. 10 will be the immediate rammifications of that, from both AFfC and ADwD (so the discovery of Tywin's death, and Tyrion's arrival in Pentos), and finish with the ASos epilogue and the reveal of Lady Stoneheart.

Calling it.

9 will be the last Tyrion chapter of ASoS. 10 will be the immediate rammifications of that, from both AFfC and ADwD (so the discovery of Tywin's death, and Tyrion's arrival in Pentos), and finish with the ASos epilogue and the reveal of Lady Stoneheart.

Calling it.

Most of us are calling the same.

As far as episode final scenes are concerned here are all of my predictions:

Season 4:

31 - The Brotherhood Without Banners finds Catelyn's body but we don't see the revival.

32 - Balon Greyjoy is pushed off the bridge at Pyke, and we see the Silence in the background.* Also in the episode: Oberyn arrives in King's Landing, Daenerys finds the children nailed to posts marking the road to Meereen

33 - Jon finds a dying Ygritte in the aftermath of the battle. Also in the episode: the battle at Castle Black itself, Euron crowns himself and Loras joins the Kingsguard

34 - Joffrey dies and Tyrion is arrested while Sansa escapes. Also in the episode: Daenerys arrives at Meereen.

35 - YarAsha is defeated by the Boltons. Also in the episode: Dontos leads Sansa to a boat that turns out to be Petyr's, Rickon and Osha arrive at the Last Hearth.

36 - Ramsay receives word of Rickon's whereabouts and tells Reek that they are going to go on a hunt. Also in the episode: Jaime sends Brienne to search for Sansa, Jorah's betrayal is revealed to Daenerys, the siege of the wall begins and Aemon tells Jon "The Wall is Yours"

37 - Bran and co are assaulted by wights only to be saved by a wight (Coldhands. I predict such a scene to play out in a similar way to Coldhands saving Sam in the book). Also in the episode: Tyrion's trial, Alayne and Petyr arrive at the Eyrie, Arya and Sandor fight Polliver, Rorge and Biter at the inn of the crossroads and she leaves Sandor for dead. Daenerys' forces defeat the Stormcrows who are drunk (I predict Meereen in the show to play out like Yunkai in the books, because Yunkai in the show played out like Meereen in the books)

38 - Stannis arrives and crushes the Wildlings. Also in the episode: Brienne meets Gendry on the road and they agree to travel together, Oberyn offers to champion Tyrion, Arya gets on a ship to Braavos, Daenerys has 163 slavers nailed to posts

39 - Oberyn vs Gregor. Also in the episode: Ramsay and Reek finally track down Rickon but Theon does something to save him, YarAsha returns to Pyke and confronts Euron and a Kingsmoot is announced,

40 - Black Walder is hung by Catelyn. Also in the episode: Jorah is exiled, Lysa is killed, Daenerys decides to rule Meereen, Tyrion escapes and kills Tywin and Shae and then boards a ship with Varys

*Balon dying does not mean YarAsha will turn back and abandon the attack on the Dreadfort.. She is on a boat so she will have no way to know that he is dead.

Season 5:

41 - Daenerys is told that her unsullied are being assassinated. Also in the episode: Tywin's corpse is found, Tyrion and Varys arrive in Pentos, Arya is accepted into the House of Black and White, Quentyn, Arch and Gerris are given an unknown mission by Doran**, Stannis offers to legitimise Jon

42 - Euron wins the Kingsmoot. Also in the episode: Samwell sets up Jon's election win

43 - Jon wins the election and is named Lord Commander. Also in the episode: Tommen is wed to Margaery, Tyrion meets Griff and co, Daenerys orders the dragons be confined, Cersei burns down to tower of the hand

44 - Quentyn and co are attacked in the stepstones and Archibald Yronwood is killed. Also in the episode: Doran imprisons the Sand Snakes, Viserion and Rhaegal are chained, Stannis sends Davos to win the support of the Manderlys, Reek clears Moat Cailin

45 - Daenerys tells Hizdahr that if he can stop the assassinations she will marry him. Also in the episode: Jon sends Sam to Oldtown, Cersei orders Jaime to lead the siege of Riverrun

46 - Tyrion and co are attacked by stone men. Also in the episode: Cersei rearms the faith, Petyr meets with the Lords Declarant, Stannis burns Mance

47 - Arianne's plot to crown Myrcella fails. Also in the episode: Davos is arrested at White Harbour, Loras is sent to lead the siege of Dragonstone

48 - Bran and co reach the cave after being attacked by wights. Also in the episode: Quentyn signs with The Windblown, Tyrion's words are proved true to Jaime by Lancel, Tryion is captured by Jorah

49 - Jon executes Janos***. Also in the episode: Bran finally meets Bloodraven, Sam and co leave Braavos, Rickon's location is revealed to Davos, Brienne and co are attacked by Locke and his men, Gendry kill Locke and the Brotherhood saves them

50 - Cersei is imprisoned by the faith. Also in the episode: Margaery is imprisoned by the faith, Brienne is hung by Catelyn, Arya kills Pyp for desertion, Euron sends Victarion to retrieve Daenerys and he dragons, Doran reveals Quentyn's true mission to Arianne, Quentyn arrives in Slaver's Bay, Daenerys agrees to marry Hizdahr

**My theory is that they will keep the nature of Quentyn's mission secret so the audience assumes he is trying to steal Arianne's inheritance, making his arrival in Meereen a reveal in the finale.

***I believe that they will enhance and emphasise Janos and Alliser's scheming making this a much bigger moment than in the books. Also, I believe that instead of having one huge scene as a climax, there will be many big scenes instead so it will still be a solid episode.

Season 6 (based on ADwD material and the stuff from TWoW that has been released or read, so this could easily change depending on the TWoW stuff that we don't know about):

51 - Daenerys is informed that Brown Ben and the Stormcrows have defected to Yunkai. Also in the episode: Jaime meets with the Blackfish, Aegon hires the Golden Company and convinces them to sail straight to Westeros, Kevan is named Lord Regent, Quentyn and Gerris are to infiltrate Meereen

52 - Tyrion and Jorah's vessel falls apart in a storm. Also in the episode: Jeyne marries Ramsay, Bran wargs into the weirwood network and speaks to Theon, Mance is revealed to be alive, Quentyn reveals himself to Daenerys, Maester Aemon dies. Riverrun surrenders but the Blackfish escapes.

53 - Jaime burns Cersei's letter and follows Brienne. Also in the episode: Tyrion and Jorah are captured by slavers, Daenerys shows Quentyn the dragons, Tormund passes south of the Wall, Cersei confesses her sins, Aegon lands in Westeros and JonCon sends a letter to Doran, Daenerys marries Hizdahr, YarAsha is captured by Stannis

54 - Alys Karstark arrives at Winterfell. Also in the episode: Daenerys announces the reopening of the fighting pits, Tyrion and Jorah are sold to a Yunkish Lord and told they are to perform their act in the fighting pits (a dwarf fighting a bear), Arianne is sent to investigate Aegon, Moqorro is saved by Victarion, Sam meets with Archmaester Marwyn

55 - The fighting pit scene. Also in the episode: Aegon takes Griffin's Roost, Cersei's walk of shame, Moqorro heals Victarion's hand, Pate is killed by Jaqen, Samwell befriend Alleras and Pate (Jaqen)

56 - Varys kills Kevan and Pycelle. Also in the episode: Theon escapes Winterfell with Jeyne, Alys marries Sigorn and Cregan is arrested

57 - Khal Jhaqo's khalasar surrounds Daenerys and Drogon in the Dothraki sea. Also in the episode: Hardhome, Theon and co reach Stannis' camp

58 - YarAsha insists that Stannis sacrifice Theon to the Old Gods, not the Red God. Also in the episode: Bowen Marsh tells Jon he is breaking the vows by assisting the Wildlings and imprisoning Cregan, Barristan and Quentyn both set up their schemes, Tyrion and Jorah escape and join the Stormcrows, Aegon captures Storm's End

59 - Barristan deposes Hizdahr and Quentyn unleashes the dragons. Also in the episode: the letter from Hardhome, Stannis vs the Boltons

60 - Jon is killed by his sworn brothers. Also in the episode: Quentyn succumbs to his wounds (Remember: for the most part each episode in this season will have a higher proportion of TWoW stuff than the last)

My full detailed predictions for seasons 4-6 can be found here:

http://tahu909.livejournal.com/591.html

I'd also like to post my episode final scene predictions:

episode 1: Balon Greyjoy is pushed off a bridge and dies

episode 2: Joffrey dies and Tyrion is arrested

episode 3: Bran & co. are assaulted by wights/Night's Watch mutineers and Coldhands saves the day

episode 4: Jon Snow finds a dying Ygritte in the aftermath of the first Wildling raid on the Wall

episode 5: Arya and the Hound kill some of the Mountain's men at the Crossroads Inn and Arya gets Needle back

episode 6: Janos Slynt and Alliser Thorne imprison Jon Snow after the Battle of the Wall

episode 7: Arya gets on a ship which will take her to Braavos

episode 8: Stannis arrives at the Wall routs the Wildlings

episode 9: Tyrion strangles Shae and kills Tywin with a crossbow

episode 10: Catelyn hangs Freys.

I could see them having Brienne travel during season 4 and ending her season arc with the meeting with Lady Stoneheart, keeping it a secret until Brienne meets her.

I'm gonna take a guess at some final scenes as well:

1 - Death of Balon Greyjoy

2 - Bran&co are saved from wights by Coldhands

3 - Joffrey dies and Tyrion is accused of murder

4 - Ygritte dies in Jon Snow's arms

5 - Jorah's betrayal is revealed and Daenerys sends him on a risky mission

6 - Arya retrieves Needle

7 - Stannis arrives at the Wall

8 - Oberyn is killed by the Mountain

9 - Tyrion kills Tywin

10 - Reveal of Lady Stoneheart

I'd also like to post my episode final scene predictions:

episode 1: Balon Greyjoy is pushed off a bridge and dies

episode 2: Joffrey dies and Tyrion is arrested

episode 3: Bran & co. are assaulted by wights/Night's Watch mutineers and Coldhands saves the day

episode 4: Jon Snow finds a dying Ygritte in the aftermath of the first Wildling raid on the Wall

episode 5: Arya and the Hound kill some of the Mountain's men at the Crossroads Inn and Arya gets Needle back

episode 6: Janos Slynt and Alliser Thorne imprison Jon Snow after the Battle of the Wall

episode 7: Arya gets on a ship which will take her to Braavos

episode 8: Stannis arrives at the Wall routs the Wildlings

episode 9: Tyrion strangles Shae and kills Tywin with a crossbow

episode 10: Catelyn hangs Freys.

At least one of these I think is going to be the Red Viper vs the Mountain. Maybe episode 7. Otherwise I agree with your list

I don't think they'll break the format that is working for them just to stick to this - and I wouldn't want them to! They'll have to add a lot of AFFC/ADWD to other story lines anyway, it makes sense to me to have Tywin die in episode 9 and bring some aftermath forward to ep10, but still leave much up in the air, such as no answer as to where Tyrion has gone just a goodbye from Varys.

Tyrion killing Tywin in episode 10 would be so unexpected, for exactly this reason; no non-reader will be expecting it. The very fact that you're calling it a "format" shows that they need to break from tradition. Game of Thrones isn't a show that should be described as predictable.

And episode 10 will be an exciting one in any case, what with Littlefinger killing Lysa, and Lady Stoneheart. Why not go all the way with it and include a third killing? I for one think that the most bold and unexpected course of action is the way to go, and it's more in line with the spirit of the show. Do it this way and people will be talking about the show like never before.

Tyrion killing Tywin in episode 10 would be so unexpected, for exactly this reason; no non-reader will be expecting it. The very fact that you're calling it a "format" shows that they need to break from tradition. Game of Thrones isn't a show that should be described as predictable.

I disagree. Most audiences don't like when shows break formula. Why do you think CBS procedurals are the highest rated shows on television? Because people know exactly what they're getting and when. The format has been working for them for three seasons; there's no sense in changing it.

I disagree. Most audiences don't like when shows break formula. Why do you think CBS procedurals are the highest rated shows on television? Because people know exactly what they're getting and when. The format has been working for them for three seasons; there's no sense in changing it.

So you don't think Lady Stoneheart or "Only Cat" will be in the episode at all? If they're going to make it like the book remotely, they're going to have to deliver a more exciting episode 10 than usual. Needlessly contorting the story just to copy an arbitrary formula isn't the way to go. Do you think people will stop watching just because they do an exciting finale for a change? Book readers will be happy that they followed the source material, and non-readers will be happy at seeing a bat-shit crazy finale.

So you don't think Lady Stoneheart or "Only Cat" will be in the episode at all?

I didn't say anything about LS or "Only Cat" there. We were talking about Tyrion killing Tywin, which going by how the show has been formatted for three seasons is an Episode 9 moment. The LS reveal is not a climax, and it sets up the next season perfectly, so I do believe it will end Ep 10. As for Lysa & the Moon Door, if you went back a couple pages you'd see that I can go either way on that one. It is a climactic moment, so I could see it going in Ep 9; but at the same time, Lysa is an incredibly minor character, and LF killing her also sets up the next season perfectly, so it could go in Ep 10. So Ep 10 could still be more exciting than usual without making it a bloodbath.

I'm thinking episode 9 will either be Tyrion killing Tywin and Shae, or the conclusion of the battle at the wall. Whichever one doesn't happen will occur in episode 10. Somewhere in there we will have the Moon Door moment. I'm fully prepared for another epic Littlefinger monologue during that episode and I think the reveal that Littlefinger/Lysa were the masterminds behind Jon Arryn's death and pitting the Starks and Lannisters against one another will be a very huge shock for TV viewers. I know it was for me when I first read it.

I also think by this point Dany will have already taken Mereen. I really don’t want to spend 9-10 episodes on her campaign of traveling to and conquering Mereen. It will be nice to have a more negative conclusion for her story arch for once.

As for what I personally want to see: I think I want Shae/Tywin’s deaths in the last episode. That’s one of my favorite scenes from the entire series and I think it wraps up Act. 1 of the King’s Landing arch perfectly. If it’s put in episode 9 I guess we can have one or two fabricated scenes where Tyrion boards the boat for Essos. It might seem like an epic “Tyrion is going to meet up with Dany!” moment for tv viewers, but most of us will know better …

Most of the story arcs seem pretty obvious as far as where their conclusions will end save for Brienne/Pod/Gendry? and Bran’s arcs. I really have no idea where they will be at, by the end of the season. It feels like it would be too soon to have Bran arrive at Brynden’s cave.

And I personally want Lady Stoneheart’s reveal to be the last scene of episode 1 (because I want to actually see some of the BwB’s actions) … but I’m beginning to think it’ll be the last scene of the season. I just really wish we did not have to wait that long to see her.

As for what I personally want to see: I think I want Shae/Tywin’s deaths in the last episode. That’s one of my favorite scenes from the entire series and I think it wraps up Act. 1 of the King’s Landing arch perfectly. If it’s put in episode 9 I guess we can have one or two fabricated scenes where Tyrion boards the boat for Essos. It might seem like an epic “Tyrion is going to meet up with Dany!” moment for tv viewers, but most of us will know better …

I know I sound like a broken record on not wanting Tyrion to kill Tywin in episode 9 (it has "finale moment" written all over it), but if it is in episode 9, I don't think he should be in the finale at all. First of all, they shouldn't make it seem like the trip to Pentos is that short (it isn't that narrow of a sea), and it would be better to keep the audience guessing as to just where Varys is sending him off to. Then we finally get the answer in the season 5 premiere.

At least one of these I think is going to be the Red Viper vs the Mountain. Maybe episode 7. Otherwise I agree with your list

Actually, I always pictured that taking place in the beginning of episode 7, much in the same way that Hound vs. Beric took place as the first scene of 'Kissed by Fire'. That would be the only KL scene that episode.

I know I sound like a broken record on not wanting Tyrion to kill Tywin in episode 9 (it has "finale moment" written all over it), but if it is in episode 9, I don't think he should be in the finale at all. First of all, they shouldn't make it seem like the trip to Pentos is that short (it isn't that narrow of a sea), and it would be better to keep the audience guessing as to just where Varys is sending him off to. Then we finally get the answer in the season 5 premiere.

I too feel like a broken record the opposite way :)

How is that a "finale moment"? It's two major deaths and a shocking twist in the story. Based on the way the show is formatted (Ned's beheading, Blackwater, Red Wedding) they always like to have the big, shocking twists/moments in episode 9. Episode 10 they like to be a cool-down episode, showing people's reactions and the aftermath of the episode 9 moment, and finally one big moment (usually a visual spectacle, to give us a resounding image that will keep us hanging on: dragons, White Walkers, epic Dany shot from above) to round off the season.

Based on this, the show has a perfect formula pretty much laid out for them next season: episode 9: the 'Hands of Gold' moment, then in episode 10: Tyrion getting on the ship to Pentos and saying bye to Varys, and Cersei finding Tywin's body.

Apart from the LS reveal, I really can't see why people think they're going to save anything really momentous for episode 10 (except maybe the Moon Door: that kind of rounds off the first 1/3 of the series nicely, so I think it should be the penultimate scene of the finale right before the LS reveal, just like in the books). People saying that it would be pointless to have the Hands of Gold moment in episode 9 only to have Tyrion on a ship in the finale obviously haven't been paying attention to the way the show is formatted: Big moment in 9, fallout in 10. I'm not saying I particularly agree with this way of doing things - personally, I'd prefer to have 2-hour finales - but they have a perfectly good structure pretty much laid out for them by the books, and I can't see why they would discard it.

Apart from the LS reveal, I really can't see why people think they're going to save anything really momentous for episode 10 (except maybe the Moon Door: that kind of rounds off the first 1/3 of the series nicely, so I think it should be the penultimate scene of the finale right before the LS reveal, just like in the books). People saying that it would be pointless to have the Hands of Gold moment in episode 9 only to have Tyrion on a ship in the finale obviously haven't been paying attention to the way the show is formatted: Big moment in 9, fallout in 10. I'm not saying I particularly agree with this way of doing things - personally, I'd prefer to have 2-hour finales - but they have a perfectly good structure pretty much laid out for them by the books, and I can't see why they would discard it.

I KNOW, RIGHT.

Archived