why the confusion over Dragonsteel?

TheLastTarg

I really have no idea what Dragonsteel is. It could be Valyrian Steel. I think arguing over timelines is a waste of time in this instance because GRRM has said don't take reported history as being accurate in terms of time. Yes, from what he have been told the Last Hero existed before Valyrian came to power, but there is no way to know if that timeline is truly accurate.

I think this is a case where we will know what Dragonsteel is when GRRM tells us what it is.

But then what would we be doing until the next book comes out? Working? Come on...

I really have no idea what Dragonsteel is. It could be Valyrian Steel. I think arguing over timelines is a waste of time in this instance because GRRM has said don't take reported history as being accurate in terms of time. Yes, from what he have been told the Last Hero existed before Valyrian came to power, but there is no way to know if that timeline is truly accurate..

I tend to agree with this. The massive span of time supposedly from the Age of Heroes to the current time is so vast, it's hard to imagine it is accurate. I mean single families retaining names and sigils for 10s of thousands of years is hard to swallow. The first men didn't seem to keep accurate records of time. Perhaps "thousands of years ago" was a gross embellishment of "too many generations to keep track of." Nothing makes an epic story more epic then making numbers bigger. I mean Noah in our Bible supposedly lived to their 900s or something right?

So maybe as you said, perhaps Valyria was around and was producing steel roughly during the same time period that the first men understood as the Long Night. Not nearly as long ago as the old Nan's bedtime stories claim. Might some valyrian steel have ended up in westeros, somehow during this time. Entirely possible.

Dawn being the end of the Long Night. The names fit quite well. Not sure why Dawn would be called Dragonsteel, unless it was on fire/glowing after being imbued (connection with Lightbringer and Nissa Nissa perhaps?).

It's because comets are associated with dragons. Maester Aemon about dragons:

"Dragons," Aemon whispered. "The grief and glory of my House, they were."

"The last dragon died before you were born," said Sam. "How could you remember them?"

"I see them in my dreams, Sam. I see a red star bleeding in the sky. I still remember red.«

In Nan's story to Bran about the Last Hero, she says that all of LH's companions had died, his dog had died and his blade was broken and then they found him.....this seems to suggest that whatever weapon LH used to defeat the Others came from the CotF. Dawn is described as having a light colored blade (unlike the grey of steel). My money is on Dawn or a sword in the crypts of Winterfell, whatever sword that the Valyrian steel Ice was forged to replace.

• 2 weeks later...

Obsidian is known as "frozen fire, gragonglass".And what kills an other is dragonglass daggers right?So we know that Others swords shatter normal swords by decreasing their heat and freezing them but when they use it on "frozen fire" they can't take its heat because it is already frozen also it is frozen fire.

Much like how dragons are fire made into flesh, obsidian is supposed to be fire made into solid form. That is why when a white walker is stabbed by an obsidian blade, their armor starts to melt and their blood begins to boil.

What? Where is it stated that Valyrian steel comes from dragon fire? We know there are spells involved, but aside from that we don't know much about it.

It's funny, and no offense, but sometimes I feel like people just imagine stuff.

IIRC GRRM mentioned it in a Q&A.

Archived