Jon using both Dawn and the Night's Watch against The Others?

King of Winters

Dawn doesn't pass along in the Dayne family the way other family swords do. The "Sword of the Morning" is a position of proven worth. My take is that this office is not merely a reward for those worthy to wield it, but rather those deemed worthy protect it.

The Daynes are an ancient house, they are First Men, and the timeline given by Darkstar says they've been around for 10,000 years. My suspicion is that they were given the task of protecting Dawn for the next Long Night to give to the new "last hero" (or whoever leads this battle). So Jon (or whoeever) doesn't have to be a Dayne to use it in the Long Night.

Now this makes sense.

Dawn doesn't pass along in the Dayne family the way other family swords do. The "Sword of the Morning" is a position of proven worth. My take is that this office is not merely a reward for those worthy to wield it, but rather those deemed worthy protect it.

The Daynes are an ancient house, they are First Men, and the timeline given by Darkstar says they've been around for 10,000 years. My suspicion is that they were given the task of protecting Dawn for the next Long Night to give to the new "last hero" (or whoever leads this battle). So Jon (or whoeever) doesn't have to be a Dayne to use it in the Long Night.

That's exactly what I think.

Speaking about Longclaw, I think Jon might use it against an Other, before he gets Dawn, and it shatters and he's surprised because he thought Valyrian Steel was Dragonsteel. He then gets Dawn and finds out that it's Dragonsteel.

But there's only '2' books left...

Jon's in a tight spot right now, and it might take a while for him to get better (and maybe not much, if the Gods interfere, they know the time table better - first 100-200 pages that were cut might have solved the cliffies?). Now, he's not even been close to an Other, let alone fight him, so he'd have to go find himself one and find his sword inadequate. He'd have to once more escape alive, and no one but Sam has done that so far, and then he'd have to travel all the way to Starfall and back with could take an entire book or more, definitely in wartime?

And best is, when he gets to Starfall perhaps Gerold Dayne has stolen the sword? Er...

But maybe the latter will take the sword to Jon out of the goodness of his heart and cut off some travel time. Yah.

They are going to sail right past the wall and the main force is going to sack either KL or White Harbor,

I would love to see Others in KL. They all think the Others are a problem for the Nights watch and the North. Imagine Cercie if she was face to face with a Wight Walker.

im under the belief that the sword would be used to take down the great other, not the horde of wights and Others really.

I don't think The Great Other and The Others are connected. They do have "Other" in their names but it's Mels who says it, and she's been wrong before.

But there's only '2' books left...

Jon's in a tight spot right now, and it might take a while for him to get better (and maybe not much, if the Gods interfere, they know the time table better - first 100-200 pages that were cut might have solved the cliffies?). Now, he's not even been close to an Other, let alone fight him, so he'd have to go find himself one and find his sword inadequate. He'd have to once more escape alive, and no one but Sam has done that so far, and then he'd have to travel all the way to Starfall and back with could take an entire book or more, definitely in wartime?

And best is, when he gets to Starfall perhaps Gerold Dayne has stolen the sword? Er...

But maybe the latter will take the sword to Jon out of the goodness of his heart and cut off some travel time. Yah.

I either think that Dawn is going to be on its way to Jon in TWOW or maybe someone finds out Dawn in Dragonsteel and Jon sends someone to go and get, but that would take too long. But I do think by the end of TWOW Jon will have Dawn.

I don't think The Great Other and The Others are connected. They do have "Other" in their names but it's Mels who says it, and she's been wrong before.

yeah she has but, i believe they are connected based on a few theories I have, not so much on what The Red Psycho says.............but she has to be right at least once, poor girls track recod sucks cant she get one?

yeah she has but, i believe they are connected based on a few theories I have, not so much on what The Red Psycho says.............but she has to be right at least once, poor girls track recod sucks cant she get one?

I like the theory that the reason it's called The Great Other is because it's actually R'hllor as well.

Is 'The Great Other' not just a something used to explain the presence of the Others? Someone they see as a God, or a leader, just like our religious figures are 'there' but not there?

The Great Other and The Others are two separate things. One is from a religion from the other side of the world and one is actually real and not connected to the religion at all.

I would love to see Others in KL. They all think the Others are a problem for the Night's Watch and the North. Imagine Cersei if she was face to face with a White Walker.

Yes, I'd like to see Cersei's face when there's a White Walker in front of her. Will she realise how awesome she was for not sending them help, but instead wanted to use supposed help to kill the LC?

The North honestly doesn't deserve to get to near extinction just because some rich, power hungry snobs care for nothing but that retarded Game of Thrones that in the end matters sh*t when the Others are coming.

I either think that Dawn is going to be on its way to Jon in TWOW or maybe someone finds out Dawn in Dragonsteel and Jon sends someone to go and get, but that would take too long. But I do think by the end of TWOW Jon will have Dawn.

If Dawn's the sword, he would definitely need it by the end of TWoW, as I think they'll start their attack then.

Sam is closest for picking it up, and perhaps he'll discover it's likely that sword. People from the Wall going to Starfall takes too long, and maybe birds don't even reach Oldtown any more because of the very bad weather conditions in the North. I must say I'd rather see Jon in Starfall - to see their reactions to him - than a Sam POV there. But I guess I must yield because he cannot do everything alone. :lol:

I don't really see the sword getting to the Wall in a different way, e.g. Edric Dayne or even Gerold bringing it to him, because why would they. They might not even know any more what it was originally for. Sam will have to bring books to convince them.

One thing, though. If it is or was Dawn, would Rhaegar have figured it out? Arthur Dayne was his closest friend, so it practically never left his presence. We know Rhaegar had a few things wrong, but was he thinking of that possible sword already? Was Rhaegar's book not in the Citadel? Or the couple pages? I hope Sam will be fast with his learning. He shouldn't bother with a chain, he'll never make it.

If Dawn's the sword, he would definitely need it by the end of TWoW, as I think they'll start their attack then.

Sam is closest for picking it up, and perhaps he'll discover it's likely that sword. People from the Wall going to Starfall takes too long, and maybe birds don't even reach Oldtown any more because of the very bad weather conditions in the North. I must say I'd rather see Jon in Starfall - to see their reactions to him - than a Sam POV there. But I guess I must yield because he cannot do everything alone. :lol:

I don't really see the sword getting to the Wall in a different way, e.g. Edric Dayne or even Gerold bringing it to him, because why would they. They might not even know any more what it was originally for. Sam will have to bring books to convince them.

One thing, though. If it is or was Dawn, would Rhaegar have figured it out? Arthur Dayne was his closest friend, so it practically never left his presence. We know Rhaegar had a few things wrong, but was he thinking of that possible sword already? Was Rhaegar's book not in the Citadel? Or the couple pages? I hope Sam will be fast with his learning. He shouldn't bother with a chain, he'll never make it.

Yes, it's a possibility that Sam will be the one to figure out Dawn is Dragonsteel. Maybe when he's at The Citadal he'll go to Starfall and try and persuade them to give him Dawn and then he'll sail to The Wall just in time to give Jon Dawn.

Archived