The Bleeding Star (The Prince Who Was Promised)

I didn't realize GRRM was such an epic troll as to create a dense work of literary brilliance only to have it be a great joke on us.

Maybe he has something to say about humanity, politics and war, with his books. It's crossed my mind that this could be a vague nod to the situation with global warming. GRRM said that he believes winter is coming for mankind, so make of that what you will.

He's also avoided the Vietnam war, and highlighting the pathetic futility of power struggles might be another theme he wished to address.

Mankind is the biggest troll the world has ever seen.

finally someone back on topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

everyone got lost about the iron throne but thats my fault for adding that into this thread i guess.

this is precisely what i am talking about about dany being azor azhai and the prince who was promised.

its also said that in westeros it is said that azor azhai is known as the last hero.

The only thing that I wanted to add, was I saw a great post one time by I think Apple Martini about how the Nights Watch could be Lightbringer. It was actually very compelling and there was alot of evidence presented making it just as believable that Azor Azai could be Jon Snow, as it is that Danaerys could be. Everything from the words in their vows, their location being right at the wall near the Others and White Walkers, and Jon Snow's dream about fighting with the Red Sword and being the Lord Commander is gone over in length.

Maybe Danaerys and Jon Snow will fulfill the prophecy together somehow, but that thread is definitely worth taking a look at. I think it is called, "Could Lightbringer be the Nights Watch?".

I think Jon is TPTWP .... maybe AA too.

I lean toward Dany becoming more of an antagonist.

In regards to the Iron Throne... I tend to think it won't be around at the end. I'm not sure why people think the "Game of Thrones" is the centerpiece of the books... It's just the title of book one. Important, yes, but the centerpiece, no... no more than the Dance with Dragons is the centerpiece. The story is about The Song of Ice and Fire: Jon

This is tv show... so excuse me for it (but I do think this is how he tends to think) ... When asked why he wants to join the Wildlings Jon says he wants to fight for the side of the living. I think that is what the story (in the books) is going to come down to... The characters fighting for the people and the character fighting for themselves. Jon falls into the fighting for the people category... Dany and Aegon I'm pretty sure will fall into fighting for themselves category.

if some giant comes into my city ready to kill every single one of us and there is only 1 who can save us then ofcourse i will be backing him up.

Then that much genre saviness does you credit, but I fear you might be one of a few. Others may back up another one who appears like the only 1 who can save you and in the end won't turn out to be, still others will be fleeing the city instead and focus on saving themselves and their families and the remainder will be busy selling reasonably priced sausages to the rest, assuring each other the annoying problem with the giant will soon be solved by the markets.

Mankind is the biggest troll the world has ever seen.

I declare this my favourite aphorism of the week and will quote it three times in the following 7 days. :bowdown:

word of note there - 'Generally'

all the stuff george has put into this book, quite a lot of it does not come generally. you have to think differently. everyone has the power to do that. its called imagination btw.

IM HOPING HE IS! but it would seem hes not. but nevertheless im also identifying the possibility of this being true and real because atm only george rr martin knows the future story and the ending.

Incorrect. Real world knowledge and understanding forms that imagination. For instance, why does this planet that the books take place on have such weird seasons?

Applying what I know of our own seasons and of the orbit of the Earth around the sun, I can deduce that whatever planet this is on has an elliptical orbit that is closer to it's sun on one end and stretches farther in another, resulting in the long winters and "long night."

You can say I am also using my imagination to form that opinion. Perhaps if you wanted to say that valyrian steel is actually beams of light (a.k.a. lightsabers) then you're venturing into the unknown. Additionally, the book world technology is that of a medieval level and the knowledge of it's people is of a medieval level. Astronomy, believe it or not, has come a long way and it is safe to assume that the medieval age people of the books may think of strange bright objects in the sky that leave long trails of light as "bleeding stars."

To not apply your own knowledge when you read is not thinking with your noggin.

Incorrect. Real world knowledge and understanding forms that imagination. For instance, why does this planet that the books take place on have such weird seasons?

Applying what I know of our own seasons and of the orbit of the Earth around the sun, I can deduce that whatever planet this is on has an elliptical orbit that is closer to it's sun on one end and stretches farther in another, resulting in the long winters and "long night."

You can say I am also using my imagination to form that opinion. Perhaps if you wanted to say that valyrian steel is actually beams of light (a.k.a. lightsabers) then you're venturing into the unknown. Additionally, the book world technology is that of a medieval level and the knowledge of it's people is of a medieval level. Astronomy, believe it or not, has come a long way and it is safe to assume that the medieval age people of the books may think of strange bright objects in the sky that leave long trails of light as "bleeding stars."

To not apply your own knowledge when you read is not thinking with your noggin.

See.. and here I was thinking the long erratic seasons were due to a much more (vs. Earth) unstable tilt of the axis of rotation. Ours wobbles too, but I think their much wobble pretty terribly and erratically. If it was just a large elliptic orbit then the season would be regularly timed. Plus hey, summer in the northern hemisphere is actually when the Earth is farthest from the Sun.

Haha.

I still think it's Jon though. :)

the ONLY 3 MAIN PRIME CANDIDATES to be the prince who was promised are as follows

(1) Prince Aegon Targaryen the 6th of his name.

(2) Queen Denaerys Targaryen

(3) Lord Commander Jon Snow

I'm gonna stop you right there. episode 10 pretty much confirmed that Bran is the Last Hero reborn. Whether or not TLH is also AAR and TPTWP I'm not certain but you can't say those 3 are the ONLY candidates.

Jon is the most heroic hero out of all the heroes in history. He is the embodiment of the hero archetype, he's Bilbo, Frodo, Luke Skywalker, and Odysseus all rolled into one. I like Dany but she hasn't done anything particularly heroic that I've seen. If Jon isn't AAR/TPtwP I would fall to pieces and die.

Obviously I'm embellishing a little but if there a true hero in ASoIaF, it's Jon.

See.. and here I was thinking the long erratic seasons were due to a much more (vs. Earth) unstable tilt of the axis of rotation. Ours wobbles too, but I think their much wobble pretty terribly and erratically. If it was just a large elliptic orbit then the season would be regularly timed. Plus hey, summer in the northern hemisphere is actually when the Earth is farthest from the Sun.

Haha.

I still think it's Jon though. :)

Whichever it is, the fact remains that there are real-world scientific explanations for things occurring the books that Aegon chooses to ignore.

Wiki is your evidence... Ok. So no actual evidence. Interesting

LN is Long Night

wikipedia isnt evidence it just says.

but i thought it rather obvious. all the books till now have had fighting for the iron throne making it one major storyline. throughout first book and by ending of 2nd book its apparent that the white walkers have returned and are making their way back to the lands of men and dany has always been a main character who has always more importance and a greater storyline than any other character so thats my own view but COINCIDENTALLY that is also what wikipedia says. one can argue that a character like jon snow in all books has also been there done that etc but hes never been on the eyes of everyone as much as dany.

I'm gonna stop you right there. episode 10 pretty much confirmed that Bran is the Last Hero reborn. Whether or not TLH is also AAR and TPTWP I'm not certain but you can't say those 3 are the ONLY candidates.

oh EPISODE 10. Oh we'll it came from the TV show and everyone knows the tv show is canon over the books. If you can give the passage from the books that has the proof that bran is TLH reborn then I'd be more inclined to believe you

Jon is the most heroic hero out of all the heroes in history. He is the embodiment of the hero archetype, he's Bilbo, Frodo, Luke Skywalker, and Odysseus all rolled into one. I like Dany but she hasn't done anything particularly heroic that I've seen. If Jon isn't AAR/TPtwP I would fall to pieces and die.

Obviously I'm embellishing a little but if there a true hero in ASoIaF, it's Jon.

Alright I'm far from a Dany fan but she did free a buttload of slaves

oh EPISODE 10. Oh we'll it came from the TV show and everyone knows the tv show is canon over the books. If you can give the passage from the books that has the proof that bran is TLH reborn then I'd be more inclined to believe you

you cannot ignore the show you know, D&D know how the story ends. If Bran is TLH in the show, then he will also be TLH in the books.

you cannot ignore the show you know, D&D know how the story ends. If Bran is TLH in the show, then he will also be TLH in the books.

I'm sorry, but how is Bran proven to be the last hero in the show?

Whichever it is, the fact remains that there are real-world scientific explanations for things occurring the books that Aegon chooses to ignore.

Yes, I think George tries to draw from the real world where ever he can. I don't think he particularly likes using "magic" to solve problems when it can be otherwise avoided.

Archived