The reforging of Ice

WidoW101MakeR

I honestly think if or when Brienne finds one of the Stark girls or When Davos finds Rickon, being the honest person she is Brienne will give Oathkeeper up seeing as it was their fathers sword and rightfully belongs to their family. I hope im right because i wanted someone to kill Tywin and rape his corpse when he said he had Ice reforged.

I didn't realize Ice was replaced I guess the lannisters can keep the knock off the real one was proboly returned to winter fell along with the fallen warriors bones

who said ice was replaced? did i miss that? it was with ned when he was arrested, wasn't it? can anyone provide a quote?

That poster misunderstood what someone else said about Ice being replaced. The Ice that was Ned Stark took to King's Landing with him, which Ilyn Payne used to take his head, and which was reforged was a Valyrian Steel blade the Starks have held for 400 years. THAT sword, however, was a replacement for the REAL Ice which predated it by millennia and which has been lost for hundreds if not thousands of years (the real Ice was also probably just a regular greatsword, and nowhere near as good as the Valyrian Steel Ice).

As for Ice, there’s no way it can be reforged, I think. BUT… wasn’t Brightroar, the Lannister Valyrian Steel sword, a greatsword, too? If so, it’d be ironic if it’s rediscovered and claimed by the Starks, who make it the new Ice. I have to say, I rather like that idea, that the Starks would not only reclaim the two swords which were forged from Ice but also lay claim to Brightroar, change out its pommel, and remake it into the new Ice. Then they'd have THREE Valyrian Steel blades while the Lannisters have none (Or four, assuming they hang onto Longclaw, although I think it'll eventually be returned to the Mormonts).

I also can't help but think that Widow's Wail might not be a perfect weapon for Arya to use. It's thinner than Oathkeeper, so it's lighter and lighter still because it's made of Valyrian Steel, so it should be pretty easy for her to handle once she's older. On top of which, the name "Widow's Wail", as another previous poster pointed out, could be viewed as a reference to her mother. It can also be a reference to the widow's of the men who Arya kills.

Tobho Mott was unable to make the blade completely red as Tywin wanted, and I doubt the red will go out now, so even if it was reforged, it would have red streaks in it as a constant reminder of what happened to Ice.

unless it was coloured black or something.

Tobho Mott was unable to make the blade completely red as Tywin wanted, and I doubt the red will go out now, so even if it was reforged, it would have red streaks in it as a constant reminder of what happened to Ice.

unless is really dificult for valyrian steel to maintain its color... it may clean itself from impurities when reforged.

It occurs to me, could the swords be considered a metaphor for Jon? The blades are grey and black, with the Targaryen red mixed in with the Stark grey.

"The colors are strange," he commented as he turned the blade in the sunlight. Most Valyrian steel was a grey so dark it looked almost black, as was true here as well. But blended into the folds was a red as deep as the grey. The two colors lapped over one another without ever touching, each ripple distinct, like waves of night and blood upon some steely shore.

Thanks (and to Tormund's beard). I didn't consider the reach idea. However, unless perfectly balanced, it seems a greatsword will still always be a split second slower than the shorter, lighter swords. I guess in the end it's a trade-off.

Nope. Using two hands makes it way faster than any one-handed sword. Unless you are talking daggers.

If Gendry the smith doesn't reforge Ice then the Chekov's Gun won't be fired.

I found this:

Gendry hung the tongs back up and took down the heavy hammer. “Master Mott said it was time I made my first longsword. He gave me a sweet piece of steel, and I knew just how I wanted to shape the blade. Only Yoren came, and took me away for the Night’s Watch.”

Mott needed to spell it almost a hundred times or something, so there's a chance that Gendry cannot do it (unless he was allowed to watch).

who said ice was replaced? did i miss that? it was with ned when he was arrested, wasn't it? can anyone provide a quote?

It wasnt replaced it was melted down and reforged into Widows Wail (for Joffrey) and Oathkeeper (for Jaime but he gave it to Brienne to help find the Stark girls).

Ice had its own beauty. It had been forged in Valyria, before the Doom had come to the old Freehold, when the ironsmiths had worked their metal with spells as well as hammers. Four hundred years old it was, and as sharp as the day it was forged. The name it bore was older still, a legacy from the age of heroes, when the Starks were Kings in the North.

So there was an Ice before the one we know about. My personal guess is that it was an Others sword, taken from the last Long Night.

Archived