Let's Say Robb Captured Tywin.

\

I say march on Casterly Rock and threaten to behead Tywin if the castellan doesn't open the gates. Once Robb has captured CR this way, the war is good as won. Robb would have all the gold of CR to hire as many sellswords as he wants, not to mention the psychological blow to Lannister prestige. The loss of CR and capture of Jaime and Tywin could force a few Lannister bannermen to switch sides and swear Robb their fealty as nobody loved Tywin, they all feared him and now would fear the man who managed to defeat the great Tywin(Not to mention Robb could offer them a great deal - for example the Lannisport Lannisters could get CR if they swear fealty).

I can imagine what orders Tyrion would be sending to the Castellan in that case. My view is that if Robb has captured Tywin, he should cash in his winnings at that point, rather than aiming for more.

I can imagine what orders Tyrion would be sending to the Castellan in that case. My view is that if Robb has captured Tywin, he should cash in his winnings at that point, rather than aiming for more.

True - however, with Tywin captured and CR fallen(assuming Robb is smart enough not to let any ravens reach CR with Tyrion's orders) Robb can truly win the war instead of negotiating a favorable peace. He can have all their heads - Cersei's Joffrey's, Tyrion's, Ser Kevan's. The Tyrells know a sinking ship when they see it - they won't be jumping in to save the Lannisters especially if Robb promises them that he will spare Tommen who can then marry Margaery thus putting a Tyrell on the IT.

Complete destruction of House Lannister and then peace with Tyrells sounds better than a favorable peace with the Lannisters

Robb probably would do that, but it would be much better to use Tywin and Jaime as bargaining counters to achieve his demands. On top of independence, Sansa's release, Joffrey's surrender, the release without ransom of all Northern prisoners, I'd look for territorial concessions, to help secure the Riverlands, in return for the surrender of Tywin and Jaime.

Well he could hold Tywin as hostage but releasing or returning him is worse than letting a lion out of its cage. He would probably spend all the gold he can to serve sword and fire on the North. There is no man equal to Tywin in westeros when it comes to vengence .Killing him ensures no backlash and Casterly rock falls to pieces .Capturing Tywin would also mean his vast host is defeated or scattered and there is nothing to stop Robb. And finally the North would want revenge for their sons as well as the Riverlands which were burnt by Clegane on Tywins orders. Eliminating Tywin will also cause disruption between the Tyrells and Lannister's as we have saw in AFfC.

Actually the possibilities are endless. Capturing Tywin is like the having a Royal Flush .Victory is Robb's.

If Catelyn managed to get through to Robb then Robb would ransom Tywin for independence and basically win his war. If Catelyn didn't get through they would probably have killed Tywin and eventually lost the war to the Lannister-Tyrell alliance.

If Catelyn managed to get through to Robb then Robb would ransom Tywin for independence and basically win his war. If Catelyn didn't get through they would probably have killed Tywin and eventually lost the war to the Lannister-Tyrell alliance.

Lannister? Wait will they exist after that? Don't overestimate that alliance seriously.

I think this is an interesting scenario. If Tywin is captured after the Blackwater I think the outcome depends entirely on Robb and the advice he receives from those close to him. I think at this point the Vale has to enter the war on Robb's side. We learned that the lords of the Vale wanted to enter on Robb's side much earlier, and were on the brink of rebellion over Lysa's failure to help her nephew. If Robb wins yet another victory, and has both Jaime and Tywin in his dungeons, the Vale will finally come in. I think Robb can pretty safely get away with being king in the north and the trident, but I think it's reasonable to forge an even larger kingdom now, one comprising the north, the riverlands, the vale, and the westerlands.

By this point the northmen are already ravaging the Westerlands, with Castamere and the Crag already captured. If Robb is wise enough to leave King's Landing and the crowlands alone, Cersei and Joff will self-destruct on their own. With an army from the Vale joining the fold, there's no reason why Lannisport can't be sacked and Casterly Rock captured.

Frey and Bolton would not dare betray Robb in these circumstances, and even the Reach is quite weary of directly challenging Robb. King Robb Stark is sitting quite pretty in this scenario.

Tywin being captured means no Red Wedding. Depending on how far back it happens (this needs to be established), Robb may not even break his Frey contract in the first place, but even if he does he's not in a position where he needs to apologize to Old Man Walder and offer Edmure as a consolation prize (and without Edmure's folly Edmure couldn't even be guilt tripped into going along with that consolation wedding, anyway). The show of strength in capturing Tywin also COULD mean Bolton is intimidated into remaining nominally loyal (although Theon's capture of Winterfell still gives him a bit of an opening for his own gamesmanship).

I ask this because my first thought was about Arya, as at minimum Robb's terms to the Iron Throne are going to be "Northern Independence + Return of Sansa and Arya". Which the crown can't agree to, of course, because they don't have Arya. The further back Tywin's capture occurs, the more it mucks with the original sequence of events involving Sandor tendering his resignation at court and finding Arya on the road. Without the Red Wedding, Arya and Sandor could seemingly rendezvous with King Robb easily, and now Robb's bargaining position is even better. But if Tywin is captured early enough, Robb and Cat and Edmure aren't at The Twins for Sandor and Arya to meet up with them in the first place.

What happens with Arya in this scenario makes a big difference in what Robb does in this scenario.

Archived