Randyll Tarly (Possible Minor ADWD Spoilers)

There are many background characters in the books and a lot of them a given varying amounts of exposition, however there aren't that many in the first book. Most occasions when Martin gives his descriptions of said characters only a few are given lengthy and repeated mentions. One of these characters is Randyll Tarly.

Now, most of this can be attributed to tell Sam's history but there are a couple of things that stick out about the Tarly family in particular.

• Randyll has advanced his position significantly over the course of the series. He has gone from Tyrell bannerman to Master of Laws and Kevan Lannister wanted to promote him to Hand of the King. He is a respected commander and has a strong force of men.

• He also has a Valyrian Steel blade named Heartsbane. Only 2 other Valyrian Steel blades are given any prominence in AGOT and they are Ice and Longclaw. All 3 blades have been in all 3 families for 500 years (until Longclaw is given to Jon by LC Mormont).

I'm not sure if i'm reading too much into it, but it seems that GRRM is more specific on certain events that have significance in AGOT than the last 4 books. Most of the R+L=J in AGOT only makes sense after ASOS, however it is there a lot in the first book. I believe that this is the case for Randyll Tarly. That Heartsbane will play a bigger part and that Randyll will become an even more powerful character in TWOW.

Not sure if it has been discussed but are there any thoughts on his potential involvement in the bigger picture or am I over-reading a background player??

Any Thoughts??

I agree that Randyll will probably have a bigger role in TWOW, but I don't think it would be that big. There are numerous players right now that have far more to contribute to the story than he does at the moment. I'm not sure about the Valyrian steel sword part: if any sword has been given prominence apart from Ice and Longclaw, it's Dawn.

If the wall falls and the NW disbands Sam would be free of his vows. However quite a long shot for Randyll to let him arrive back on the scene.

Would be interesting if a very unlikely series of events came about where Randyll or Dickon sits the throne, the NW disbands and whoever sits the Thrones dies. King Samwell Tarly!!! (Highly Unlikely)

If the Tyrells fully move against (F)Aegon, expect Randyll Tarly to be leading the charge. If they defect to the kid's side, Randyll could instead particpate in subjugating the remaining Lannisters.

While I don't think he will have a massive indivudal impact on the endgame of the series, I agree that Randyll's position, personality, and skills set give him a tremendous amount of potential for southron intrigue over the last two books.

I think that if Randyll has significance it'll be to further Sam's narrative, because Sam is going to step up to further prominence. It's also of minor interest that the TV series producers hijacked that very powerful, chilling scene in GoT of Randyll disowning Sam while skinning a deer, transposing it to Tywin in conversation with Tyrion; we all know how that story plays out, which perhaps prefigures something of the Randyll-Samwell relationship.

I think that if Randyll has significance it'll be to further Sam's narrative, because Sam is going to step up to further prominence. It's also of minor interest that the TV series producers hijacked that very powerful, chilling scene in GoT of Randyll disowning Sam while skinning a deer, transposing it to Tywin in conversation with Tyrion; we all know how that story plays out, which perhaps prefigures something of the Randyll-Samwell relationship.

I agree totally. What will happen when Randyll hears Sam's wife and child have arrived at Horn Hill? I can see Sam and Randyll will meet before Sam is done in Oldtown.

I agree totally. What will happen when Randyll hears Sam's wife and child have arrived at Horn Hill? I can see Sam and Randyll will meet before Sam is done in Oldtown.

I forget, when Lord Puff Fish moved his troops back into KL to spring his daughter free, was Randyll there as well? I think he was.

That would make it quite unlikely that Randyll will move towards Oldtown, as Aegon and the GC have landed in the Stormlands. If anything I think Randyll will have to deal with Aegon in WoW. Either by joining him against the Tyrells, or by fighting them.

Ser Piggy will be our POV for the fighting between the Hightowers and Euron's Ironborn I think.

I forget, when Lord Puff Fish moved his troops back into KL to spring his daughter free, was Randyll there as well? I think he was.

He was. In fact I think he reached King's Landing before Mace did. He's now serving as Justicar.

I thinks Margeary is going to be found guilty and the septon may view the "epilogue events" at the end of Dance as the Tyrells trying to silence "the whitness". The Tyrells will move in to protect Margeary when the verdict is in and this will be a huge uproar. Aegon arrival may see some Tyrell bannermen including Tarly have a "decision" to make.

I agree that Randyll will probably have a bigger role in TWOW, but I don't think it would be that big. There are numerous players right now that have far more to contribute to the story than he does at the moment. I'm not sure about the Valyrian steel sword part: if any sword has been given prominence apart from Ice and Longclaw, it's Dawn.

I think Randyll is sick of playing second fiddle to the oaf Mace Tyrell, and I think he's actively plotting against him. I have little doubt that Randyll loathes Mace Tyrell.

I think Randyll is sick of playing second fiddle to the oaf Mace Tyrell, and I think he's actively plotting against him. I have little doubt that Randyll loathes Mace Tyrell.

I could definitely see Randall betraying the Tyrell's and going over to Aegon in exchange to be the Lord paramount of the Reach and on the small council.

I hope he dies. Painfully.

I'm sure he's an epic soldier, but I can't get past the fact he would have killed his son because he was overweight and liked books better than swords.

Not to mention the rather rude way he treated Brienne.

• He also has a Valyrian Steel blade named Heartsbane. Only 2 other Valyrian Steel blades are given any prominence in AGOT and they are Ice and Longclaw. All 3 blades have been in all 3 families for 500 years (until Longclaw is given to Jon by LC Mormont).

Any Thoughts??

I think there's way too much emphasis on Valyrian steel weapons. There are a couple-hundred in Westeros but fewer than a half-dozen are prominent. Longclaw didn't protect Jon from the plotters. Ice was re-made as two swords.

I do see Lord Randyll making a move on his own. He'll have short-term success but will wind up failing, and dead.

Rudeness always justifies a painful death, of course.

Wuh? that was in a post I'd quoted, not necessarily agreed with. On the whole, Randyll probably deserves to die, but being a jerk in Westeros seems to be a feature, not a bug.

Archived