Swords are a loser's weapon

BondJamesBond

I would seriously make the argument that spears are always more useful than swords: on a long march they make handy walking sticks, stuck in the ground point first you have a pole, three spears held together with cord makes an instant tripod to hang small game, two spears longwise wrapped in a cloak or tunic are an instant stretcher.

In combat, the spear can be a medium range missile weapon if thrown, or can be used in close quarter combat to provide a reach advantage over a sword, a spear can also be used as a quarterstaff if lethality isn't required.

On top of that, the spear is lighter and far cheaper than the sword.

You forgot to mention the immense style, that comes from fighting with a spear. I mean just look at Grey Worm in the 'Rains of Castamere' episode, there's some mighty epic spear fighting going on.

Be careful when you say always in military matters, if you throw the spear and miss your fucked try and pick it up with a sword in your face. Also its easy to deal with a spear with a sword, wait for the moment for the spearmen to overextend and cut the spearhead right off the shaft simple as that your weapon is gone and your dead. Spearmen overextend all the time its a key weakness to their fighting strategy. Cant break of the point of sword though. Other than that in matters of practicality such as weight and extra uses your right. Id consider spears better tools not weapons. The Best swordsmen will always beat the best spearmen IMO atleast but ive been surprised before.

Put a wooden broom handle (or shovel handle) on the block. Go at it with an axe. It won't work. And it will work worse if you're trying to cut it while somebody holds it instead of it being fixed to the block. This ain't Star Wars, these aren't lightsabers and wood is terribly durable if hit.

Or better yet, don't. The risk of injuring yourself is high.

And yes, spears were a very good weapon. A polearm was better, but not much.

By the way, swords are sidearms, not main weapons.

Davos is the most prominent smuggler in the book, that'd make him Han Solo... Who'd be Chewbacca?

Shireen? If we're going Star Wars though, Cersei and Jaime are definitely Leia and Luke.

Nah it has to be Stannis i mean he already has the noises with the teeth grinding

Tywin is clearly the Emperor right?

Ironically, I see Stannis as very similar to Darth Vader. Can't you just picture Stannis saying "I find your lack of faith disturbing", then proceed to choke out a Florent or someone. Not that Stannis is a villian, just more along the lines of badassery and iron will.

Archived