Will the Others get past the Wall?

Basically the title of the post. Will they, can they, will The Wall fall etc?

I think the only way they can get past is if The Wall is brought down. I can vaguely remember someone having a dream about fighting the Others in the Seven Kingdoms, so that insinuates that they get past The Wall, but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts?

Daenerys dreams of fighting an army armoured in ice on the Trident, where she is Rhaegar and is fighting on the back of a dragon. Jon dreams of fighting alone on the Wall, armoured in ice, and armed with a flaming sword, whilst the dead crawl up the Wall, and one of them is Ygritte.

Targaryens in the past have been known to have 'dragon dreams' which are metaphorical prophetic visions. However, these dreams could also simply be latent hopes and fears of Daenerys and Jon's manifesting themselves in their subconscious like will happen with any human being, and the series often stresses how visions and prophecies are very unreliable.

I don't know how will they manage, but I hope they do breach the Wall. As of DWD, whole NW storyline lacks suspense - we're told that NW exists for 8000 for sole purpose of defending against Others, Others are set as main anti-humanity antagonists, but for five books they didn't do anything important - the worst they did was to attack some wildlings and NW brothers off-screen.

It'd make more suspenseful story if we, the readers, are reminded how dangerous Others can be, and breaching the Wall is a good way to do it.

I'm with Knight of Winter. To me, the Others have to go south of the Wall, for plot reasons if nothing else. The Others and the Wall are the first thing we see in the books, so one might think they'll matter a lot in the bigger picture, and that wouldn't happen if they're forever trapped in the land of always winter.

And the only way I can see them going south is if the Wall falls down, which I strongly think will happen by the end of Winds of Winter. There's a strong case for the Horn of Joramun not having been found yet, and it has been talked about too much for it not to be eventually found and used (though if it's an actual horn or a metaphorical one, remains to be seen).

First post! :cheers: Hope the WW get past the wall! Really want to see an epic battle going on..... Widlings, giants, direwolves, CotF, humans and dragons vs WW, wights, ice spiders, cold and darkness! Might put a bit of perspective on squabbling over a chair. Not sure I want to see the Wall fall though, simply because it would be a right kick in the teeth if they needed to rebuild it again.

I'm with Knight of Winter. To me, the Others have to go south of the Wall, for plot reasons if nothing else. The Others and the Wall are the first thing we see in the books, so one might think they'll matter a lot in the bigger picture, and that wouldn't happen if they're forever trapped in the land of always winter.

And the only way I can see them going south is if the Wall falls down, which I strongly think will happen by the end of Winds of Winter. There's a strong case for the Horn of Joramun not having been found yet, and it has been talked about too much for it not to be eventually found and used (though if it's an actual horn or a metaphorical one, remains to be seen).

I agree and I think there are basically two possibilities for the Horn of Joramun:

1) Sam Tarly found it - compelling if not for the fact that it, with him, is about as far from the Wall as you can get.

2) It was in the crypts of Winterfell and Mance found it.

Either way, though, I am on record as willing to eat my hat if ASoIaF ends with the Wall still standing and the Others being stopped before they make it to at least Harrenhal.

Absolutely, it has to come down, or the entire Others thing was a complete waste of time. Here's another question though, if the Wall comes down, will the Night's Watch be disbanded? What purpose would it serve once the Wall falls?

It will be rebuilt, obviously after ADoS people will realize how much of a threat the Others are and put a lot of resources into making sure it never happens again.

It will be rebuilt, obviously after ADoS people will realize how much of a threat the Others are and put a lot of resources into making sure it never happens again.

Unless the Others are somehow permanently defeated or made peace with in some manner. But I was talking about in the short term. The Others and their undead army breach the wall, is the Night's Watch disbanded at that point in time? There probably wouldn't be many left anyways.

Absolutely, it has to come down, or the entire Others thing was a complete waste of time. Here's another question though, if the Wall comes down, will the Night's Watch be disbanded? What purpose would it serve once the Wall falls?

Well, the Night's Watch was founded before the Wall was built. So even if the Wall not there, the Night's Watch will still exist.

If the Wall comes down, it's unlikely there'll be a NW left to disband!

I never got it why do people think that if wall falls the NW will disband. When a castle wall falls, does the defending army disband? NW is there to fight the others not to sit on the wall.

I like to believe Sam has the horn. The whole thing with it being with the dragonglass daggers, which might have been there just to make sure the others couldn't touch the horn. Plus he sells everything in Braavos EXCEPT the horn. It's not in-your-face obvious, so I think it's at least more than likely that is the horn of Winter.

Also, (considering I believe the Horn is down in Oldtown and not accessible to the Others) I wonder why don't the Others just sail around the Wall? They seem intelligent, and George has said that they are masters of ice-crafting. Why not just make a boat? Or is that too much?

Archived