The size of Stannis' frozen host.

BaseBornBastard

Just wondering, does anyone know how big Stannis' host outside Winterfell is? I checked the wiki but it only says a few thousand, which isn't very specific. I know he has 3000 Northern tribesmen, the Glovers, the Mormonts and half the Umbers. I would say the Karstarks but there not really his. So what ballpark figure would this all amount to?

In his letter to Jon after conquest of Deepwood's Motte, Stannis tells him his host is 5000 strong and swelling every day by survirors of battle of WF, Northern soldiers in service to various Lords...

Of course, some of them died or deserted by the time Stan reaches Winterfell, but I think 5000-6000 is safe assumption for size of Stan's host.

Far less, max 5000. The Frey host is 1,500 and coming on them separatly, I can't imagine Stannis' army to be that much bigger. Actually I would go for 3000.

Even if you forget about his own men, the other Northerners who have joined him etc and just add Stannis and the Tribesmen you get 3001 :)

Even if you forget about his own men, the other Northerners who have joined him etc and just add Stannis and the Tribesmen you get 3001 :)

I thought some of them left after the taking of Deepwood Motte. But yeah I'm probably wrong, I made my assumption thinking Stannis' army was far weaker than Boltons but apparently it doesn't look that bad. And Frey host is 2000 strong, still don't get how they get it in their head to go at it alone, especially remembering their cowardice nature.

I thought some of them left after the taking of Deepwood Motte. But yeah I'm probably wrong, I made my assumption thinking Stannis' army was far weaker than Boltons but apparently it doesn't look that bad. And Frey host is 2000 strong, still don't get how they get it in their head to go at it alone, especially remembering their cowardice nature.

Roose ordered them to go out on their own, with Manderlys forces. Basically Roose was just getting rid of annoying allies and hoping they could do his enemy some damage at the same time

I think were looking at about a 2-3000 difference between the two armies

It really seems hopeless in any case. How many leal Bolton soldiers are inside WF? Many and more?

About 4000 id think. Rooses problem is his "allies" are all suspect. In battle hes risking one of his wings turning against him, a knife in the back etc etc

All right, thanks. I am re-reading DWD right now and have just a few relevant chapters left of the North but it really feels like Winterfell is screwed nearly as bad as Stannis' host.

Indeed so - they're both screwed.

Stannis' army is half-frozen and half-starved, with little food reserves, with some dying and deserting soldiers preparing to attack well-provisioned and fortified castle

Much of Bolton's forces are disloyal and actively plotting against him, with many others possibly abandoning him as soon as Stark boys reappear. His troops openly fight and despise each other (Northerners vs Freys) and all despise his no.2. - Ramsay. In addition, someone has been randomly killing soldiers in Winterfell, which can't be good for everyone's morale.

All right, thanks. I am re-reading DWD right now and have just a few relevant chapters left of the North but it really feels like Winterfell is screwed nearly as bad as Stannis' host.

I think food would be a big problem for such a large number of men, but they are in a better position then Stannis to combat the Winter

I think food would be a big problem for such a large number of men, but they are in a better position then Stannis to combat the Winter

I'd add an 'if' to that - if the supplies from Manderly at Winterfell can be trusted. I seem to remember a big point was made of the amount of food that came with Manderly.

I'd add an 'if' to that - if the supplies from Manderly at Winterfell can be trusted. I seem to remember a big point was made of the amount of food that came with Manderly.

Interesting thought. I would have thought though that the supplies, if bad, would already have started having an effect on the Bolton men

Archived