Mance Rayder: A little bit of crackpottery that has me Convinced

Jon Tarstark

Presumably it would have been Robert putting his head on a pike for everyone to see. But that never happened. None of his followers are said to have tried to get his body nor none of his enemies to destroy it. When Robb and Cat die they're bodies get treated horribly. You dont think Robert would have done that to Rhaegar?

Didnt even think about that when Aemon said about TPTWP. They must have been in contact over the time of the war.

I always wondered why Robert didn't give Rhaegar the Hector treatment. I can see a situation where Rhaegar's supporters witness Robert kill him and in a frenzy of grief they rush over and surround his body, thus preventing a severely wounded Robert from wreaking any more vengeance.

I always wondered why Robert didn't give Rhaegar the Hector treatment. I can see a situation where Rhaegar's supporters witness Robert kill him and in a frenzy of grief they rush over and surround his body, thus preventing a severely wounded Robert from wreaking any more vengeance.

Do you think Robert would have stopped for anyone after all that time looking for him and in the heat and with the adrenaline of battle?

The battle was over, they would have laid down their swords or died.

I think it's mentioned that when the Targ army men saw Rhaegar die, they lost hope and fled.

I think it's mentioned that when the Targ army men saw Rhaegar die, they lost hope and fled.

I trust your recollection more than my own. If Rhaegar's men did flee, it does make you wonder why Robert didn't desecrate Rhaegar's body.

I trust your recollection more than my own. If Rhaegar's men did flee, it does make you wonder why Robert didn't desecrate Rhaegar's body.

After Rhaegar died, and his rubies went flying in the Ford, men of both armies crowded around to see of they could get some rubies, so Robert might not have had a chance to desecrate Rhaegar's body in the crowd. Also Ned and Jon probably wouldn't have allowed Robert to desecrate the body, also Rhaegar's body was burned, a Targ tradition, I think that it was Jon Arryn who commanded the men to do it, so he'd have probably kept the body safe.

• Rheagar had seven rubies on his armour. Six washed up on the Quiet Isle. One has never been found.

This is the only part that isn't far-fetched to me, simply because we know already that it has happened. But I think it's a reference to the fact that Aerys II and Rhaella have had seven descendants only one of them still hasn't been found. It's not meant to mean that the rubies were magical. I also don't think that this will be explained, it's simply a nice literary trick being used by GRRM because talented authors do these things. :)

Consider:

Aerys and Rhaella had three children:

Rhaegar, Viserys and Daenerys.

That makes 3 people born of Aerys II and Rhaella's line.

Rhaegar and Elia had two children:

Rhaenys and Aegon

That makes five.

Daenerys and Khal Drogo had one child:

Rhaego

That makes six.

Who is the seventh? Unless you're someone who for some reason is unfamiliar with (or not convinced by) the most prominent theory surrounding the series, then Rhaegar had a child with Lyanna:

Jon.

That makes seven, although no one has found the seventh ruby yet. It's sad to note that five of the seven have since died. :(

Here is the "Rhaegar's Rubies" theory explained. A few of us pieced it together over a couple of R+L=J threads. 42 and 43.

ETA: Here is the first post that marks the beginning of the "ruby" discussion. It continues over the last few pages of the thread, and into the next.

Here is the post that pieces together the 6 rubies = 6 known Targaryen's from A+R's line by MarinaC, who has only posted one time. What a post!

After Rhaegar died, and his rubies went flying in the Ford, men of both armies crowded around to see of they could get some rubies, so Robert might not have had a chance to desecrate Rhaegar's body in the crowd. Also Ned and Jon probably wouldn't have allowed Robert to desecrate the body, also Rhaegar's body was burned, a Targ tradition, I think that it was Jon Arryn who commanded the men to do it, so he'd have probably kept the body safe.

Good point.

Archived