Why did Bloodraven and Bittersteel keep Bastard names.

Ser Uncle P

When Tommen removes Ramsey Snow's "taint of bastardy" he also declares the Bastard to be a Bolton now. Likewise Stannis proposes to decree Jon Stark in place of Jon Snow.

Anyone wonder why we never see Bloodraven and Bittersteel dubbed Brynden Targaryen or Aegor Targaryen?

Their half brother Daemon chose his house name once made legit but the others are only known as "Rivers" apart from their nicknames.

Is it only in the extreme case of the bastard son being the last (known) heir, like in Jon and Ramsey's case. After all Aegon IV had Daereon II and his 4 sons to carry on his lineage ( assuming he was Daeron's father etc)

Despite what fat Aegon did by legitimizing them, the world, Westeros, never allowed them to forget who they were and therefore in the records, they all still have their bastard names. This might be Jon Snow's fate as well, but since he'll probably be integral in saving the world...doubtful. Good thread. It's interesting.

Ramsay had to do some pretty awful deeds to keep this name. "Never call him that! Ramsay Bolton, not Ramsay Snow, never Snow, never, you have to remember his name, or he will hurt you."

I doubt that Bloodraven and Bittersteelare capable of anything as such.

I think it was because if they did then they would be in line to be ruler of their house being a legitimate Targ (and Blackfyre). So Bloodraven didn't want to be a legitimised Targ because he didn't want to threaten Daeron's claim to the throne, or have people think he was a threat to him. The same with Bittersteel, as he was loyal to Daemon, and fought for him to be King, not himself.

True. Also neither Rivers was popular, Brynden had a Sauron-esque reputation as Hand, while Aegor would only have been loved by Blackfyre die hards.

In Daemon's case, his memory would have been the stuff of dreamers and singers, and was obviously respected by his enemies for chivalry and prowess, so Daemon wasn't going to be remembered as Waters.

Brynden Rivers and Aegor Rivers were bastards born from lowborn mothers and therefore had no claim.

Both of them were still born the noble mothers, thus they weren't lowborn.

Considering Brynden Rivers supported the Targaryens, he basically denied his legitimization.

Aegor Rivers though, I kind of wonder why he never took the name Blackfyre, he was fighting for their cause and was the brother of the first Blackfyre.

Considering Brynden Rivers supported the Targaryens, he basically denied his legitimization.

Aegor Rivers though, I kind of wonder why he never took the name Blackfyre, he was fighting for their cause and was the brother of the first Blackfyre.

Daemon was the oldest and was the one actually handed the Blackfyre sword.

True. Also neither Rivers was popular, Brynden had a Sauron-esque reputation as Hand, while Aegor would only have been loved by Blackfyre die hards.

In Daemon's case, his memory would have been the stuff of dreamers and singers, and was obviously respected by his enemies for chivalry and prowess, so Daemon wasn't going to be remembered as Waters.

Daemon was a legend and beloved by virtually everyone it seems, but it seems a hundred years of Targaryen propaganda has ruined even his reputation. Bittersteel despite his lack of warmth and constant anger seemed popular enough himself. He was respected and appreciated as a great knight. It's only propaganda that seems to have changed the current perception of him.

This point has always annoyed me theres no logical reason they wouldn't be named Targ after their father legitmised them or taken up house names like Blackfyre did Hell BR could have named his house "Dark Sister" after his sword.BR annoys me generally,why call a Targ bastard Brynden,what no more Targ family names left when he was born?

This point has always annoyed me theres no logical reason they wouldn't be named Targ after their father legitmised them or taken up house names like Blackfyre did Hell BR could have named his house "Dark Sister" after his sword.BR annoys me generally,why call a Targ bastard Brynden,what no more Targ family names left when he was born?

Dark Sister would be a lame last name, nor was he likely given that sword by Aegon IV. Moreover, he was probably called Brynden as that is a Riverlands name and that is where is mother was from and Aegon probably didn't care all that much about what his children were called.

Daemon was the oldest and was the one actually handed the Blackfyre sword.

So, why couldn't Aegor take the name as well? They were blood brothers and Aegor was fighting for their cause.

So, why couldn't Aegor take the name as well? They were blood brothers and Aegor was fighting for their cause.

I am not sure, but Bittersteel never tried to steal the throne from his brothers sons. He promised to put a son of Aegon on the Iron Throne and it seems he is finally about to do it. I think he considered the Blackfyres the true royal family and wanted to differentiate from them.

I am not sure, but Bittersteel never tried to steal the throne from his brothers sons. He promised to put a son of Aegon on the Iron Throne and it seems he is finally about to do it. I think he considered the Blackfyres the true royal family and wanted to differentiate from them.

Or he took the opposite side of Bloodraven just to spite him.

Or he took the opposite side of Bloodraven just to spite him.

I doubt it. Bittersteel was instrumental in making Daemon rebel and I imagine that Bloodraven loved Daemon too. Bittersteel seems to have been angry with being a bastard and Daemon felt the same. Daemon had a good claim and Bittersteel probably disliked Daeron.

I believe Aegor was angry at Bloodraven for taking Shiera Seastar away from him.

There's a quote somewhere

"Bloodraven and Bittersteel both loved the same woman and the realm bled for it" something along those lines.

Archived