Possibilities in Bran chapters in TWOW

In AGoT, Ned visits the godswood in King’s Landing to meet with Cersei so the gods will witness their discussion. Before Cersei arrives, Ned reveals that even though an oak tree replaces the weirwood, he still feels the presence of his gods. The pain in his leg lessens as well once he is beneath the tree. I wonder if Bran will be able to see visions of the past and present without the eyes of an ancient weirwood, especially since he is an exceptional greenseer with powers never before realized by other greenseers.

For example, Osha asserts that the old gods send the wind to answer Bran’s prayers: “A faint wind sighed through the godswood and the red leaves stirred and whispered” (AGoT 577). Osha goes on to specify: “They hear you talking. That rustling, that’s them talking back” (577). So, if Bran is part of the godhood that sends the winds, this godhood may command other aspects of nature and the four elements. Bran may be able to travel through the network of root systems so that he can “hear” if not see via other trees or vegetation. Maybe he will “see” or “hear” Lyanna through the winter roses we hear so much about. I know my idea is crackpot; however, we do not know as yet the extent of his greenseeing gifts.

I wonder if Bran will be able to see visions of the past and present without the eyes of an ancient weirwood, especially since he is an exceptional greenseer with powers never before realized by other greenseers.

Yes, he will. BR told him as much after his first journey through the trees (emphasis added):

“Once you have mastered your gifts, you may look where you will and see what the trees have seen, be it yesterday or last year or a thousand ages past. Men live their lives trapped in an eternal present, between the mists of memory and the sea of shadow that is all we know of the days to come. Certain moths live their whole lives in a day, yet to them that little span of time must seem as long as years and decades do to us. An oak may live three hundred years, a redwood tree three thousand. A weirwood will live forever if left undisturbed. To them seasons pass in the flutter of a moth’s wing, and past, present, and future are one. Nor will your sight be limited to your godswood. The singers carved eyes into their heart trees to awaken them, and those are the first eyes a new greenseer learns to use … but in time you will see well beyond the trees themselves.”

Bran seems to be a fast learner and gifted with great power. His first trip to the trees is followed by a very powerful tree-dream. As THE Greenseer, I think that Bran can (or will learn to) see--in order of ease-- through:

• Weirwoods in a godswood with a carved face
  • Weirwoods in a godswood without a carved face
  • Other trees in a godswood with a carved face
  • Weirwoods NOT in a godswood with a carved face
  • Weirwoods NOT in a godswood without a carved face
  • Other trees in a godswood without a carved face
  • Other trees NOT in a godswood without a carved face
  • Stones in a godswood
  • Streams in a godswood
  • Stones NOT in a godswood
  • Streams NOT in a godswood

I included stones and streams based on the CotF and Wilding comments. Here are a couple (emphasis added)

“Where are the rest of you?” Bran asked Leaf, once.

“Gone down into the earth,” she answered. “Into the stones, into the trees..."

Years later he had tried to find his parents, to tell them that their Lump had become the great Varamyr Sixskins, but both of them were dead and burned. Gone into the trees and streams, gone into the rocks and earth. Gone to dirt and ashes. That was what the woods witch told his mother, the day Bump died. Lump

In addition to seeing through trees, streams and stone, Bran has and will be able to talk to people in their dreams and through a weirwood in a godswood with a carved face.

Yes, he will. BR told him as much after his first journey through the trees (emphasis added):

Bran seems to be a fast learner and gifted with great power. His first trip to the trees is followed by a very powerful tree-dream. As THE Greenseer, I think that Bran can (or will learn to) see--in order of ease-- through:

• Weirwoods in a godswood with a carved face
  • Weirwoods in a godswood without a carved face
  • Other trees in a godswood with a carved face
  • Weirwoods NOT in a godswood with a carved face
  • Weirwoods NOT in a godswood without a carved face
  • Other trees in a godswood without a carved face
  • Other trees NOT in a godswood without a carved face
  • Stones in a godswood
  • Streams in a godswood
  • Stones NOT in a godswood
  • Streams NOT in a godswood

I included stones and streams based on the CotF and Wilding comments. Here are a couple (emphasis added)

In addition to seeing through trees, streams and stone, Bran has and will be able to talk to people in their dreams and through a weirwood in a godswood with a carved face.

If he can see through stones and streams, why not through mortals?

Very likely... if he have any chapter.

Bran know too much to be a POV... unhappily.

Think about it like this. Bran was supposed to be well into his greenseer training back when the five year gap was in place. Do you expect him to have no chapters at all in the second trilogy GRRM planned? No, he's going to have chapters. Even if there aren't much of them, and his story isn't over.

Think about it like this. Bran was supposed to be well into his greenseer training back when the five year gap was in place. Do you expect him to have no chapters at all in the second trilogy GRRM planned? No, he's going to have chapters. Even if there aren't much of them, and his story isn't over.

I was talking only about TWOW... he'd have chapters in ADOS.

I was talking only about TWOW... he'd have chapters in ADOS.

I don't know. But if this does happen we should get a substantial number of Bran chapters (as in, not just 3) in the book to make up for it. And make them take the story forward, no more sitting around doing nothing (which occupies most of Bran's POVs in the series).

Hopefully the last book will focus on the original 8 (now 6, after Cat and Ned died). Bran, Arya, Sansa, Jon, Dany and Tyrion should be at the forefront of the finale. God, GRRM needs to kill off POVs fast if he wants to finish in ADOS.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't think that Howland Reed know too much. The guy lives in a swamp. But I agree with you: Bran, Varys and Littlefinger know too much to have POVs or too much POVs.

Howland Reed is the last living person who witnessed the events at the Tower of Joy. Considering how many theories could be answered by what he saw there, I'd say that he knows a great deal. He isn't just some bumpkin that squats in a swamp.

I still believe strongly that he'll return to Winterfell (somehow). He's still the legitimate Lord of Winterfell all the time he's living. Many people believe Rickon will take on that role but surely all the time Bran is alive and well, he'll be illegitimate. Bloodraven lived a full mortal life before retreating to the Weirwood to prolong his existence, there's no reason Bran couldn't do the same

I agree with you - he won't be stuck in a weirwood tree like the Three-Eyed-Crow. BloodRaven did this to preserve himself to live long enough for Bran.

And remember BR last words to Bran are that he will fly and I believe it will be on an Ice Dragon. Bran, IMO will be either be the Warden of the North or King in the North.

[...]Bran, IMO will be either be the Warden of the North or King in the North.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who believes this. Bran went through an extensive training regime (we see this in the show when he's asked to recite all the Houses and their words) he's being groomed into the job.

• 2 weeks later...

This is so interesting as it will be a way for us to piece together the history of the realm.

I wonder if all of what Bran sees will be related to us like visions where we are not certain who the subjects are, or as Bran gets to know more the subjects and thus the events seen will be clearer?

Archived