Police abuse and citizens

The cop will like it that someone appreciated him also. It will encourage him to do the same again. It's a joy to hear a citizen that actually appreciated what you did from time to time. Imagine what happens to some cops that for years are constantly told how horrible they are by the public they serve. That could be a piece of the bad cop puzzle.

SS the cop may have went out a limb for you more then you might think. Some states have mandatory, immediate reporting laws for missing persons (even adults). He might have actually been violating a state statute by keeping it, "off the record", for a while.

Thanks for coming here and reporting a positive interaction.

I've considered writing a letter to his supervisor, but...

SS the cop may have went out a limb for you more then you might think. Some states have mandatory, immediate reporting laws for missing persons (even adults). He might have actually been violating a state statute by keeping it, "off the record", for a while.

Thanks for coming here and reporting a positive interaction.

...this too I've already considered. I do not think it is a statute here to report immediately as the dispatcher even asked if I wanted to file the report right away or wait, but I don't know the statutes and I don't want to get the officer in trouble. Either way it would have been easier for him to file the report and not help me search around. He could have gone back to something else and waited for something to come in.

I've considered writing a letter to his supervisor, but...

...this too I've already considered. I do not think it is a statute here to report immediately as the dispatcher even asked if I wanted to file the report right away or wait, but I don't know the statutes and I don't want to get the officer in trouble. Either way it would have been easier for him to file the report and not help me search around. He could have gone back to something else and waited for something to come in.

Go ahead and report it please! Don't let my statement scare you off. Just report in general terms that he helped you locate your father and he was professional about it. Leave out the, "off the record", part. Keep it simple.

eta: What state are you in I don't recall.

Archived