[BOOK SPOILERS] The implications of Robb's pregnant wife on the show

jenerationx

Sorry if this has been covered in more depth... The threads I found sort of about this did not have much to recommend them.

Jeyne/Talisa dies on the show, which to me puts an end to the speculation of if Jeyne is pregnant. Even if GRRM doesn't have ultimate control of the show, he's shared a lot of info with the show runners, so I have to believe that if Robb had a possible heir, they wouldn't have killed her off.

Yet does this correlation of the show runners knowing stuff we don't in this case also mean that potentially, Robb didn't name Jon his heir in his will, or maybe that he does, but it doesn't matter because it'll never come to mean anything?

The will is never mentioned on the show. But more importantly is why it's never mentioned -- there's no need for Robb to write a will, because his wife is pregnant, and he believes he will have a child to carry on his line. That means there's probably little chance of a secretly written will that names Jon his heir if he dies without issue.

I'm pretty disappointed by this, because I liked the will both as an indication of how highly Robb thought of Jon, and because it lends credence to the popular Great Northern Conspiracy theory. But if there's nothing official proclaiming Jon legitimate and heir to Winterfell, there's nothing really for the Northern houses to rally around (officially, anyway), and also Robb never even makes the gesture to legitimize Jon. :(

Don't get me wrong; I understand the show and the books are different. But the show runners know the broad strokes, and they've kind of closed the possibility of Robb having had a will and the implications of that will for Jon.

There are many roads to the same city.

That is to say, if the will ends up playing a big role in getting Jon and the North to where their story takes them, the show can take their story to the same destination along a different path.

Exactly. If the will turns out to be important I'm sure they will write it in in the future.

The whole Great Northern Conspiracy is a big pile of bullshit anyway. No one, NO ONE, no matter how much fans want it to happen, is conspiring to get Jon Snow onto any throne anytime soon. Wishful thinking will only get ya so far.

Plus, the show is a different baby. I can see them moving further and further away from the books (I kinda want this) much to the dismay of posters most likely. (eg: How dare Syrio not be bald. A travesty. Yeah, right...)

It's obvious that the show ruins a lot of things, that's why I hate the TV show, even though it was the show that made me read the books in the first place.

We know it was a slim chace, nevertheless a Roob heir was still a possibility in the books. I don't see how they would come up with a Robb's heir in the books and not in the TV show.

You'll probably get a barage of people saying that show canon and book canon are not remotely intertwined however I personally believe that Jeyne Westerling has no further appearances in the books and it was somewhat confirmed by Talisa's death in the tv show.

Yeah I agree with this... But am not convinced the two (show/books) are totally divorced. GRRM is SO protective of his baby... And the show runners have been respectful of the larger plot points thus far.

The subject line is Robb's pregnant wife ON THE SHOW. She was pregnant. I know his wife in the books is not.

She`s also dead in the show and alive in the books. This is another thread trying to use the show as a basis for theories in the books, which is a ridiculous idea in the first place. The show killed her off because JEYNE DOESN`T MATTER and they can`t introduce a love interest to one of the main characters and then just... what? forget about her, ignore her and maybe, eventually, go back to her. Nope. That`s just bad script writing.

D&D killed her off because she has absolutely no bearing on the future of ASOIAF. The sooner fans get that into their heads the sooner we can move on from this nonsense.

She`s also dead in the show and alive in the books. This is another thread trying to use the show as a basis for theories in the books, which is a ridiculous idea in the first place. The show killed her off because JEYNE DOESN`T MATTER and they can`t introduce a love interest to one of the main characters and then just... what? forget about her, ignore her and maybe, eventually, go back to her. Nope. That`s just bad script writing.

D&D killed her off because she has absolutely no bearing on the future of ASOIAF. The sooner fans get that into their heads the sooner we can move on from this nonsense.

Actually, I agree with you about Jeyne, and said so in my original post. You yourself are tying the show to the books with this point, so why can it not be tied back in other ways? Also, if this topic makes you so angry, maybe you should stay away. O.o

You'll probably get a barage of people saying that show canon and book canon are not remotely intertwined however I personally believe that Jeyne Westerling has no further appearances in the books and it was somewhat confirmed by Talisa's death in the tv show.

This.

Actually, I agree with you about Jeyne, and said so in my original post. You yourself are tying the show to the books with this point, so why can it not be tied back in other ways? Also, if this topic makes you so angry, maybe you should stay away. O.o

Yeah I realised that afterwards. Oops. I`m pretty hungover and it`s early morning here so I apologise if I came off as being rude! Did not intend it.

On a side note, what does O.o mean? Is it a wink? Do you have a swollen eye? I`ve seen it all over the internet but have no idea what it`s supposed to convey.

George told D&D the whole plot to ASOIAF, including the ending.

My guess is that by making Robb's wife pregnant and dead this kinda implies that:

A) Jeyne really isn't pregnant, the girl Jaime saw was her :(

B ) Robb never wrote a will and if he did the it isn't of great importance

C) Sansa isn't disinherited and Jon isn't legitimised

It's obvious that the show ruins a lot of things, that's why I hate the TV show, even though it was the show that made me read the books in the first place.

We know it was a slim chace, nevertheless a Roob heir was still a possibility in the books. I don't see how they would come up with a Robb's heir in the books and not in the TV show.

This. Stuff like not including Edric Storm at all, and changing Danys house of the undying experience really hints at their future book importance.

Yeah I realised that afterwards. Oops. I`m pretty hungover and it`s early morning here so I apologise if I came off as being rude! Did not intend it.

On a side note, what does O.o mean? Is it a wink? Do you have a swollen eye? I`ve seen it all over the internet but have no idea what it`s supposed to convey.

LOL, I believe it is a "perplexed" face. At least that's mostly how I use it. I'm sure someone has a more articulate explanation than me.

George told D&D the whole plot to ASOIAF, including the ending.

My guess is that by making Robb's wife pregnant and dead this kinda implies that:

A) Jeyne really isn't pregnant, the girl Jaime saw was her :(

B ) Robb never wrote a will and if he did the it isn't of great importance

C) Sansa isn't disinherited and Jon isn't legitimised

I'm actually totally fine by A), but I'm pretty sad about B) and C). Sigh.

This. Stuff like not including Edric Storm at all, and changing Danys house of the undying experience really hints at their future book importance.

Ugh, I KNOW. They tell us stuff even without telling us. It really annoys me, even though I probably won't stop watching the show, lol. But I love the books first and best, and always will.

Re: Dany at the HotU -- they have basically shown and told us NOTHING of the prophecies. Even Melisandre's scene with Stannis and her fake Lightbringer isn't really doing so. I like to think it is because a) on a TV show, in order to get a point across, you practically have to brain people over the skull with it or they totally miss the significance. And yet, braining people over the skull tells people too much. TV can never be as subtle as the written medium; B) the prophecies many times deal with people/places/events that would be completely baffling to a TV viewer, who at this point has never heard of Arthur Dayne, the Tower of Joy, the existence of Elia Martell, etc. Plus they'd then have to cast all those people; and c) specifically wrt Dany at the HotU, one of the visions she sees is Rhaegar with a woman and a child, and it's still debated amongst book readers who that woman is (and who the child is, but that's of less import because a child can still stay pretty anonymous), and if they showed her, it would give an answer that perhaps we're not meant to have yet.

If any of the prophecies and/or past events do come into play eventually, I kind of suspect they'll do some big "flashback" episode rather than peppering it throughout (as they have done no peppering so far, essentially), and it'll be pretty lame, narratively speaking.

Well they can still show Robb's will in the Tv Show, remember Robb sent Galbart Glover and Lady Maege Mormont to GWW and they have Robb's will with them. The show can easily show Robb's will in the later seasons when they introduce Howland Reed. Well a lot of things can happen and Winds of Winter will probably clear a lot of things for us. Apart from Robb's will, Bran and Rickon are alive and when Davos finds Rickon and brings him to White Harbor the North will rally behind a true-born Stark heir............and if you think about it Robb's will becomes a bit irrelevant when it is found out tht both bran and rickon are alive. Don't get me wrong i'm a Jon Snow supporter but as we know Jon, knowing his brothers are alive Jon will never take winterfell.

Archived