Possible end of series - no iron throne?

Myrgirl

I'm for union in Westeros. Thematically the series points towards union as the ultimate result. The series is about a ruinous civil conflict that occurs in parallel to a growing threat that will destroy the whole continent if it isn't met. This will require serious collective action. No, this does not mean I'm arguing for an Avengers style "all the good guys fight all the bad ones". I'm just saying that huge society-threatening problems require people and groups to work in concert to solve.

I acknowledge that the union under the IT has not been perfect. But we are dealing with a medieval society and monarchy. I think just because union hasn't worked well in the past 300 years does not mean that it is to be discarded completely. Some political reform would go a long way toward creating a more stable and just system in Westeros. Westeros might be centuries away from liberal democracy, but given that they have had a great council of lords in the past, the could have another and that could easily result in the creation of a parliament like body. Such an institution would give the lords a greater stake in realm as a whole and make them more comfortable about supporting national institutions like the NW. Investing such a body with its own powers would also spur the evolution of a more standardized justice system.

Perhaps the Iron Throne being destroyed will be for the best my dears, all it will bring the world is misery and destruction, If I was in westeros I would melt it even if i get executed after...

On the contrary, removing the throne would bring even more destruction than is happening with it present.

Archived