Possible end of series - no iron throne?

Myrgirl

I was wondering if, at the end I'd the series, no one House iwins, and a new order is established granting more freedom, and perhaps independence to each region. Perhaps the series ends with no one in the iron throne, and the iron throne itself destroyed.

It would not surprise me if King's Landing goes the way of Rome, once seat of a large empire, retaining importance as a religious center de facto and de jure ruled by the High Septon, while the rest of the kingdom divides back into smaller, more manageable nations.

I'm a firm believer of this hypothesis, have been thinking along these lines since Storm.

The Iron Throne represents everything that's wrong with Westeros, and is an indirect responsible for much of the woes of the continent, both current and past. There will be no satisfying end with it still standing.

That's likely to happen.. too many Houses with too many good reasons to sit on the Iron Throne. The Targaryens built it, the Baratheons usurped it, the Lannisters earned it (economically I mean), the Martells have always been loyal to the Targaryens, the Starks tried to avenge Eddard's death and the Tyrells sided with the Lannisters, so.. it would be quite a shock if Robert Arryn became King, wouldn't it? :)

I was wondering if, at the end I'd the series, no one House iwins, and a new order is established granting more freedom, and perhaps independence to each region. Perhaps the series ends with no one in the iron throne, and the iron throne itself destroyed.

I guess it would end the game of thrones. They will have to fashion a new name for the game unless a democracy is started.

I guess it would end the game of thrones. They will have to fashion a new name for the game unless a democracy is started.

Gosh WhiteWalder, we have plenty games going on in Washington, DC!

Thanks, everyone. I quite believe for the iron throne to remain at the end seems all, wrong... Somehow. That a new political/social beginning should take place, like a reinaissance... But if someone takes over, right now I'm with the idea of Jon... He seems... Balanced.

A lot of people think this is how the series will end. I however think it will be there will be four kingdoms instead of seven kingdoms.

Which four kingdoms would those be?

I think the IT will stay. But idk, anything's possible. It'd be cool for the series to end with Westeros on a path to a more modern form of government.

Thanks, everyone. I quite believe for the iron throne to remain at the end seems all, wrong... Somehow. That a new political/social beginning should take place, like a reinaissance... But if someone takes over, right now I'm with the idea of Jon... He seems... Balanced.

If the civilization is going towards a democratic one based on the post then Jon wont be in charge since it is "democratic"

in all honesty, if there's no iron throne at the end I'm gonna be pissed off. Keep your damn democracy out of my fantasy, please and thanks.

Why? All the Iron throne has caused is wars galore I think its about time a new form of government is introduced, and also GRRM's world isn't hardcore fantasy like Tolkien's so this is a possibility.

Archived