The song "The Bear and the Maiden Fair"...

That Demon Monkey

I can't find too much on this but saw on the wiki that it is apparently a very old song in Westeros.

Did anyone else get the idea that it was specifically written about Jorah Mormont and his ex wife when they first read about his history ? Obviously it would not be, but damn, it really fits rather perfectly.

I clearly said I know it's not really about him...

Just kinda eery how well it fits. What came first in GRR's mind: the song or Jorah's story? (That is rhetorical)

Well there are certainly more parallels, if (as some people think) Dany falls for Jorah it fits much better there. As she initially didn't like him then warmed to him, Jorah's first wife liked him from the beginning then started to go off him. It also fits as what Jorah thinks will happen in his head, he kisses her and makes her fall in love with him.

As it stands Jorah and Dany is extremely unlikely, but has been used as foreshadowing by some.

There's a lot of sexual innuendo stated a humorous (mutual desire) context throughout the books. Tom Sevenstrings also sings a song about stealing a sweet kiss with a blade in ASOS, and Dunk sings the same song in The Hedge Knight. Lots of phallic symbolism throughout the books and Dunk and Egg, again, not meant to be taken in a dark way. Like Jaime and Brienne "fucking instead of fighting" as his sword "moves into her", they both were enjoying that "fight". Also references to size, like the Littlefinger comment by Myranda and Rohanne saying Dunk was "large all over", also the Fiddler made comments along those lines as well.

As the Wiki says, it's a "ribald" song and "very popular, being enjoyed both by the nobles and the commons":

The song is a motif that reflects the relationships between several characters, including Sandor Clegane and Sansa Stark, Jorah Mormont and Daenerys Targaryen, and, almost comically, Brienne of Tarth and Jaime Lannister (where Sandor, Jorah, and Brienne symbolize "the Bear" who either literally or figuratively saves the "Maiden Fair").

There's a lot of sexual innuendo stated a humorous (mutual desire) context throughout the books. Tom Sevenstrings also sings a song about stealing a sweet kiss with a blade in ASOS, and Dunk sings the same song in The Hedge Knight. Lots of phallic symbolism throughout the books and Dunk and Egg, again, not meant to be taken in a dark way. Like Jaime and Brienne "fucking instead of fighting" as his sword "moves into her", they both were enjoying that "fight". Also references to size, like the Littlefinger comment by Myranda and Rohanne saying Dunk was "large all over", also the Fiddler made comments along those lines as well.

As the Wiki says, it's a "ribald" song and "very popular, being enjoyed both by the nobles and the commons":

<3

I honestly like comparing this song to Jaime/Brienne much more than Dany/Jorah (niceguyTM alert) - it's just such an adorable reversal of roles - in my mind Brienne is the Bear and Jaime is the Maiden Fair. Except then you examine personality and it's not so, Brienne is so maidenly it's adorable and Jaime is quite ... aggressive. Even short a sword hand. Then you think about how he only wants to spar with Ser Ilyn because Ilyn won't "go easy on him" simply because he is "crippled" and because Ilyn can't tell anyone about his "impotency" and then your mind starts going places it shouldn't ...

Archived