If/When Winter Comes, Can the Notth rule Westeros?

Jose Stark

Im not saying it will happen but i was just rewatching season 1 and Cersei tells Joffrey that when Winter comes a royal army wont save even him.....

So the idea of an organized attack by the North in a conquest plan is impossible or a way to remind thh South that the North Remembers the King of the North and the RW?

I think the North can and will save Westeros, but I doubt they'll want to rule. The Northmendon't seem to give a tinker's damn about the southrons and their ways. They want freedom. A modern corollary is the Scottish desire to break away from Britain. There will be a referendum next year and that long-standing wish may become reality. But in either case, a great deal of independence is a necessity.

I think the North can and will save Westeros, but I doubt they'll want to rule. The Northmendon't seem to give a tinker's damn about the southrons and their ways. They want freedom. A modern corollary is the Scottish desire to break away from Britain. There will be a referendum next year and that long-standing wish may become reality. But in either case, a great deal of independence is a necessity.

with polls suggesting around only 30% support for this I very much doubt it will happen we (the Scottish people) realise we are better off and stronger remaining in the union plus the politicians haven't provided a logical reason for us going it alone, all propaganda does nothing more than tug at the heart strings so although its a nice idea most realise its not a realistic one and not for our benefit unlike in westeros where the north are possibly better off being independent

The North is too isolated from the rest of Westeros to rule anything but themselves and their closest border, which I believe is the Riverlands.

This. Consider how difficult it is for the Iron Throne to impose it's will on Winterfell under normal circumstances. Now turn that around see how far more of the regions of Westeros are from the North, and there's just not a logistical way to manage that kind of feudal governance over that distance. The only reason the IR could pull it's weight in the South is because it was relatively close to everything, and gave the North semi-freedom as a means of compromise control.

The North could potentially rule the Riverlands, but that would require more active defenses than I think the North normall likes to have ready, as well getting them involved in Southron marriage alliances. The Vale and Iron Islands are potentials as well based on proximity, but both have such rough terrain a strong sense of regional pride it would be like Daeron I trying to hold Dorne.

with polls suggesting around only 30% support for this I very much doubt it will happen we (the Scottish people) realise we are better off and stronger remaining in the union plus the politicians haven't provided a logical reason for us going it alone, all propaganda does nothing more than tug at the heart strings so although its a nice idea most realise its not a realistic one and not for our benefit unlike in westeros where the north are possibly better off being independent

Are there any ads with Mel Gibson screaming "FREEDOM!!!!"? I ask both for Scotland and for the North of Westeros.

Well, I feel like the North itself can definitely come out of the Winter alive and well. The Starks will probably even be back in Winterfell and in leadership again (in my opinion) after the Winter passes. As for what happens during Winter, I think the North will concentrate on itself, let Winter do its worse to everyone else, and pick up the pieces afterwards.

No one kingdom has the power to rule all seven. The reason Cersei says this to Joff is because the North is too large and too wild to control, epsecially when Winter hits and all the green summer boys freeze while the Northerners sit pretty because they know how to survive their.

Now if the North tried to rule Westeros it would collapse the same. The only way one Great House can rule the others is if they have help from some outside force such as another house, dragons, sellsword companies, etc.

The North may be able to rule the Vale, Riverlands, and Iron Islands but thats a huge stretch even at that.

Archived