Renly wanted Ned to give him the IT

BondJamesBond

I'm going to go ahead and dispute almost everything anyone says in this thread:

-Renly doesn't propose seizing the IT directly; he proposes seizing the royal heirs and enforce Robert's will. Renly is playing the game of thrones here, but not so directly. After Ned turns him down, though, he has to flee KL knowing full well the Lannisters will have it in for him, and then has to decide his next play - supporting Team Lannister seems out, but supporting his brother is an awful idea...

-There doesn't seem to be any reason, other than Donal Noye's comments, to suspect that Renly would have been a bad king or didn't "have what it takes" to become king. Nobody expects the shadow baby assassin inquisition. And everything we've seen of Renly demonstrates that he's charismatic, strategic, clear-sighted, a natural leader, a saavy player, and all-around a guy with the potential to be a perfectly fine king.

-Stannis would be aight as king (under "normal" circumstances). Not, like, spectacular, but not, like, awful. Aight.

Agree with this accept Stannis would arguably be a good king and there is a lot to suggest Renly would be a bad king. He is basically Robert, but not brilliant at winning wars.

I don't think Renly wanted the throne right then, I think it was legitimately a way to remove the Lannisters from influence. He could have just ran away without making offers to Ned.

Oops, you're right, Renly only says to take Joffery from Cersei. Regardless this doesn't prove he would be a bad king.

Agree with this accept Stannis would arguably be a good king and there is a lot to suggest Renly would be a bad king. He is basically Robert, but not brilliant at winning wars.

Well, he won't be drinking, whoring, or making bastards across the realm at least. Also, wanting to be King puts him one step ahead of Robert who fell ass backwards into it. He was fighting because the King called for his head and Rhaegar had Lyanna, it wasn't a take over type rebellion until some point in the middle of it, then he was stuck. He would still have been a shit King if Lyanna was his wife. He's dreaming if he thinks Lyanna would be any nice to him than Cersei because Lyanna would have been outwardly bitchy to him for his whoring and drinking.

Renly would be way, way better than Robert, and probably smarter financially. However, he'd be toast when the Others invaded.

Truth, I like Stannis, and I think he'd make a better King if he went the route of Belen from Dragon Age who just basically took out all the nobles so he didn't have to deal with their shit anymore lol

Stannis would be a terrific King if it was dictatorship ship style, but not with powerful rivals who would hate him for cutting of their son's balls for raping a washerwoman.

Archived