Is the rest of the series too obvious?

Mormont'sRaven

It's inevitable that some developments are going to be predictable once a story has passed its halfway point, but the journey can still be highly satisfying. I think the Dunk and Egg novellas are all highly predictable from start to finish, but they are still well written high quality stories. ASOIAF is so complicated that it has a built in shield against predictability. I agree that we can see certain general developments occurring with greater clarity than the earlier books, but I think in general character arcs are still very artfully concealed.

Is anybody else going to be massively disappointed if the whole dany v aegon dance 2.0 thing happens? I mean if that is a major plot point I'm just going to find it hard to care, it's a reprisal of a distant historical event in westeros that I haven't been given much reason to be interested in and I really have limited interest in aegon too. I'd rather see dany butt heads with the characters I've grown to know and love or hate, and in an unpredictable series of events too not some "history repeats itself" type deal

The beautiful thing about GRRM is that while, yes, something may be "obvious" (realising the obvious is a whole lot easier on these forums, where everything, and I mean everything is discussed with such fantastic detail and insight!), but that does not mean what follows will be obvious, or so cut and dry. Example: What if Jon is actually AAR? But what if he's dead? Who knows if that'll happen, but GRRM always manages to make the obvious happen in ways that are less obvious.

You should spare yourself the hassle of reading the last two books if you truly believe in your OP :-)

for Shireen. Jon is in the North

I think Shireen will die. Whether it's TWOW or ADOS she'll die, even though she hasn't done anything to die.

As for Jon being King on the Iron Throne, I'm open to the possibly of him sitting on it (especially if it's a Fire Eater theory). I don't mind Jon just being King in the North at all.

And just to add when people say it's cliché if Jon sits the IT, I think the more people say it and go against it, the more the idea becomes cliché.

This reminds me of that meme that was circling around the tv show boards a few months back, about how the show had become so predictable because everyone could tell now that Dany was going to come back to Westeros and help Robb Stark defeat the bad guys.....

That made me laugh. I don't watch the show, but I presume that it was a case of, well, they are both main characters so...like every other show on TV ever. Turns out George doesn't just invert literary tropes.

I think Shireen will die. Whether it's TWOW or ADOS she'll die, even though she hasn't done anything to die.

As for Jon being King on the Iron Throne, I'm open to the possibly of him sitting on it (especially if it's a Fire Eater theory). I don't mind Jon just being King in the North at all.

And just to add when people say it's cliché if Jon sits the IT, I think the more people say it and go against it, the more the idea becomes cliché.

I haven't seen that theory could you please post the link?

I doubt anything is going to be predictable...for example the "most predictable outcomes" for the upcomming cliffhangers in WoW are probably as follows...

-Stannis wins his battle in the snow, defeats roose and takes winterfell

-Cersei uses robert strong in her trial and defeats the faiths champion

-dany returns to mereen on the back of her dragon to lead her people to victory, probably with the help of the khalasar

-margary wins her trial as well...

-jon snow comes back to life in one way or another

now, saying as these are the most probable outcomes....im pretty much 100% sure at least one of these things, if not 2, or three are going to be completely off and not go at all according to plan...one of those characters (at least) will be dead as fuck by the first 3rd of WoW

I agree. I think Euron, the Citadel, the Faceless Men, what the Faith Militant is gonna do etc. are total wildcards at the moment. We also don't know how Bran will be used in the endgame (it's never said he'll fight the Others). I think the CotF might be up to something sinister.

Daenerys coming to Westeros and defeating the Others with her dragons could have been predicted since the end of AGoT, which is why I think GRRM has a twist on that up his sleeve.

There are certain things that can be predicted because of the foreshadowing, but it's either vague or doesn't tell us much about how the events are gonna play out. I for one have no idea where we'll stand by the end of TWOW.

The faith militant are one of the least discussed armed factions and it seems easy to dismiss them , but how many of them are there and how fanatical are they?

I feel the exact opposite. I think the series has grown so huge, the storylines so scattered and disconnected, and the plot so dispersed and unfocused that I have no idea how the story is going to move forward.

I still don't know if this is a good thing or not :dunno:

This reminds me of that meme that was circling around the tv show boards a few months back, about how the show had become so predictable because everyone could tell now that Dany was going to come back to Westeros and help Robb Stark defeat the bad guys.....

:bowdown:

Archived