Never finding out who Young Griff really is

Azor Ahoy!

It's a big deal to the readers though.

Why exactly?

If it has no effect on the plot, what's the need of explaining it?

Leaving his identity unrevealed is much more powerful in my opinion.

It's a big deal to the readers though. I like the mystery of certain events. For example, I'm ok with the events of Dany and the funeral Pyre never being explained, and just giving it the vague label as a "miracle". If Aegon really is a Targaryen, then there's nothing to be revealed and all is well. If he is a Blackfyre, and there is a lot of foreshadowing for this fact, then Martin almost has to reveal it. He's not going to setup the foreshadowing and the sublte plot points only to fall short and never reveal it.

Mabye it is sort of a gift to his dedicated readers- Most of the readers will never find out (f)Aegon's identity, but those who pick up all the clues will know he is a Blackfyre.

Why exactly?

If it has no effect on the plot, what's the need of explaining it?

Leaving his identity unrevealed is much more powerful in my opinion.

Well I think it would have huge ramifacations for Dany's plot and arc. Also, while it's clear Varys has been in Griff's corner pretty much since the beginning, it effects Varys's plot too, if only we can get to the bottom of his motivations, so I think Aegon being a Blackfyre does have some faily large significance plot wise.

As to why it's important for the readers, it's all about tieing up loose ends. Readers enjoy stuff like that. What if we never learned it was Joffrey who sent the assassin after Bran, would that have been more powerful? It's nice to get closure on some of these issues, and while I believe most of the magical aspect will never be explained, these more tangible political truths are a lot easier to give an explanation to. I'm also hoping Tywin's death, Shae in Tywin's bed, Oberyn's attempted poisoning all get's cleared up at some point too.

Also, why would you foreshadow an even in a story and never reveal it? That's what makes powerful writing, having and event build up until it finally comes to fruition. The RW was a a perfect example of this. A tragic event that was being subtely foreshadowed, and when it finally happened it was just horrible.

'Groat' wrote:

I can't see Martin leaving a huge loose end like Aegon's identity unresolved. It will be revealed.

=========================================================================

I totally agree. Even if the boy is killed in the next battle, it's important to know who he is because it confirms the subtleties of the conspiracy to put him on the throne. It is certainly part of Varys's long game, but may also include Illyrio, JonC, and others. If Illyrio is included, especially if he's the lad's father as is sometimes conjectured here, it also sheds light on his strategy. Was he hedging his bets by supporting Dany, Tyrion, etc? Was Varys?

The conundrum of fAegon's identity is nott just part of the Game. It is a late but integral part of the richness of GRRM's tapestry, so I doubt he'll leave this thread untied.

Aegon's identity isn't a big deal though.

Power lies where men believe it lies, if people believe him to be a Targ, he will be a Targ.

exactly, I will actually be a bit disappointed if we find out what his actual identity is...specially if its revealed hes fake and his downfall is directly linked to his bloodline....Ive always felt aegons theme is the answer to varys riddle "power resides where men believe it does)

• 2 weeks later...

Aegon's identity isn't a big deal though.

Power lies where men believe it lies, if people believe him to be a Targ, he will be a Targ.

Exactly. Of all the mysteries, this is one that doesn't bother me. Even if he is real, some Westerosi would cry fake and vice versa just because that's the nature of revolutions.

The fact that he is behaving as though is is the real deal is what matters for the story.

Whether he's Rhaegar's son, a Blackfyre descendant, a Dayne, or some kid Varys found on the street, he's going to burn the same.

yeah...what if hes really Rhaegar's son...how do you want to see his identity revealed?..when it has already been explained. I don't see George writing a line like..."No,hes not a Blackfyre,hes indeed a Targaryen" ..just to pacify some fan theory...His identity is what has been said to us in the books...and if it is something else..i don't expect it will be revealed.

Archived