Never finding out who Young Griff really is

Azor Ahoy!

I would really like it if the true identity of Young Griff remains unknown to the reader even after the end of the series, leaving it open for the reader to decide whether he's really Aegon, a Blackfyre, a random kid from Lys or Myr, or someone else entirely. What do you think? Is this a likely GRRM tease?

I think we will definitely find out who he is, his arc and the mystery has to be completed especially considering hes now right in the thick of the action, to complete his arc but his not reveal his real identity would be too cruel and a proper grrm style tease ah wait we may never find out even if he ends up dead, on the IT or whatever

I never liked the way Inception ended.

I did :D

I wouldn't mind it of we didn't find out who he really was. With Dany declaring he's a fake and a mummer's dragon and him saying he's the son of Rhaegar and Elia, people won't know who to believe.

But seeing as I believe he's a Blackfyre (but he doesn't know he is) I'll still think he's a Blackfyre if its not revealed who he is.

:agree: :D I was going mad of the way Inception ended.

In fact it's pretty likely. And not only this, but most of the fan theories too. About 3% of them will be resolved for certainty and that's going to be so annoying. I'd like to find out about Jon's mother and Young Griff and I'm all good and fine.

What? That was a great ending, on so many levels.

As far a whether or not we find out who he is for sure, I think we will, but would't be at all surprised if we didn't.

I wouldn't mind if fAegon's true identity always remains a secret. Maybe he was a red dragon, maybe a black dragon or perhaps a bright dragon. We'll never know. What we know is that he's Varys' dragon. And that's enough for me.

I want the readers to find out but not the characters :D

That would be the best trolling in book history if the fake got the IT and the real deals (Jon, Stannis, Shireen or Dany) don't ;)

Imagine the fury of readers :P

If we never find out who f(Aegon) is then wouldn't that mean he's a Targaryan?

I think if you reach the end of a book without being told that someone has a secret identity then they must be who they say they are. Just like if we never find out that Tyrion has a secret identity that would mean he's a Lannister.

No, it would mean we would just never find out if he was the real Aegon or not. Some people might assume that if we didn't find out otherwise it just meant that Aegon is what Varys claims he is, but they wouldn't be any more correct than anyone who said he was a Blackfyre; it would be open to anyone's interpretation.

I can't see Martin leaving a huge loose end like Aegon's identity unresolved. It will be revealed.

Aegon's identity isn't a big deal though.

Power lies where men believe it lies, if people believe him to be a Targ, he will be a Targ.

It depends on how his story arc is handled. If he does end up King at some point, I think we will get some sort of revelation on his true identity. If he ends up not being very important in the endgame (which I doubt) it may be left open for interpretation.

Aegon's identity isn't a big deal though.

Power lies where men believe it lies, if people believe him to be a Targ, he will be a Targ.

It's a big deal to the readers though. I like the mystery of certain events. For example, I'm ok with the events of Dany and the funeral Pyre never being explained, and just giving it the vague label as a "miracle". If Aegon really is a Targaryen, then there's nothing to be revealed and all is well. If he is a Blackfyre, and there is a lot of foreshadowing for this fact, then Martin almost has to reveal it. He's not going to setup the foreshadowing and the sublte plot points only to fall short and never reveal it.

Archived