Line of Succession to Tyrion

BondJamesBond

If Tommen dies without issue then the crown passes to Myrcella. However, if Myrcella dies or is already dead (as the prophecy says will happen) and Myrcella has no issue then we have to look to Myrcella's heir. Myrcella's heir is Cersei with Jaime being ineligible as a member of KG. However, if Cersei is unavailable, then Tyrion is the next in line as Myrcella's closest blood relative (her uncle).

The above is allowing for female heir ship which doesn't happen in Westeros as there has never been a ruling queen of the Seven Kingdoms as a unified entity and there is scant evidence of a ruling queen in any of the individual kingdoms prior to Aegon's Conquest.

Hence, the legal result will be if Tommen dies then the kingship skips over Jaime due to his being a KG and Tyrion is next in line, assuming he can show up and take the crown.

Obviously, if Tommen dies, Tyrion still has major practical hurdles to being king, but he is legally the next in line if he can overcome actually having been sentenced to death in his trial.

ETA: am I missing something?

Cersei and Tyrion could never inherit the IT. They are Lannisters and have no royal Baratheon blood. The only reason Tommen and Myrcella have claims is because they are being passed off as Baratheons even though they have no Baratheon blood either. If Tommen and Myrcella die then the heir would have to be a member of House Baratheon, which is Stannis, though he has been attainted by the crown.

Saying that Tyrion would inherit the crown is like saying that, if all the Starks were dead, then Edmure would become King in the North as he would be Robbs uncle and closest living relative.

Cersei and Tyrion could never inherit the IT. They are Lannisters and have no royal Baratheon blood. The only reason Tommen and Myrcella have claims is because they are being passed off as Baratheons even though they have no Baratheon blood either. If Tommen and Myrcella die then the heir would have to be a member of House Baratheon, which is Stannis, though he has been attainted by the crown.

Saying that Tyrion would inherit the crown is like saying that, if all the Starks were dead, then Edmure would become King in the North as he would be Robbs uncle and closest living relative.

I'm pretty sure it works like most modern inheritance laws except women can't inherit kingships.

If all the Starks were dead, I think Edmure likely would have to be invited over to rule unless his current post disqualifies him. That's how lots of European monarchs got "invited" to be king.

it goes tommen, myrcella, stannis then shireen. its after shireen that it gets interesting

This is probably correct but I question the female inheritance since there is no precedent. Has there been no example of any other situation where there has been no male heir. Why is myrcella before Stannis?

I'm pretty sure it works like most modern inheritance laws except women can't inherit kingships.

If all the Starks were dead, I think Edmure likely would have to be invited over to rule unless his current post disqualifies him. That's how lots of European monarchs got "invited" to be king.

I'm no expert on how it worked in the real Middle Ages, but it doesn't seem to work that way in the world of ASOIAF. I can't think of a single example of someone inheriting a seat without having the blood of the House that rules said seat (with the exception of Joffrey and tommen since the are "pretend" Baratheons)

Eh, not really. Let's say Prince William is King. He dies, and then Prince George dies. The throne isn't automatically passed to the Middletons. Sure, the Middletons could claim the throne by right of conquest (though obviously, given the ceremonial nature of the British throne today, that seems incredibly unlikely), but they do not have automatic blood rights simply because a member of House Middleton married a member of House Mountbatten-Windsor.

The last time there was a crazy succession issue with the Targs, a Great Council was formed to determine who would rule.

Stannis and Shireen have been removed from the line of succession, what with Stannis being an attainted traitor.

Mycella's heir depends on whether Baratheon rule is based on conquest or their Targareyen blood. If conquest, it goes to the closest trueborn Baratheon relative or Edric Storm. If Targ blood, then it may include the Martells,

Realistically speaking, it'll go to the person with the largest army-eg, if Stannis shows up with a giant army and Cersei's children are dead, his status as a traitor won't matter.

Archived