Ser Barristan Selmy

MidnightAurora

I just finished a ASOS and found myself not liking Ser Barristan ostly because his actions and reasons seemed to be somewhat hypocritical. Ser Barristan Selmy served Jhaneys then King Aerys and made a note he did not like Varys because he felt Varys was the start of Aerys ruin, but more on that later. He took Robert's pardon and continued to serve on the KG and he would have continued to serve on the KG if Joffrey did not dismiss him. Here are a few of my thoughts... After being dismissed he went in search of Dany and Viserys as his true king and if he thought that why would he not seek them out earlier? He stated that Dany's mother tried to shield Viserys from his father's lapses, but even as a boy he saw Viserys was more like his father and had a madness in him. If he saw Viserys true nature wouldn't he have noticed Joffrey was the same or worse? Yet, he stil served Joffrey and did nothing to help Eddard and even left the room when Eddard called a small council meeting before being summoned to the throne room. Isn't it hypocrital of him saying and doing things if it weren't from the fact that he was dismissed and gold cloaks were ent to retrieve him he would have served Joffrey faithfully even though Joffrey was just like Viserys probably worse? Why not help Eddard when he had a chance or his son instead of going off to find Dany? How did he find Illyrio and does he know Illyrio and Varys know each other?

Barristan thought Aerys had lapses, but were few and were forgiven yet he continued to have more lapses more frequent. He stated Varys came around the time the lapses became more frequent. Do you think Varys or someone did something to Aerys to kind of turn him mad paranoid?

I liked how Jaime stated to the KG that they are to protect the king especially from themselves. I liked the example if the King tells you to to saddle his horse obey, If he tells you to kill his horse you come to me. Shouldn't thi have been true with the KG with Joffrey, Aerys and Robert?

Right now, i am frustrated at Ser Barristan Selmy because he seems a bit of a hypocrite right now in my eyes.

Thoughts? Do you think he would have continued to serve faithfully if Joffrey was not stupid enough to dismiss him? Do you think he should have done more to help Eddard? If he saw Viserys for his true nature he must have seen Joffrey for his nature and yet did nothing..why do you think?

If he did see Joffrey's true nature why did he help make sure he ascended the throne? If he was still in the KG do you think he would have stood by, participated or intervened when Joffrey was chastising Sansa?

According to Catelyn's POVs Ser Barristan Selmy made a vow to serve only the rightful heir to the throne from now on, hence the reason Renly was saving a place for him in his Kingsguard.

This book only made it obvious for the readers which one was the person Ser Barristan considered the rightful heir to the throne.

Archived